PDA

View Full Version : USB Problems

Halfmoon
23.12.2012, 04:02
Well, I finally got my Mitras installed. Got the latest GHL Control program, installed with no problem. Hooked up the USB and can't connect. The driver doesn't load automatically as stated in the Quick start guide, the device manager doesn't have COM/ LPT options. I'm running Win 7 64 fully updated. Uninstalled and reinstalled the GHL software and same results. Searched these forums, no-one else seems to have this problem. How do I get the COM/ LPT option to show up in Device Manager? This laptop has no LPT port, nor does any computer in my house, they went the way of the floppy. If I could find the COM port option maybe I could adjust that, but it doesn't exist. Going to put my Profilux 3 online tomorrow, hope it's easier than this.

aqua_digital
23.12.2012, 22:23
If your PC is not showing LPT/COM port in device manager then this is the issue. Even without the Mitras plugged in this is a standard part of device manager, it has nothing to do with Mitras for this to show up

Here is my windows 7 laptop without Mitras connected showing COM/LPT

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i159/monitors-direct/Picture1-13_zpsd9a98701.jpg

In regards to language - this can be done from the front panel, I believe under extras

Halfmoon
23.12.2012, 22:52
Thanks for the reply, my device manager doesn't show COM ports, plugging in the USB doesn't load a driver and connecting to the Mitras is so far is impossible. Could be something simple, the manual, forums and internet have resulted in no answers. Not a good sign for me, GHL is moving to controlling the Profilux through the same software as the Mitras and short of buying another computer I won't be able to use it. Not happy.

aqua_digital
23.12.2012, 23:04
Hi

as I said above this is not a GHL or Mitras issue, if you PC is not showing any COM port than your PC has an issue, something we can not resolve for you. We dont have control over a users PC or any issue that maybe present on it, sorry.

You may need to add the ports manually. Go into "add/remove hardware", then choose the option that says "let me choose what hardware to install", then go to "choose hardware from a list". Scroll down the list and find the "com ports". Then choose to "add com port". Do the same for lpt.

If that does not work you will have to seek some technical help with your PC as this will effect any USB device you try and use on your computer.

Halfmoon
23.12.2012, 23:22
I understand you have no control over my PC, however this problem doesn't affect any other USB device I use. I was able to update the PLC software with a cheap best buy adapter, rs232-USB, and the computer loaded the driver and it worked no problem. The Mitras USB simply doesn't work. I'll figure something out, I got my controller back to English buy guessing at what the German word for language is. Not trying to be negative, but when one spends this kind of money one expects some things to work out the box, like say a USB connection, hasn't been the case with me so far. Two days and I don't even have a return pump running off the controller, just **********.

aqua_digital
23.12.2012, 23:32
Hi

I maybe wrong but the Mitras possibly uses a virtual COM port for this to work the COM and LPT needs to be present on your device manager. Just because other USB devices are using non virtual does not mean the Mitras is the issue just using different system and your PC needs to have COM activated.

My camera uses a virtual com port and if this was not assigned in device manager it too would not work, that does not mean the camera is at fault.

Windows 7 should come with COM/LPT activated but if you do a Google search you will see multiple threads from users stating their COM/LPT has gone missing, so your issue is not unique or related to Mitras or GHL

I am merely trying to reassure you that this is not a product related issue so you dont get **********.

But to ease your frustration could you possibly follow the advise posted above? it may help. Thanks.

Also make sure the USB cable in plugged in firmly to the Mitras.

In regards to updating software you dont need an adapter to do this unless you have crashed the firmware, you can do firmware updates from the software directly.

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 00:13
Installed the COM port, code 10, doesn't start. Pointed it to the driver folder in the GHL Control Center folder.

The reason I used the RS232 converter was because I watched your video on how to update firmware. I assumed since the how to video was posted that was the preferred way to do it.

Thanks for the help, I'm not an expert however I'm not computer illiterate either. I've installed other controllers and many light systems over the years and never had issues like I'm having with "The best" controller and lights out there today. I've RTFM too many times to count, I've read the forums for weeks waiting on my order to come in so I'd be prepared. Nothing prepared me for this level of frustration. Thanks again for the help, I'll keep trying today. The next two days are out as Christmas celebrations with the family take precedence. I might have this working in a month. :) Not what I expected.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 00:19
Unfortunately the frustration is coming from the feeling it is a GHL issue where its good old windows. As I said above, my camera uses virtual port for USB, its not the cameras fault if my PC does not have the correct settings it should have.

