PDA

View Full Version : setting up ATO using contactless level sensor

Subman
02.07.2009, 00:01
I am having a few problems setting this up.
first problem is with the install the instructions aren't very clear I have it with the sticker side stuck to the sump with the water line in the middle of the unit. I have tried to adjust the pot to light up below the water line and off when above but I can't seem to get it set right.

The second problem is programing the Profilux II plus to turn on/off a powerbar outlet depending on the state of the level sensor.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jason

Matthias
02.07.2009, 07:53
the contactless level sensor is designed to deal with a glass thickness up to 20mm

for this reason the sensitivity is adjustable (with the potentiometer on the rear)

just as mentioned in the manual: move the sensor up and down near the water level, if the sensor react too late or too early than adjust the pot. position
do this until the sensor triggers at the level you want

powerbar: set the function of the socket you want to use to "water 1" (or 2, 3...)
and use the correct operational mode for the sensor (e.g. ATO)
-> all this is explained in the ProfiLux manual

Subman
02.07.2009, 16:23
the contactless level sensor is designed to deal with a glass thickness up to 20mm

for this reason the sensitivity is adjustable (with the potentiometer on the rear)

just as mentioned in the manual: move the sensor up and down near the water level, if the sensor react too late or too early than adjust the pot. position
do this until the sensor triggers at the level you want

powerbar: set the function of the socket you want to use to "water 1" (or 2, 3...)
and use the correct operational mode for the sensor (e.g. ATO)
-> all this is explained in the ProfiLux manual

I have done this but the sensor is always on or always off, like it doesn't sense the water.

The explanation in the manual is not very good and that is why I asked the question here.

Matthias
02.07.2009, 16:42
maybe you turn the potentiomer only a few degree - only a tiny rotation

if it is always on or always off this means that it senses something, you just have to find the position in the middle

one other thought: it will also sense if the glas is wet or dirty on the other side, so water splashes or dirt or algees or salt may be a problem, the glas must be clean on the other side

Subman
10.07.2009, 16:41
well I got the sensor to work about a week ago and now I have a new problem:(

I'm currently 3,000 miles from home and I just got a call from my tank sitter and he told me he put ro water in my holding tank and as soon as he did the pump came on and filled the sump about 4"over the fill line. I asked if the light on the sensor was on or off and he said it was flickering. I had my tank sitter check and clean the inside of the sump behind the sensor and he said it was clean and then wiped it anyway but it made no difference. I checked the graphs on reef status and it looks as though starting about midnight last night the level sensor has been turning off and on continuously. I walked him through adjusting the sensor until at least the red light stays on. I am wondering what to do about the settings and maybe a safer way to set this up. What should the settings be in the profilux?

I have it set like this right now:
under level sensor
Sensor 1 = ATO and reaction time set to 5 sec. and Max on tine is set for 3 min.
I was thinking of changing the reaction time to 10 sec and the max on time to 30 sec. I was also thinking of linking the ATO to a timer as well. What do you think?

This had worked for over a week now but then last night it went all haywire. Is this a common problem with these sensors?

Subman
11.07.2009, 06:31
update: I had my tank sitter adjust it so at least the red light would stay on and 8 hrs' later flikering again! I am getting very ********** with it and I can't seem to find anyone else actually using it. I feel it was perhaps released to soon and not quite ready yet. :mad:

Matthias
11.07.2009, 09:27
This sensor has been used for years now in many other applications, this is no new development, we just use a given product for this purpose.
So we can't talk about a too early release.

The flickering is normal if the sensor is exactly at the threshold ( = water level where you want to switch).
ProfiLux filters this flickering (there is a setting "sensor reaction time"), so this flickering doesn't matter
If another sensor like floater or optical version is exactly at the threshold then this sensor will also "flicker" (you just can see it because there is no optical indicator).

Your description is OK and shows normal behaviour: First the sensor-LED lit permanently, after 8h the water level sunk a little bit and now we are at the threshold, the LED starts to flicker.
Put some water in and the LED will be on constantly again.

I think we sold in the last weeks about 100 of these sensors and we had no negative feedback until now.
Maybe you try again to adjust the sensor correctly. If you can't get a sufficient result than please contact your retailer.

Subman
11.07.2009, 16:35
thanks for the response Matthias. I am sorry if my last post was negative just a frustrating day. Your explination make sense and I will keep my eye on it. Being 3000 miles away doesn't help the worry factor :(.
What settings do you recommend?

Matthias
13.07.2009, 07:16
I think there are no special settings for this sensor type.

The standard sensor reaction time of 10s is OK. In any case you should set a reasonable time limit - long enough to get the ATO working, short enough to prevent damages if something fails.