PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to get a certain color temperature

Matthias
05.11.2012, 16:48
by changing the brightness of each channel individually you can achive almost every light temperature

if this is too much work for you can then do this:

1. set all channels to 50% (one click with the master 50% button)

2. vary the color temperature with the color temperature slider (slider with red and blue boxes)

3. if you want the max. level for this color temperature then click the button "Max. level for this light color" (min. GHL Control Center 1.0.2.3 required)

of this is less flexible than changing the brightness individually but maybe easier

GazzMan
06.11.2012, 11:31
Im a bit confused on your point 1 Mathias,

I have the master set to 50% (pic 1), when I laid out the timings, I made all of them 50%, however in pic 2, its shownig 50% at the bottom, but 100% at the top

im confused

Gazz

Matthias
06.11.2012, 18:25
the charts maximum (100%) refers to 100% brightness AND all channels on 100% (this is a multiplication)

this means: when at least one channel is below 100% the chart will never reach 100% even if the brightness is 100%

if the graph would only show the "brightness" values it would not be right because the single channels would not be considered

clear now?

GazzMan
06.11.2012, 18:49
But I have set all channels to 50%, and they are not showing 50%, why is this so confusing, are you going to write a better instruction for people to get the most out of this without having to wait for a reply on here.

All I want to do is have a lighting program at 12k, running at 50% until my corals adapt

Matthias
07.11.2012, 07:58
maybe I don't understand the question

an example may make it easier to understand:

for a certain dimming point (e.g. 12:00) we have:
- LED1 has 50% (vertical slider)
- the master brightness for all (horizontal slider) is 80%

this produces a brightness of 80% * 50% = 40% for the illumination run of this LED1

this 40% can be seen on the display at 12:00 for LED1 and on the chart for illumination run LED1

There is another setting in the energy options "max. output power".
With this setting all dimming points can be dimmed at once. This means for the above example:
e.g. max. output power = 70%
-> then the output brightness for LED1 at 12:00 is 80% * 50% * 70% = 28%

UK-GHL
07.11.2012, 11:04
Hi Gary,

Let me try and explain, if you are still in doubt after this please feel free to call me and I will talk you through it.

Each LED Colour channel has a slider in the light composer, this allows you to select the percentage brightness for this individual colour channel. With all these sliders at the top the output will be 100% for each channel and 0% when at the bottom. This is shown in the graph.

It is the position of these channel sliders relative to each other that derives the colour temperature in Kelvin. It is worth noting at this point that the same colour temperature can be achieved by using different mixes of LEDs there is not one setting that gives you 12,000K. In the graph at the bottom the total output of all channel sliders is shown, only if all channel sliders are at 100% will this reach the top of the graph.

There needs to be a way of changing this brightness for all channels at a given time without affecting the relative positions of the channel sliders and therefore the colour temperature. To take your example you have decided that you like a 12,000k colour temperature and set the sliders for each channel accordingly to give you the output colour you desire. To reach the colour temperature you have selected you have turned down some channel sliders and therefore in the graph it shows below 100% as the graph is the sum total of all the channels at that time of day. If you want to have this colour temperature dim up and down through the day, you do not want to have to change each colour slider at the different times of day, so they have incorporated a brightness slider. This increases or decreases the brightness without changing the channel sliders position, thus maintaining the colour temperature.

This brightness is shown in the illumination run grid against each time of day preset you have created, in your screenshot they are all set to 100%.

Further to this, it may be necessary that you want to dim the output of all LEDs by the same percentage regardless of the time of day, for example if you wanted to acclimatise new stock or to conserve energy. Rather than having to go and change the brightness percentage of each time of day setting in the illumination run, you can go to the Energy options tab and enter a percentage reduction, this will reduce all channels and all brightness settings by that percentage, this isn't reflected in the graph as it is light unit specific and must be set individually on master and slave units.

To take this one step further when you were playing with the sliders to create your 12,000k colour temperature, you will have probably reduced all sliders from 100% level especially if starting from an existing project, so you won't be getting the highest output for that colour temperature. Matthias has introduced a simple button now "maximum level for this colour" which will maintain the colour temperature but increase the slider levels to give you the highest output whilst maintaining the colour temperature and the slider positions relative to each other.

Steve

Matthias
07.11.2012, 16:11
thanks Steve - a perfect explanation!

GazzMan
07.11.2012, 22:48
Where do/did you get this information Steve, iv read every post ever posted on the mitras lol, I think a teach in night has to be arranged for the old infirm people like ME lol.

Thanks Mathias, I understand your second explanation a little better

Gazz

GazzMan
21.11.2012, 18:11
There is another setting in the energy options "max. output power".
With this setting all dimming points can be dimmed at once. This means for the above example:
e.g. max. output power = 70%
-> then the output brightness for LED1 at 12:00 is 80% * 50% * 70% = 28%

Having a play last night and, if I change the output on the slider in energy options, it only dims the lamp I have the USB lead in.

I have 3 lamps of which the middle lamp is the master, left is 1, right is 2

Gazz

Matthias
28.11.2012, 16:03
Hi

the energy settings are local settings - this means they effect only this lamp