PDA

View Full Version : ATO Malfunction

Tone
29.06.2012, 10:22
I recently had a malfunction of the feed pause that required a firmware upgrade to 5.13 which fixed that problem but created a new problem ... my ATO now turns on and won't go off.

Controller is P3eX and I use an optical sensor connected at Level 1. The sensor is clean. All of the settings are in accordance with the relevant "How-to" video.

Apart from disconnecting the ATO pump from the relevant socket, it does not respond. I have noticed that there are no indicators in the Current State for Level 1 which is where the sensor is connected.

Please will you advise me on the corrective procedure.

PS. I have tried to reboot as a corrective action and that has not worked.

Thanks, T

Gunther
29.06.2012, 10:30
Please will you advise me on the corrective procedure.

As you may have seen, the niveau menu is reworked completely with 5.13.
You should check the level settings there, especially the assignment of the level sensors (in pop up behind the button)
I found that all sensors starting from #2 are assigned to level sensor #11 - check and correct that (sorry no screen shoot possible at the moment)

Tone
29.06.2012, 11:22
Thank you for your response Gunther but I'm not sure that I understand you ... Level 1 is set with "Always Active" check box on. If I uncheck the box it indicates "Is active through Timer #1" . Timer #1 on my setup runs current pumps ... I have no other Timers set.
I have noticed that after a while, the power to the socket (S8 is set) is cut and the alarm comes on; if I disable the alarm then the socket #8 is reactivated and the ATO pumps again irrespective of the fact that the water level is high over the sensor.
Please note that there is no indication of activity in the "Current State" window at any time.

Gunther
29.06.2012, 12:17
Please note that there is no indication of activity in the "Current State" window at any time.

This is the prob I think. Your level sensor isn´t recognized anymore (no idea why) - please try another level socket

Gunther
29.06.2012, 16:58
As you can see there is a selection for the sensor number - please select your sensor there

Remark: Taken from 5.1.3.0 with Firmware 5.14beta

Tone
30.06.2012, 05:08
Thank you Gunther ... I am using firmware 5.13, it doesn't have a screen like the one that you show, only what I have indicated above.

The sensor worked with FW5.12, now with FW5.13 it doesn't work ... this is a problem for GHL to rectify. The sensor is less than 12 months old.

I do not want to use FW5.14beta as I am not sure of its stability.

I look forward to GHL urgent attention to this problem, please ... I don't want to have to do manual recharging of ATO.

Tone
30.06.2012, 05:20
I am preparing to upgrade the PCL to version 5.1.3.0 from 5.1.2.2 ... when attempting to back up the P3eX settings to a file, I get the following message:

Why is this, please? How is it fixed, please ?

Gunther
30.06.2012, 14:03
I am using firmware 5.13

... and an older Version of PLC which is not a good idea. Update PLC first, then the firmware.

Why is this, please?

No idea, maybe you have deletet the file or it´s a security issue. You can try to start the Setup as admin

Tone
01.07.2012, 00:17
Hullo Gunther,

Thank you for your attempts in helping to resolve the problems with the P3eX.

... and an older Version of PLC which is not a good idea. Update PLC first, then the firmware.

Is there an explicit directive from GHL in respect of the compatibility of the firmware with particular versions of the PLC ? ... it seems that there is none. If the 'mismatch' that I find is "not a good idea" then please direct me to the clear instructions from GHL that require the PLC to be upgraded to work with FW5.13 ... You will be aware that there have been many firmware upgrades in the past that do not require PLC upgrade and that this has been made clear.

No idea, maybe you have deletet the file or it´s a security issue. You can try to start the Setup as admin

I've not deleted any files and I don't understand how copying (backing up) a file can create a security issue ... for that matter my McAffee Security Centre does not impact the operation. I don't understand what you mean by "try to start the Setup as admin" ... are you referring to my Windows7 user account in which I am set up as an administrator anyway ?

Let's get back to the problem, the optical sensor is not recognised by the P3eX FW5.13 what is GHL's solution to the problem ? ... my system uses 220L / week in top up water and I can assure you that it is a great problem for me to do it manually ... that is why I have ATO and GHL controller for world's best quality and support ;)

Tone
01.07.2012, 06:28
This is getting ridiculous ! I've now updated the PLC to 5.13 ... so running latest FW and PLC versions.

The ATO malfunction is still there ... please do not forget that the optical sensor worked perfectly before upgrading firmware from 5.12 to 5.13.

