PDA

View Full Version : Tank Recomendations

Armando Fernandes
16.11.2012, 12:24
Hello,

My future thank is 150cm (w) x 70cm (d) x 60cm (h), and hi want to know how many Mitras do i have to put in this system.

Best Regards,

Armando Fernandes

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 14:07
If you put the units lengthways down the tank then 2 units, but if you want to mount front to back then possibly 3, two would be tight but has been achieved. You could start with 2 and keep in mind for best spread you may require 3

benner
16.11.2012, 22:44
In my honest opinion, I think at this time it would be hard to say exactly because it is a new led and has not been tested enough to have accurate results yet..... As a hobbyist in the hobby it is more up to us to test this and figure out for ourselves.....sorry to say, but true.... I know that with most other LEDs on the market so far anyone growing sps only tanks reported that tanks must be completely covered in LEDs side by side in order to even come close to what t5 and MH can do.....and most eventually abandoned them and went back to t5 or MH because the colour and growth was not there with LEDs.....now if we are talking lps or fish only tank then the story is different and LEDs seems to perform okay....my ATI T5 fixture will still outperform any led on the market today (yes, including the mitras) when we are talking about par values.....I will not be switching to LEDs any time soon because of this....which is the lack of results seen from using led only on sps tanks....... However, I, like others, are hoping that the mitras are the led fixture that will defy and disprove everything that I have said above......only time will tell..... Keep the feedback coming!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 22:50
I suggest taking a good look at this thread

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2097957&page=5

Full on SPS, 3 mitras and fantastic reports in regards to colour of corals etc. the tank is 1400x750x550 (55 x 30 x 22")

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 22:55
Also look at the PAR readings atgainst the ATI fixture on post# 131

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2097957&page=6

benner
16.11.2012, 23:00
I have a very large and successful sps tank......I do not believe everything I read in forums and online anymore....too many companies in this hobby now looking to sell their products and get rich.....because of this I only believe and trust in what I have witnessed first hand and in person or from reliable sources.....what I said in the last post is my own experience and others with led vs t5 ...... I do find it very hard to understand how aqua digital can know how many mitras are needed on a tank when only the tank dimensions are given...... Just because you have lights nicely mounted over you tank and lights up the tank nicely to your preference does not mean that your tank specimens share the same feelings as you do.....like I said, time will tell......

benner
16.11.2012, 23:06
Also look at the PAR readings atgainst the ATI fixture on post# 131

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2097957&page=6

These are the exact posts I am talking about.....too many variables here....at what measurement from fixture are these readings taken? Is it even taken from under water? I will agree that most led fixtures as of late have been producing higher par readings from within the first 12" from fixture but as the light enters the water and goes deeper this is where the LEDs have fallen short of what the others can do.....

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 23:07
This tank is a private user in Australia, nothing to do with GHL. I think you will find Rodney is quite reliable and unbiased, have a look to the beginning of his tank build.

All lights are specified on tank dimensions whether T5 or LED and no matter what make, this is not new. The dimensions for LED are worked out on PAR readings by the manufacturer and in this case proven by an independant PAR test that provided an even higher coverage area.

Reefbuilders are in the process of doing an evaluation of all 3 main light units, we are led to the believe from the initial review that the results are going to be amazing.

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 23:11
These are the exact posts I am talking about.....too many variables here....at what measurement from fixture are these readings taken? Is it even taken from under water? I will agree that most led fixtures as of late have been producing higher par readings from within the first 12" from fixture but as the light enters the water and goes deeper this is where the LEDs have fallen short of what the others can do.....

I do suggest reading all his posts as he provides all this info in detail that you are asking

more here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2169525&page=2

benner
16.11.2012, 23:12
Well I am looking forward to a revolution in the led market for us sps guys.....

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 23:13
more here
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?6065-Spectrum-readings-Mitras-Radion-and-ATI

doggydoc10
16.11.2012, 23:26
I am also looking for Mitras to be THE LEDs that will grow and support SPS. BUT MICHAEL HOW CAN YOU STATE THAT THEY ARE DOING SO WHEN THE LIGHTS HAVE ONLY BEEN OUT FOR MAYBE 3 months?
Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy with my results so far, but I do agree with benner, ONLY time will tell and up until now ONLY T5 and MH have proven to be successful at growing SPS
NOW I HOPE Mitras is THE NEW STANDARD for SPS 3244

aqua_digital
16.11.2012, 23:29
There is nothing yet saying they are not doing well including your own tank and the initial reviews are all positive.

As your system that is under Mitras seems to be doing pretty well, as you say you are happy so far, maybe you would like to do a running review for everyone also.

Its is early days, but so far I dont think there has been one negative comment in regards to SPS keepers.

Its always nice to see users actively supporting the brand they have chosen. :)

benner
17.11.2012, 00:48
I have not seen any tanks in person with the mitras over them.....I have seen many with AI, vertex, radion, etc.....from what I have heard mitras appear to be much better than any of the previous so far....this is a good thing!