PDA

View Full Version : Rs 232 adapter?

Karsseboom
06.04.2013, 07:12
I'm trying to upload the latest firmware to the profilux 3 and I only have one rs 232 connection on the back of my pc and its used for my monitor. Are I supposed to use an adaptor to convert it to USB?

Gunther
06.04.2013, 10:21
I only have one rs 232 connection on the back of my pc and its used for my monitor
Surely not. This is video output (SUB-D15) and not RS232 (SUB-D9) - If it´s really a SUB-D9 and connected to the monitor as video cable then you have EGA video which is from the stone age of computers (~1980-1995).

Are I supposed to use an adaptor to convert it to USB?
Why? The PL3 has a build-in USB connector and a cable is comming with the device, so there is no problem* to update the PL3 via USB.

*Remark: Normally there is no problem to update the PL3 via USB. However, if it fails due power outtage or any other reason it´s good to have the original serial cable from GHL and a PC with a RS232 in reach to perform an emergency update of the firmware.

BigAl07
06.04.2013, 14:25
I'm trying to upload the latest firmware to the profilux 3 and I only have one rs 232 connection on the back of my pc and its used for my monitor. Are I supposed to use an adaptor to convert it to USB?

Make sure your PC has an RS232 connection. It looks similar to the Video Out connection but it's not the same if you put them side-by-side. They just look similar but are indeed not the same. Many times the Video Out will have a "blue" insert (not always).

Karsseboom
06.04.2013, 16:48
Well maybe my computer doesn't have an rs232 connection. There is only one plug that look similar and it's used for the monitor. The reason I ask is because I watched the video on YouTube about uploading firmware and the guy says to use a rs232 connection when doing this. If I can use a USB and get the same results that would work to.

JasonK
06.04.2013, 16:53
Normally, USB Firmware updates work OK, but in the event it failed and you needed to flash your firmware you would need to get a USB to RS232 converter in this case.

AndreO
07.04.2013, 07:26
I highly recomend that you get USB to RS-232 adapter. I tried usb to usb and I had a dead profilux. ( it makes sence since during install it does shut down and restart so the usb card losses power) so get the adapter and you will not regret it.