Its all too easy to blame the new kid on the block in the system, if you can get past that I think your frustration will ease and we can help you get set up where possible.

Here to help.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 00:23
Please follow these steps

1. Follow my guidance above about resetting windows bug for deleting the COM/LPT port and make sure COM/LPT now is displayed
2. attached the Mitras to a USB port making sure the cable is firmly plugged in
3. Open Mitras software
4. Click on administration and then device manager
5. Note what COM port the driver is using
6 Double click the mitras shown in the connection tab and edit the COM port to match
7. close the dialogue box and click connect

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 01:09
Well, I did all that, the com port points to the GHL driver and I get code 10, that's windows fault. OK
Google shows a code 10 as a bad driver or counterfeit chips, GHL would have neither.
So what chip is in the Mitras so that I can find a good driver?
Really, I'm not trying to lay blame, I just want my lights to work as advertised. At top dollar I really don't think that's too much to ask. I'll start searching for different virtual com port drivers and start trying them, maybe I'll get lucky. If I do, I'll post what I've found.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 01:32
I am sure you have searched the forums and seen nobody has reported code 10 as an issue and your download is not different to anyone else's so we can assume the driver is stable, otherwise it would be a product wide issue.

However code 10 on searching states "corrupt driver" this can happen from time to time on a bad download or if some internal settings to the system files have been manipulated.

I would suggest following this route

1. Uninstall the software
2. Go to device manager and make sure that COM and LPT are now showing, if not please revert back to my original advise on fixing this
3. Reload software
4. Connect Mitras and follow last step by step advise.

As this is not a reported issue, if the above fails then I would suggest connecting the lamp to a friends PC or laptop to rule anything else out. But it sounds like due to the missing COM port the drivers settings may have been changed or corrupted.

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 02:09
No joy, I realize I'm the only one that seems to have this problem. I'll keep trying things, thanks for the help. Maybe I need to uninstall a fifth time and edit the registry to delete anything there then reinstall. I'm grasping for straws here. Time for a glass of my favorite Canadian beverage, Crown.

doggydoc10
24.12.2012, 04:14
I am looking into this solution since I am still trying to connect Mitras to my PC
So half moon don't feel bad....you are NOT alone.

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 04:32
I am looking into this solution since I am still trying to connect Mitras to my PC
So half moon don't feel bad....you are NOT alone.
Glad to know I'm not alone, I'm at a loss, tried everything I can think of. If I knew what chip is in the Mitras perhaps I could go to that manufacturer website and get a driver there, don't know what else to do. I'm still looking though, some of it's quite funny though, like Microsoft's solution "Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver".

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 14:53
Ok we need to keep this on topic.

Doggdoc - Your issue is not related, your issue is due to you using MAC and a known issue virtual machine has with windows drivers. Perry's issue is with Windows.

Perry - Unfortunately you are alone with this issue and it seems related to your PC not having COM or LPT activated in device manager. I am still not clear if you have activated this. If you have you may need to then create manually a virtual COM port, we can help you with this.

The driver is stable if it was not then you would find lots of threads on this as what you downloaded is no different and I am very confident if you tried it on a friends laptop the issue would not be present.

So way forward to help

1. Please post screen shot of your device manager showing the COM port
2. Please open the COM port and with Mitras connected we can see what is listed.

If nothing listed we will talk you through adding a virtual port.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 16:33
I have done more research and been onto Windows support for you

Code 10 also relates to a comparability issue with other software loaded on your computer

The Code 10 error pertains mainly to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-usb-drive-this-device-cannot-start-code/3021c2c3-f595-4a9d-afc6-bbc6d9b69bc9

There is a mass of helpful hints on Google other than the above for resolving this.

I hope that helps

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 16:36
Here is more help

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-10-error.htm

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 16:43

Tried this morning with an Acer that I use for a front end on my home theater, same thing. Not sure how to get the screen shot to appear in the thread, it loaded as attachment. Apparently photobucket doesn't like pdf files, learning all kinds of new stuff with this problem. :) I did add the COM port as you can see in the pdf, but it's Code 10 and basically does not work, so something is wrong in my sequence I'm guessing.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 16:47
Ok good, it is also showing the driver so its recognizing it.

There is something in your registry blocking it, possibly the port number its using, it may not be recognizing such a low value, mine sits on 15 yours is using 2.

