PDA

View Full Version : Help with update

Monihdez
01.12.2011, 16:19
Hi

This is the first time that I am going to update my PIII so before I go ahead I just wanted to check a few things. I am sorry if the answers have been posted before but I have not been able to find them.

I want to update from Firmware 5.10 to 5.11. Do I need to download and install the latest version of PLC first? or do I update PLC after the Firmware update?

Am I right in thinking that after connecting profilux to my laptop using USB I just open PLC, connect to profilux and click on the firmware update in the drop down menu?

Does the Firmware download need to be in a specific location in my laptop?

If there is a step by step guide to updating the firmware can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Thank you very much

BigAl07
01.12.2011, 17:07
A) PLC first
ProfiLuxControl, Version 5.1.1.2
For ProfiLux 3 und ProfiLux II up to Firmware 5.11. Für ProfiLux 3 und ProfiLux II bis Firmware 5.11.

B) I backup my settings and everything (via PLC) before any major updates

C) I just did this and downloaded to the "Downloads" folder. Once the FW Update option is clicked it will ask you to browse to the correct location.

Make sure you're doing your update either over a RS232 to RS232 connection or a RS232 to RS232/USB connection. Many problems have been encountered when doing via USB only or by LAN. Play it safe and use RS232.

If you have a problem here are some helpful links:
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?1274-ProfiLux-3-What-to-do-in-the-case-a-firmware-update-failed

http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?1290-Update-for-ProfiLux-3-not-over-LAN!

BigAl07
01.12.2011, 17:20
If there is a step by step guide to updating the firmware can somebody point me in the right direction please?

This wont help you at the moment but I plan to do a step by step guide (with screen shots) for my next updates (PLC and Firmware).

Monihdez
01.12.2011, 20:49
Thank you much, that is very helpful.

My laptop doesn't have a RS232 connection I'm afraid. I have been reading that not all RS232 to USB connectors work with profilux. Is there a list somewhere of connectors that are known to work?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you again.

Monihdez
01.12.2011, 20:51
This wont help you at the moment but I plan to do a step by step guide (with screen shots) for my next updates (PLC and Firmware).

That would be an excellent idea and very helpful for all of us just starting with a profilux. It could be made a sticky.

Thanks

BigAl07
01.12.2011, 21:39
Thank you much, that is very helpful.

My laptop doesn't have a RS232 connection I'm afraid. I have been reading that not all RS232 to USB connectors work with profilux. Is there a list somewhere of connectors that are known to work?

Sorry for all the questions and thank you again.

First off no need for being sorry. We all started the same place and we all learned as we went along. I just happen to have a job that affords me a lot of Internet time so I try to help when I can (I'm usually getting the help LOL). I bought my USB/RS232 adapter at "Radio Shack" a few years back but I'm pretty sure Michael with Aqua Digital Inc (www.aqua-digital.com)
sales@aqua-digital.com
can get one into your hand in a few days that is sure to work with your ProfiLux.

That would be an excellent idea and very helpful for all of us just starting with a profilux. It could be made a sticky.
I hope to get some more done next week. I'm working on them at:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/73627-ghl-profilux-wireless-equipment-setup.html

and

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/73674-ghl-profilux-thunderstorm-settings.html

Monihdez
01.12.2011, 23:50
Thank you very much for your time. Unfortunately I am in the UK so I need a connector that I can buy here. Do you know of any?

Those links are very good and I am sure will be very helpful for many people. You should put all the links on a thread here so people can find them easier.

heliart
01.12.2011, 23:56
Does your PIII not have a USB connector on the back? The USB device on the PIII appears as a USB to RS232 converter. So, you just load the driver for that USB device, and it appears as a new COM port on yor PC.

Monihdez
02.12.2011, 00:10
Yes it does and I have connected it to the laptop through it but I though for Firmware updates it was safer to do it through the RA232 connection. Is this not the case?

Many thanks

Wirus
02.12.2011, 00:32
I though for Firmware updates it was safer to do it through the RA232 connection. Is this not the case?

Not really. USB update is normally not a problem BUT: If anything fails during update (maybe cause of power cut) you need to perform an emergency update. And this procedure is only possible via RS232 and the original serial cable. Due there is always a theoretical possibility to brick your PL3 during firmare update, it´s better to have the parts, software and guide for an emergency update in the near.

BigAl07
02.12.2011, 00:55
Not really. USB update is normally not a problem BUT: If anything fails during update (maybe cause of power cut) you need to perform an emergency update. And this procedure is only possible via RS232 and the original serial cable. Due there is always a theoretical possibility to brick your PL3 during firmare update, it´s better to have the parts, software and guide for an emergency update in the near.

Exactly. I'm working with a guy who is having a problem with his USB port and he's in the middle of the FW update. He had to take it to a friend to re-flash the controller.

Is it possible to do it via USB? Yes. If you're gonna try it you'd better have a backup plan handy especially if you're depending on your ProfiLux for Life Support for your tank(s).

richard.mayo
02.12.2011, 07:59
its a scary process for sure but i have always updated my firmware just through USB-USB and it always worked.

One thing i will tell you is when you are updating the firmware and PLC has just checked the file for errors and a prompt comes up, READ IT CAREFULLY!!
You need to confirm "download" on the actual Profilux first before you click "OK" on your laptop, i have done it the other way before and it didn't end well.

Just make sure you do that and you should be all good

But backup for settings and Sensor Data first. You may not need to restore them later as sometimes Profilux remembers them but its always good to have a backup

heliart
02.12.2011, 08:53
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?1274-ProfiLux-3-What-to-do-in-the-case-a-firmware-update-failed&highlight=Recovery

Agree, having a serial port backup is a very good idea, but never had an issue with the usb method, yet. Touch wood...

Monihdez
02.12.2011, 22:34
Thank you very much to everybody for your responses. I figured out that since I haven't set up the new tank yet, it is the best time to do the Firmware update. I might try using USB as soon as I have a decent amount of free time.

How long does a Firmware update take when you know what you are doing? I think I'll not attempt it until I have at least 3 times that amount of time in one go :)

In the meantime if anybody knows of an adaptor that works with profilux please let me know. I would like to have the backup option just in case.

Thank you very much.

GHL Support
05.12.2011, 09:46
How long does a Firmware update take when you know what you are doing?.

A firmware update lasts usually only a few minutes.

In the meantime if anybody knows of an adaptor that works with profilux please let me know..

You should pay attention that the adapter contains the chipset FTDI (or Prolific), then it should work.
Please also have a look here: http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?634-Connection-with-USB-please-read-first!

Monihdez
05.12.2011, 13:34
Thank you very much Carolin. I'll see if I can find one like that not sure all of them state this though.

Thanks for the link as well, my USB connection is working fine ( I already installed the driver as in the link) it is more as a back up that I want the adaptor just in case I make a mistake and I need to use the RS232 port.

Blahenazo
05.12.2011, 19:14
it is more as a back up that I want the adaptor just in case I make a mistake and I need to use the RS232 port.

+1
Wise precaution !