PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum readings - Mitras, Radion and ATI

rodneyri
26.10.2012, 23:37
Just a quick overview of some testing I did last night, these were on a fixed jig for the readings.

ATI - Powermodule 8x54w (3b, 3KZ NG, 1FP, 1 A+)
Mitras - all LED 100%
Radion - all LED 100%

Mitras against ATI (ATI is the thin line)
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo21/rodney_ri/MITRASvsATI.jpg

Mitras against the Radion (Radion is the thin line)
http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo21/rodney_ri/MITRASvsRADEON.jpg

gnisten
27.10.2012, 13:01
???? What are youre comments on these test results..

mshur
27.10.2012, 17:58
Interesting, radion have spike on 46-470 nm... i think you cant compare LEDs with T5s...different fruits:)

BigAl07
28.10.2012, 02:59
Interesting, radion have spike on 46-470 nm... i think you cant compare LEDs with T5s...different fruits:)

True different technology but the test equipment doesn't know if it's a T5 or LED and photons are photons. The graph shows abundantly clear that the GHL Mitras can indeed perform at levels "at or above" other proven light generators.

doggydoc10
28.10.2012, 03:19
Well said BigAl

rodneyri
28.10.2012, 08:52
I think from the test results the Mitras almost nails the mix on the head, im just curious to see how corals respond without the peak in the 405nm range. Maybe the next gen should take a red out and replace with a 405nm LED :)

aqua_digital
28.10.2012, 13:59
I think from the test results the Mitras almost nails the mix on the head, im just curious to see how corals respond without the peak in the 405nm range. Maybe the next gen should take a red out and replace with a 405nm LED :)

This is actually quite a hot topic. In Europe especially reef keepers opt for less blue look to their tanks going for a more natural look where as based on many conversations at Macna whilst demonstrating the Mitras, our North American clients want as much blue as possible. I think a lot of this might have come from the surge in keeping Acans and other illuminescent LPS corals

I am from the UK originally and have always kept my system as close to 14K as possible. When I left the UK ther was starting to be a lean towards 17K but most my freinds back home still run 12-14K

I think we are miles away from talking about Gen 2 Mitras but maybe in the future there could be a call for "adding" 405nm but then you would have 10 channels and not an easy upgrade at a novice guess. Maybe an option could be an available different cluster set.

Natural
or
Blue

mshur
28.10.2012, 15:10

Indeed. I am very curious as well how SPS react , specially blue once.
Rrrr, cant wait to start my new system up.

Rodney, how would you compare Mitras vs Illumina?

Thanks so much for all your testing and helpfull data

rodneyri
28.10.2012, 23:22
I too run my lighting at ~14k look, not a fan of too much blue. the addition of 405nm wouldnt increase the blue color but more for hitting the lower actinic peak. A different cluster set would be a really good option, even having the 405 and 425 linked to a single channel would suit.

mshur - its really hard to compare the illumina to the Mitras with them being several generations apart in technology. Im running three Mitras on my tank which is 216 LEDs, the illumina was 128 LEDs. Color rendering from the Mitras and PAR out performs the Illumina by far - my corals show colors the illumina blue/white mix didnt. The clustering in the Mitras doesnt disco ball either, the illumina had slight color separation - very minimal but was some. I do like the single pendant of the illumina over the 'pod' type Mitras aesthetically...much less wiring and hanging frame mess.