I think this is covered in the windows link I sent you.

I am looking at another option also right now and will revert back

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 16:52
Double click on the virtual com port that has been installed the one that shows the yellow warning

Click on port settings
Click on advanced
Change com port to 15
close and restart your pc
Change com port in Mitras connection tab to com 15

try again

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 16:53
edit -

after restart check com port is still 15 if not match mitras to new com port

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 17:13
No joy, I'll go check the links posted, see what I can do from there.

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 17:47
Looks like the same links I found searching late into last night.
Changed the COM port to match at 15, tried 25 last night, neither worked. Even made the baud rate match at 38400.
Tried deleting the registry values indicated, won't let me delete them for some reason.
Tried to go to Samsung support to update drivers for this laptop, tells me I have an invalid model number, their support is lacking though. Full of dead links.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 17:59
Hmmm sounds like you have multiple lap top issues, this will be hard for us to resolve. The only thing I can suggest is take it to a repair shop to sort out the issues. From my research it seems you have an issue within device manager as you should be able to delete those values.

I will try at some point today to set up a mitras here at home and send you screen shots of my settings in device manager.

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 19:08
Deleted the values in the registry, changed permissions, rebooted fine. Removed the COM port, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. Still the same result. I really don't think I have multiple issues, naturally I could, but I keep this laptop clean and it runs fine. The only problem I've had is trying to run this GHL software, no other USB problems at all. Like I said the Rs232 adapter worked, I would've thought that would be a problem since RS232 ports are all but extinct on modern computers, but it worked without a hitch. A tech would have to make a house call and I know none that would do that, at least without paying out the you know what.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 19:23
I understand - the problem is we have not a lot to go on as there are no other reported cases globally and the download is the same for everyone.

I would try another PC I cant imagine you having issues with multiple devices.

You can open a support ticket up with GHL directly and see what they come up with for you.

http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 19:42
As I stated I hooked up to another PC that is only used as a front end for my home theater. It's clean with minimal software to run off my home server for music, pictures and movies on the TV. Same thing happens. I have a brother that has written code since 1980, unfortunately he isn't making it to town for Christmas this year, however in the past the first thing he asks is "What changed". That is your problem if the computer ran fine before. I'll try the ticket route, thanks.

aqua_digital
24.12.2012, 19:46
Unfortunately we have not a lot to go on as its not a reported issue and you have the same download as everyone else :(

I just installed it on my home laptop running windows 7 to look at some settings for you and it works fine as expected.

I am not sure what support GHL are offering over the christmas period through until next year, but I have emailed all available members to make them aware.

If you like I can post my screen shots and see if you can spot any differences.

Halfmoon
24.12.2012, 21:03
Sure post the screen shots, not worried about support since this is soon to be on the back burner, Christmas with family and friends for the next couple days. Unfortunately none of them are into aquariums and I know of no-one in my local reef club with Mitras. They're waiting on my opinion before they jump.

Halfmoon
26.12.2012, 16:20
Sometimes it's simple, turns out the USB is tricky to get it to connect. I figured that everything goes back to a driver not loading, so first thing is I'm probably not getting a connection. Got up close with a magnifying glass at the light connection, made sure things lined up and that's was it. It feels like a solid connection but it can fool you, me anyway. Plugged into the PC, drivers loaded, GHL Control connected without issue. Now I need to figure out how to change and save settings. Thanks for the help, happy for the moment. :)

Matthias
27.12.2012, 09:11
OK, can we have a summary of this 3 pages thread in order to help other customers in the future with similar problems?

I read things about manually installing drivers, deleting registry keys, etc...

This is all NOT necessary - the needed drivers are installed during installation of GHL Control Center, these are GHL-drivers and no generic drivers.

How was it solved at the end?

aqua_digital
27.12.2012, 14:24
I think I mentioned this

Also make sure the USB cable in plugged in firmly to the Mitras.

:)

Glad you are up and running

Halfmoon
27.12.2012, 17:34
I thought the USB was plugged in, apparently it's able to slide in off to the side and feels like it is plugged in. I got up close and double checked it, made sure it lined up and connected. So, when I thought the USB was plugged in, it wasn't, now that I know it can feel like it's connected but it isn't I'll be more careful in the future. The possibility that the USB could completely miss the connection and slide off to the side never occurred to me, maybe something to make sure the connections line up. Hard to see into that little hole with old eyes. :)

shaggss
16.07.2013, 03:50
Hi Michael/Matthis

I need help!!

