PDA

View Full Version : can the profilux 3 control a dimmable ballast for metal halides?

kassysimon
20.05.2012, 08:40
hello.

I have 6 x 150w metal halide fittings that i would like to use over a planted tank and i would like to have my P3 control them.

The fittings currently have their standard ballasts that i will replace with a dimmable ballast.

Is the P3 capable of controlling metal halide dimmable ballasts?

Thank you.

Blahenazo
20.05.2012, 21:02
it depends wat the dim inputs to these ballasts are:

profilux can handle , 0-10 v , PWM , DALI , etc...

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 00:26
it depends wat the dim inputs to these ballasts are:

profilux can handle , 0-10 v , PWM , DALI , etc...

Thank you....... But Etc?

Can you be more specific please?

Thank you

Wirus
21.05.2012, 06:24
Can you be more specific please?

What mean is: It´s nearly no prob to connect and control a dimable ballast by the Profilux once you have one.

Your main problem is to find a capable ballast that can handle your metal halides - you should fix that prob first

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 06:54
What mean is: It´s nearly no prob to connect and control a dimable ballast by the Profilux once you have one.

Your main problem is to find a capable ballast that can handle your metal halides - you should fix that prob first

Thanks.

Do you know if I can use a single 1000w ballast?

150w X 6 lights = 900w.

Is this right?

Thanks

Wirus
21.05.2012, 09:54
Is this right?

No idea. You have to ask the lamp manufacturer if it´s possible to dim the lamps you have in general.
Dimming of metal halide lamps is not that easy. Most of them (especially older ones) are not dimable. I don´t think it´s possible to dim more than one lamp with a single ballast, but this is only an assumption.

Asking the manufacturer is a must! We can´t help you for that. If you have a working ballast, we can go further to connect it to the Profilux.

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 12:54
OK. thanks

i will ask the manufacturer and come back soon.

Thank you.

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 13:22
OK.

I have found what i require and am placing one on order.

Here is the link. https://rasahydroponics.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=1000w%20dimmable%20ballast

What do i need to do now?

Thank you Wirus

Wirus
21.05.2012, 14:01
What do i need to do now?

The shown ballasts are not controllable by any external device. Sure, you can select one of three power stages with an internal switch, but it´s not possible to be controlled by an external signal. This three stage thing is nothing I wold call "dimable".

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 14:03
OH!.....

back to the drawing board.

Im still researching.

I didnt know what to ask for with regards to dimming so i couldnt tell the manufacturer exactly what i needed but now i know.

I have a few more places to search.

Ill be back!

Wirus
21.05.2012, 14:11
I didnt know what to ask for with regards to dimming

Search for
connector for external control 0-100% (maybe not possible for your lamps, so 50-100% is an alternative)
controllable via 1-10V signal (or any other voltage signal equivalent to the light output)
controllable via DALI

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 14:14
i think i just found one.....http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/lights-metal-halide/metal-hallide-ballast-electronic/150w-solarmax-electronic-dimmable-ballast/prod_859.html

the reply from the supplier was this....

i said....
Hello.

Do you know if the dimmer for these ballasts are externally controllable? I would like to use them with a Profilux computer.

Thank you.

Simon.

they said....

"Yes, it is the same ballast ATI comes with and you control them with any 0-10v potentiometer.

so i think i have found it....

just confirming now....

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 14:24
This is the it...!

"The ballast does not come with the dimmer, you need a 0-10V dimmer or the profilux will also dim 0-10v"

So it seems i have found it.....

How do i get the Profilux to control them?

I was thinking of a seperate DPAB to control just the lights and programming the DPAB from there.

Is that right?

Thank you.

Wirus
21.05.2012, 15:08
In general the Profilux has 1-10V outputs - you need a LBF-AP from GHL to connect it.

But ... it looks dimable, but there is a knob, no connectors for the 1-10V signaling. I would recommend to ask the guys for a wiring sheet before you order. If they haven´t one - forget it!

kassysimon
21.05.2012, 23:29
He just got back to me and apologised......he was thinking of the wrong ballast.

This one isnt dimmable either....DOH!

back to square one....

Wirus
22.05.2012, 07:14
back to square one....

Maybe the Philips ZTMH-150C-LF is a device you can use, see http://www.advance.philips.com/documents/uploads/literature/EH-5150-R01%2012%2009.pdf