PDA

View Full Version : Special serial cable?

leontet
08.02.2013, 19:54
Hi there!

I know this is not a pre-sales question, but I couldn't find a better place on these forums to post a rather simple question.

I just got my ProfiLux 3.1N eX Ultimate set. When checking the contents of the package, I saw the special serial cable (enhanced RS232) was missing. I wonder if this cable is still supposed to be in there or GHL has lately decided it is useless as long as a USB cable is supplied?

As I have to take some action if the cable is really missing, a quick reply would be highly appreciated!
BTW, which is the action I should take? Returning the package to the seller cannot be an option, as I bought the set from Germany and I live in Romania!

Kind regards,
Teo

Gunther
08.02.2013, 20:16
In general, the serial cable isn´t neccessary anymore. However, if you have to perform an emergency update (power drop via firmware update or so) the serial cable can be used to bring back the PL alive. With new PL 3.1 it´s also possible to use an USB cable for that, but unfotunately it´s neccessary to open the PL and set a jumper to do so. And the manual for that is not translated yet ....

leontet
08.02.2013, 20:58
Thank you for making me understand better the usefulness of the special serial cable! I have already updated the firmware in my PL to v5.15 without knowing that if it fails I'll be doomed!

But still I don't know if this cable is supposed to be included in the ProfiLux 3.1N ex Ultimate set?

Gunther
08.02.2013, 21:08
I'll be doomed!

No, but it´s a little bit less comfortable to do an emergency update via USB

But still I don't know if this cable is supposed to be included in the ProfiLux 3.1N ex Ultimate set?
Ultimate set description doesn´t name it.

leontet
08.02.2013, 21:46
No, but it´s a little bit less comfortable to do an emergency update via USB
I understood that from your previous message -- thank you for making it clear to me. Anyway, you mentioned a German language instruction manual for performing emergency updates by USB. Believe it or not, I did study German for 13 years, so I can understand it pretty well. Would you be so kind to send me a link to the instructions manual, or if not available online to send it to me by email HERE (leontet@canals.ro)? I don't need this manual right now, but it's wise to have it handy in the future.

Ultimate set description doesn´t name it.
Well, as a matter of fact both the printed manual that came with the set and the GHL web page HERE (http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System__E_/Products/Sets/sets.html) state the cable is part of the set. It seems you checked a newer and updated version of this information and that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much!

Gunther
08.02.2013, 21:56
So you can read it here:

http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?6387-Hilfe-Profilux-3-ist-tot&p=41439#post41439

leontet
08.02.2013, 23:44
Thank you very much, Gunther -- things are more than clear!