I have the same trouble connecting.

I am running Windows 7 (64bit) via Parallels on a Mac, both systems fully updated. I cannot connect to the Mitras.

The COM wasn't showing on the device manager so I manually installed it with the GHL driver. however it says:

"GHL Virtual Communications Port, Software installed but may not work correctly. This device cannot start"

Please follow these steps

1. Follow my guidance above about resetting windows bug for deleting the COM/LPT port and make sure COM/LPT now is displayed DONE
2. attached the Mitras to a USB port making sure the cable is firmly plugged in DONE
3. Open Mitras software DONE
4. Click on administration and then device manager DONE
5. Note what COM port the driver is using DONE
6 Double click the mitras shown in the connection tab and edit the COM port to match
7. close the dialogue box and click connect DONE

1. Uninstall the software DONE
2. Go to device manager and make sure that COM and LPT are now showing, if not please revert back to my original advise on fixing this DONE
3. Reload software DONE
4. Connect Mitras and follow last step by step advise. DONE

I have downloaded the 1.0.3.0 software, though I cannot remember the firmware the lights are running.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/shaggss/Capture1_zps4e5be1a3.png (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/shaggss/media/Capture1_zps4e5be1a3.png.html)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/shaggss/Capture3_zps4357eeac.png (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/shaggss/media/Capture3_zps4357eeac.png.html)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/shaggss/Capture_zps12ec070d.png (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/shaggss/media/Capture_zps12ec070d.png.html)

Please help!

DennisO
17.07.2013, 14:49
Have you tried to unplug mitras and plug it back in?

shaggss
17.07.2013, 22:21
Have you tried to unplug mitras and plug it back in?

Yes, several times. Thanks for your help!

DennisO
19.07.2013, 09:01
Try to unplug usb cable, then power cable from Mitras, plug power cable back in and wait until Mitras ist started and then plug in the usb cable. If the problem is not fixed, I would like to ask you to provide me screenshots from your driver details.
I installed the driver on my mac yesterday to test it and it works normally, but I'm using boot camp. It is possible that parallels software doesn't forward the signal from Mitras.

shaggss
19.07.2013, 09:39
Try to unplug usb cable, then power cable from Mitras, plug power cable back in and wait until Mitras ist started and then plug in the usb cable. If the problem is not fixed, I would like to ask you to provide me screenshots from your driver details.
I installed the driver on my mac yesterday to test it and it works normally, but I'm using boot camp. It is possible that parallels software doesn't forward the signal from Mitras.

I have tried this, but will try again. Yes it does seem to be a parallels problem and not a Mitras problem. I will post screen shots when I return home in a few days.

Thank you for your help.

shaggss
20.07.2013, 13:08
OK here are a few screen shots....

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/shaggss/Capture4_zpse8ae38c5.png (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/shaggss/media/Capture4_zpse8ae38c5.png.html)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/shaggss/Capture5_zpsa9b635ee.png (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/shaggss/media/Capture5_zpsa9b635ee.png.html)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/shaggss/Capture6_zps5223b13c.png (http://s867.photobucket.com/user/shaggss/media/Capture6_zps5223b13c.png.html)

Matthias
22.07.2013, 07:30
so we come to the point where our wisdom ends ...

all drivers seem to be instlled correctly, the settings (COM) are OK, and the hardware has also been reset

not much left now!

options:
- problem of Win 7 or driver running on a virtual machine (Parallels)
- USB-cable or port defective

-> can you try to connect on a native Win 7 machine?

shaggss
22.07.2013, 08:14
Thanks Matthias

Yes I have just finished installing everything on a native windows 7 machine. Absolutely no problems and both the profilux and Mitras connect. It definitely seems to be a VM/Parrallels issue.

FYI I could connect the profilux (using software 4.0-4.8) by using Parallels but just not the Mitras.

Matthias
22.07.2013, 14:23
this is very weird, but this tells us at least that the Mitras (or cable) is not damaged

we and some customers are using GCC on a Mac (with Parallels)

I fear I can't give you a quick solution - can your work with your native machine to solve this issue for now?

shaggss
22.07.2013, 14:26
Hi Matthias

Yes I have moved the computers around to use the native machine with the Mitras. FYI I was using a brand new Mac Mini with Parallels 8 if that helps at all?

cheers