PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Lighting Change for sunrise and sunset

mzbwlk
08.05.2012, 02:05
Matthias,

I am just wondering if there is ever going to be a Seasonal Lighting function by longitude & latitude for the sunrise and sunset settings. I know you guys are real busy with Interzoo 2012 and the new LED's coming out but, I recall asking about this October 10, 2010. I was told that it was in the firmware but was not activated yet. I thought you said that it was going to be activated in firmware 5.04. I feel it is a beneficial function that should not be overlooked. Here are 2 short articles I found that feel the same way. I do have the working formulas for sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset in Excel if you need it.
If for some reason this not going to be implemented in the firmware that is fine too. I’ll just have to find another controller that will satisfy my lighting control requirements and use this one for the keeping track of the functions.

CORAL RHYTHMS AND CAPTIVE SPAWNING
http://breedersregistry.org/Articles/v1_n3_tyree/tyree.htm
The Paradox Of A Consistent Need For Variation
http://www.reefland.com/articles/rho/the-paradox-of-a-consistent-need-for-variation

Thanks again,
Dave.

Matthias
08.05.2012, 07:17
this will definetely come!

yes, most of the research and work had already been done, the last 15% is what is missing still

Matthias
08.05.2012, 07:18
and thanks for the links, these are interesting informations

mzbwlk
08.05.2012, 11:43
I have read quite a few articles on this subject and their findings are all quite interesting.
Maybe I could help with the last 15% of the puzzle to get this implemented into the firmware. I’m guessing the problem is either in the formula being used or tying it back into the rest of the programming. I do have programming skills and would like to help out in any way I can. It would be a FREE service to you. I would like to take a look at what you have done already and see what I could do to help get it finished.

Matthias
08.05.2012, 12:08
thanks for your offer

it is just a time problem, especially during the preparation of Interzoo

I will come back to this as soon as possible

mzbwlk
08.05.2012, 13:09
Yes that’s right Interzoo is coming. I hope everything goes as planned there. I can’t wait till the release of the new LED lights. I’ll need 3-4 of them for now. Will we need 8 open “L” ports for each LED module or a total of 8 ports for our whole lighting string?

Blahenazo
09.05.2012, 05:38
Yes that’s right Interzoo is coming. I hope everything goes as planned there. I can’t wait till the release of the new LED lights. I’ll need 3-4 of them for now. Will we need 8 open “L” ports for each LED module or a total of 8 ports for our whole lighting string?

no info here on the lamp :
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?5444-GHL-anounces-a-brand-new-LED-lamp!

and further down the tread post 25 , Matthias is talking about the connectivity. (wireless via pab it seems )

Matthias
10.05.2012, 07:42

no, they are not controlled over 1-10V, they are controlled over PAB, details are coming

samyueru
19.02.2014, 01:31
Pestering you guys with questions tonight! Any updates on this? I think it has lots of potential!!

mzbwlk
20.04.2015, 20:50
Nope not at all. I give up asking for something that every other controller has.

Gael
15.02.2016, 22:46
we did exactly this for the next firmware and GHL Control Center:
the "dynamic nominal value" can now also work with tables. You set temperatures at certain dates and ProfiLux will calculate all the temp. between these dates. The "night change" will also be considered.
It is in BETA-Testing, the GEOMAR institute is already using it for scientific experiments. Besides temperature all other probes can work with seasonal values.
I think we launch the 6.17 in a week, details are to come soon.

To the seasonal light
This is the next step. There is only a small problem and I am not sure how to solve it in the best way, so comments and thoughts are very welcome.
We have 32 dimming channels, each of these channels can have up to 12 points per day.
I think it is nearly impossible to program for all channels for all points for many days different times and/or intensities.
We need a more clever and easy way to achieve a seasonal lighting for many different dimming channels.

Has anyone good ideas?

How about this

If seasonal lightning is activated, channel dimming points are always related to spring/autumn equinox
Related to the latitude a sunset/sundown time is calculated for the equinox date and shown in the diagram (maybe adaptable)
The dimming curve is related to actual date compressed or stretched as neccessary between sunset and sundown and also between sundown and sunset. (summer: day is stretched/night is compressed; winter: Day is compressed, night is stretched)
Maybe a shift parameter (moving sunset/high noon/sundown/ midnight) a certain number of hours fore or back would be helpful
Also cool would be a "general year light courve" designed similar to the daily curves where you can set a multiplier for the max power output (Winter 50% / Summer 100%, interpolated in between)

In fact, what is most annoying is the summer, when it's still light out at 22h and the aquarium is in the dark since 20 hours.
The solution would be gradually shift the illumination points about the sunset until two hours later in the summer.