PDA

View Full Version : Dosing Pumps and water change

myprofilux
07.05.2012, 09:30
Good day all,

I am going to be creating a daily water change system for my marine tank. I have been doing some reading on the dosing pumps and also on this forum about the maximum amount of running time of the pump.

My logic:

I need to do 10l water change a day, to do that I calculated the dosing pumps need to run for (in total) 5hrs a day.

I will have one pump dedicated to REMOVING the water and one pump dedicated to ADDING water back to the system.

Things I need to ask and worry about:

1. I think I need to do 10l once off, I don't think I can do 10l over the period of the day as I might be removing water that just added.

OR

Turn off the Auto Top Up (also controlled by Profilux) for the 5 hours that this runs, and just remove water, then "top up" with salt water.

2. Has anyone done this if so I would appreciate a link to the post or the advise.

I know the max run time is 15mins how would I do 10l if I can only do removal of water for 15mins at a time allowing the pump to rest for 15mins....

Thank you

Gunther
07.05.2012, 09:39
In general that´s not a good idea - dosing pumps are - as the name suggests - for dosing purposes.
Using dosing units for daily change of 10l water will reduce lifetime of the units - it´s not made for.

The use of small centrifugal pump(s) is much faster, more durable at least more cheaper.
As a reference you can use the Tunze metering pump (http://www.tunze.com/details.html?&L=1&C=US&type=&user_tunzeprod_pi1%5Bprodid%5D=5000.020)

myprofilux
07.05.2012, 09:43
Thank you for the reply, any info on the centrifugal pumps? Are they profilux controllable ? Thank you once again

Gunther
07.05.2012, 09:47
Thank you for the reply, any info on the centrifugal pumps?

In the moment I added that in my post

Are they profilux controllable ?

You need a socket per pump and of course the level sensors