PDA

View Full Version : New: leakage-sensor !

Matthias
09.12.2011, 17:21
Here it is - the leakage-sensor for ProfiLux !

more details:

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System__E_/Products/Probes_and_accessories/probes_and_accessories.html

Blahenazo
09.12.2011, 20:33
nice piece of kit.

BUT I'm not gonna buy it. IMHO a FAIL on the floater connectors :(((((
I need my floater ports for my floaters.

almost
09.12.2011, 21:44
Thats very interesting.

You put it on the floor just under the aquarium, and if 2 of the 80 contacts come in contact with water, then this is translated as a leakage?
So in this case, an email can be send or a swith can be turned on/off. Correct?

Will it work with a salt water?

richard.mayo
10.12.2011, 07:57
It will only work with salt water as it has to be conductive.

I like it, i think its a great idea

Well done GHL

Wirus
10.12.2011, 11:31
It will only work with salt water as it has to be conductive.

Nonsense. It will work with fresh- and salt water. Only exception is osmosis water

richard.mayo
10.12.2011, 21:34
Nonsense. It will work with fresh- and salt water. Only exception is osmosis water

Sorry i guess i misunderstood

BigAl07
12.12.2011, 16:23
Pardon my ignorance but I'm not following the difference between "Fresh" water and "Osmosis" water here.

Wirus
12.12.2011, 16:43
but I'm not following the difference between "Fresh" water and "Osmosis" water here.

Fresh water is what you get from the pipe - Conductance is between 50 and 1000 µS/cm (soft to hard water)
Osmosis water is what you get from a reverse osmosis filter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis) - Conductance is lower that 10 µS/cm down to 0.0...1 µS/cm

The leakage sensor measures the conductance of air (if it´s dry) or the water (if there is a leakage). The conductance is the reciprocal of the resistance per cm.

If the water is too clean, it has very low conductance which means it has very hight resistance which also means it is an insulator like air. That´s the reason why a conductive probe can not recognize osmosis water.

BigAl07
12.12.2011, 16:47
Ahh ok I see now. All of my "Fresh Water" comes through the RO/DI so it wouldn't detect a leak in my ATO reservoir but would it the tank were leaking.

Much more clear understanding now.

aqua_digital
15.12.2011, 20:54
we now need PLM-Level expansion PCB to be released :)

I see www.reefbuilders.com has posted this, please all go and give the product the thumbs up ;)