PDA

View Full Version : How to - Maintenance of probes

aqua_digital
07.04.2013, 21:15
In this little how to guide I want to discuss the maintenance of your probes being an essential part of your system.

pH Probes
pH probes should be cleaned in tank water (or pH 4 solution) every two weeks and re-calibrated every month for optimal precision. It is not uncommon if left long enough to find little sponges taking up residence in the gap between the housing and the membrane, this can lead to membrane blockage. A regular tooth brush clean not only removes any debris but also stops calciferous build ups.

Temperature probes
Same as above in respect to cleaning except for calibration, the temp probe is factory calibrated and should never be played with.

Salinity/Conductivity probes
These probes can be more subject to low readings when tiny particles build up on the plates, I suggest placing the probe on the exit chamber of your sump if possible after filter sock and also skimmer, this eliminates much of the debris coming down the drains and also puts the probe in a non volatile water flow area.

Clean the probe by vigorously swilling in the sump water every 7 days, you will notice the reading will likely rise a few notches

Note - This is THE exact reason a salinity probe should be for reference only and never for any form of ATO

Calibrate monthly

Redox
Other than placement treat as you would the salinity probe, however you may note a higher reading if placed with the salinity probe due to post skimmed water.

ALL probes are not water proof at the cable entrance point, it is advised to place the probes in a position where the water level will not go above the cable entrance to avoid shortening the life of your probe.

Andyos
10.04.2013, 10:52
This is great advice but I have a question on the lifetime of the pots of pH Calibration fluid - once opened, how long do the pots stay at the correct level etc? Is it better to use the sealed sachets each month? Regards, Andy

aqua_digital
10.04.2013, 12:22
providing not contaminated and kept out the light then 1 year is always my advise.