PDA

View Full Version : The GHL App for ProfiLux

Matthias
15.11.2012, 19:09
We will offer very soon our own app for ProfiLux.
Last tests and optimizations are in progress.

Features:
- view of all actual measured values, alarms, illumination channels and sockets
- activation of feed pause, water change, maintenance and thunderstorm
- manual override for sockets and illumination
- measurement charts
- user-configurable favorites menu

Supported smartphones:
- iPhone
- Android

Languages:
- German
- English

Here are some preliminary screenshots (in German, but I think you can see what I am talking about):

doggydoc10
15.11.2012, 19:11
Thank you

BigAl07
15.11.2012, 19:30
Matthias I've got to say that is some of the best news I've heard lately!

As Doc said.. .Thank you!

mdanielse
15.11.2012, 21:44
Ipad support.........?

BigAl07
15.11.2012, 22:44
Ipad support.........?

I'm pulling this from an online article

Do iPhone apps run / work on the iPad?

Yes, almost all iPhone applications work on the iPad. Notable exceptions would be apps that are specifically related to capabilities found on the iPhone that are not found on the iPad (such as text messaging and voice calling).

benner
15.11.2012, 23:27
I run lots of iPhone apps on my iPad.....simply because some are only available for iPhone and not iPad....does work for all I have used but the screen is smaller.....since the YouTube app was removed from the iOS in the latest version, there is no iPad YouTube app, so I have to use the iPhone one.....kind of stinks because the picture is the size of the iPhone still.....hopefully this will to be the case with the profilux app but I imagine it will be because all iPhone apps I have used on iPad either do to off the ability to enlarge and the ones that do, it is very distorted when enlarged.....
BUT I, LIKE OTHERS, ARE WAITING......:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Irishreefer
15.11.2012, 23:30
Just gets better and better, as above Thank you

hemoi
16.11.2012, 01:56
Any plans for us Microsoft people ;)
Windows 8 RT, and Windows Phone 8 ....please say yes :)

Armando Fernandes
16.11.2012, 12:36
Great News!!!

But, it will be good if you build the GHL Profilux Center for Apple to, not only to ipad/iphone/android/windows mobile.

Best Regards,
Armando Fernandes

Gunther
16.11.2012, 13:25
But, it will be good if you build the GHL Profilux Center for Apple to
This thread is about smartphone/tablet apps, not about PC programs.

BigAl07
16.11.2012, 15:47

I would imagine if enough people show an interest/need they would consider this endeavor but more people need to let GHL know this is a need or it may not appear to be so.

Armando Fernandes
16.11.2012, 16:57
This thread is about smartphone/tablet apps, not about PC programs.

It was just a sugestion, whats the big deal?
Dam...

benner
16.11.2012, 22:34
There are more and more apple/Mac users every year and there is obvious reason for it......I would have bought an apple brand MacBook but got a laptop instead so I could run the ghl software....I have owned the laptop for about 5 months now and have had numerous issues with it......whereas my iPad is the same and always has been the same since the day I bought it..... Sorry to go kind of off topic but I felt the need to defend apple for its superior reliability over pc.....and remind ghl that we are the customers and we do have a say on this forum and on the products we purchase from ghl.

doggydoc10
16.11.2012, 22:42
Well said

Antipodes
17.11.2012, 02:24
Yes, was wondering myself as I only ever hear i this and android that.
Currently running winmobile 6.5 and moving to mobile 8 and both surface 8 Pro and 8 RT.

smithpl
17.11.2012, 11:43
I use GHL PC Software on my Mac ( I haven't any PC computer at home :-( )
I bought a Parallers desktop ( you can buy Vmware fusion too ) and there I've installed Windows XP (only for GHL Profilux software ) :-)
It's stupid but it works :-)

It's a strange situation, many other companies that produce computers that Aquarium know the number of users of Apple computers is growing and the market is important (at least for the sale of products in the U.S.)
I hope you will soon notice that GHL

doggydoc10
17.11.2012, 12:34
Ditto that. I have been using my Mac to control and monitor my tank via Profilux with parallels since day ONE.
A bit more challenging at the beginning but not an issue now.
Can't wait for the app!!!!!

aqua_digital
17.11.2012, 15:33
Mac software question is a simple matter of cost re-imbursement.

To develop MAC software will cost many thousands of Euro's it is not a cheap adventure by any standard. So GHL have to see if such a costly development would

A) Pay itself back in sales - if not then there is no point
B) Take a lot of funding away from vital product development

As the mass market globally (remember this product is the only controller at this advanced level that is available around the world not just the USA) is predominantly PC still and that you can run windows program on a MAC it will be a hard argument to win that spending out so much cash on MAC software will pay itself back at least.