In PLC 5.13 the sensor is changed to 6 and this is how it looks in PLC 5.13 ... FAILED AGAIN. What is wrong ???

Gunther
01.07.2012, 10:16
On your screenshoot you have cut the the most important thing: What number is selected below "Used sensor for this control" on bottom?

Tone
02.07.2012, 01:11
Read my post above, I tell you that it is "6". BTW, I didn't cut it off, your software did.

In PLC 5.13 the sensor is changed to 6 and this is how it looks in PLC 5.13

Gunther
02.07.2012, 02:47
Read my post above, I tell you that it is "6".
I had overseen that. Sorry.
Change it to "1" if your float is connectet to the first level sensor,
"6" is not present in a system without Expansion box or -card

BTW, I didn't cut it off, your software did.
Surely not.

Tone
02.07.2012, 03:00
Thank you, Gunther. :)

I checked the jpg in my picture folder and it is full size there. These things happen. It doesn't matter.

I have previously changed the optical sensor to #1 and it hasn't worked.

What I will do now is to reflash the firmware and reload the PLC, then I will change the sensor to #1 and see what happens ... maybe with the changing of things 'out of sequence' the P3eX has got confused.

Tone
02.07.2012, 03:52
OK completed reloading tasks and reset the sensor to #1 ... and so far so good, the sensor has not triggered an alarm.

I'll keep a tab on it and confirm tomorrow if the operation is fixed.

Matthias
02.07.2012, 18:59
Is there an explicit directive from GHL in respect of the compatibility of the firmware with particular versions of the PLC ? ... it seems that there is none. If the 'mismatch' that I find is "not a good idea" then please direct me to the clear instructions from GHL that require the PLC to be upgraded to work with FW5.13 ... You will be aware that there have been many firmware upgrades in the past that do not require PLC upgrade and that this has been made clear.

the startup-screen of ProfiLuxControl gives the information:
"This version supports .... ProfiLux 2 and 3 ... with these versions: x.xx to x.xx"

I think this is clear enough, isn't it?

Coming back to your problem

please do not forget that the optical sensor worked perfectly before upgrading firmware from 5.12 to 5.13.
this can be a coincidence - is strange but happens

First we have to check if the sensor is working at all, therefore go the level dialog and check the states of the level sensor inputs:
The state (direct) shows what the level sensor recognizes (yellow marker)
Make a test, put the sensor into the water, remove it and check what happens with that state. Let us go from there.

Tone
02.07.2012, 22:56
Please understand my frustration that I don't want to find 220L of RO/DI from the reservoir dumped into my long-lived 2,000L sps display.

the startup-screen of ProfiLuxControl gives the information:
"This version supports .... ProfiLux 2 and 3 ... with these versions: x.xx to x.xx"

I think this is clear enough, isn't it?

I disagree, that is reverse logic ... 'putting the cart in front of the horse.'

The note regarding PLC versions should appear as an appendix to the firmware version that is to be downloaded. "This version of Firmware x.xx requires upgrade of the PLC to version y.yy" In this case the customer is adequately forewarned that the version of firmware that they are downloading will require a corresponding upgrade of the PLC version for proper operation. It might be a little inconvenient to GHL but believe me that it will be of immense benefit to your customers.

Another thing, you have a perceived expectation that all of your customers have the 'programmers understanding' of the intricacies of the firmware and software. This is not the case so it would be immensely helpful if a 'readme' note is attached that draws the customer's attention to the changes and what further adjustments need to be made to ensure the ongoing operation of the holistic system -- I don't wan't to find my display compromised due to incomplete instructions regarding upgrades. The current upgrade history file is fine for the programmer but of little use to the customer as it is significantly incomplete in explaining the changes and ramifications.

Communication is of utmost importance.

Getting back to the problem, the action that you describe is the course of action that I have been following ... however, having wasted much time and energy with not knowing that the PLC also required to be upgraded ... which is now done. In addition, as explained in my previous post, I have reflashed the FW and reloaded the PLC to ensure that there is no residual conflict from the previous attempt at getting the combination to work adequately.

Gunther has also kindly advised me that the sensor should be reset to #1 ... it defaults in the upgrade to #6, why does it do that and not default to #1 which would be logical ? I might add that prior to reloading the FW and PLC, I did do this and the operation at #1 also failed and produced an 'alarm' state.

Since reloading the FW and PLC the operation appears to have corrected and I am now closely monitoring it -- so far so good.

Thank you for your attendance, Matthias.