I personally have not come across a situation in pre sales talk that a client wont buy GHL because it does not have MAC software, the bigger area of concern was about having an APP instead. Even if we lost one sale in 10 it still would not pay itself back.

Most (Global) leading AQUARIUM brands of the same calibre as GHL do not yet have MAC, look at Ecotech for example, they have no MAC software.

benner
17.11.2012, 17:06
Mac software question is a simple matter of cost re-imbursement.

To develop MAC software will cost many thousands of Euro's it is not a cheap adventure by any standard. So GHL have to see if such a costly development would

A) Pay itself back in sales - if not then there is no point
B) Take a lot of funding away from vital product development

As the mass market globally (remember this product is the only controller at this advanced level that is available around the world not just the USA) is predominantly PC still and that you can run windows program on a MAC it will be a hard argument to win that spending out so much cash on MAC software will pay itself back at least.

I personally have not come across a situation in pre sales talk that a client wont buy GHL because it does not have MAC software, the bigger area of concern was about having an APP instead. Even if we lost one sale in 10 it still would not pay itself back.

Most (Global) leading AQUARIUM brands of the same calibre as GHL do not yet have MAC, look at Ecotech for example, they have no MAC software.

I would probably have to agree with you more here Michael.... The fact that profilux and pretty much all ghl products are not compatible with Mac has never been an issue for me really.....I purchased a new laptop on sale at futureshop to run profilux for only 299.....so I'm sure it will pay for itself....hey, for that price I can live in the flawed world of bill gates lol
However, I am sure that most of us will be thrilled to see a release of the profilux app.....I would LOVE to see one for my iPad (iPhone will also work).....but like I have said, this has never really been an issue for me.....I would have rather seen some other issues addressed but hey the customers have spoken and you must listen!
I also own a module for my tv that is called jynxbox android hd and it runs the latest ice cream sandwich android and acts as an open source media player much like a jailbroken Apple TV.....wondering if maybe the app will work on here as well....that would be amazing! I will admit that there is just so many uses for apps these days and continues to be more and more that it would (and is) worth GHL's time and money to invest in producing one.....

aqua_digital
17.11.2012, 17:14
Yep agreed ;) APP'S are the future.

doggydoc10
17.11.2012, 17:27
I am HAPPY to agree with you on that one Michael

EgaReef
17.11.2012, 18:49
Good news !!!!!

When the application is available?

whoami
19.11.2012, 09:16
Thank you.

Nory
19.11.2012, 11:59
When the application is available?

+1

Very good news....

Armando Fernandes
21.11.2012, 09:03
Any news?

reef
21.11.2012, 09:19
Maybe in a few weeks. Most likely also need time to test before release.

i tried the 3rd party app mentioned on this site and it was crap. Always had issues, so waiting as little longer to get GHL to complete their own will be worth it.

I hope it has a pause mode to turn off the level sensors when making manual water changers:)

Rotknee
23.11.2012, 21:49
I am about to buy a Macbook Pro which will be my first Apple laptop. I don't think it would be unreasonable for GHL to offer the App at a modest fee to recoup some of the expenses associated with producing the app. I am sure it would be cheaper than buying another PC or Parallels (and a new Windows OS license). We understand this is a business and I would argue most who purchase a GHL product put quality and reliability at the top of their lists.

Having said that, I would also like to see (and would be willing to pay for) an app to control the Mitras as well.

BigAl07
23.11.2012, 22:17
Very well said Rotknee :)

I'm so anxious for an AP to come out I wont even admit how many times a day I check the forums... just in case "AutoNotification" isn't working LOL

rreeves
24.11.2012, 04:12
I'm very excited for this as you can tell from how this was delivered!
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

EgaReef
26.11.2012, 09:03
What are the requirements? Just to ProfiLux 3?

BelloBlue
26.11.2012, 13:11
Requirements?

What additional equipment would be required?

JasonK
26.11.2012, 23:20
I would imagine all you would need is an Internet enabled Profilux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M007
27.11.2012, 02:43
Woohoo!!!!!

chercm
27.11.2012, 14:24
when was it be launched ?

Geoffroy Docq
28.11.2012, 17:25
Dears,
I thank u GHL to propose us a smartphone app controller.

I am also a mac user and i faced also the problem to run the software only available on windows.
I ran for several weeks a dedicated laptop for this until i virtualized my windows on my mac using Parallels desktop (http://www.parallels.com) . it works like a charm and i can run the pc software on my mac.
Windows is just faster than before ;-)
Developing software on various platforms can be really costly and ineffective in enhancement of the product.
Please don't blame GHL for this, i prefer a profilux 5.14 version that a version 3.5 running on my mac ...
good luck to all ...

Hope to see the app soon on itunes ;-)

Matthias
29.11.2012, 08:41
Thread closed, discussion last night was far off topic and far too personal

other than that, I need some testers for the Android app

please send me a PM when interested in testing