PDA

View Full Version : Ai wireless module

samyueru
19.09.2011, 23:30
Have you guys heard about the Aqua Illumination's upcoming wireless mods for the AI Sol? (not to be confused with the wireless capability for the new AI phoenix)
It will allow independent control of the lights through a web-based app, allowing things like cloud movement (one dims, brightens, then the other, etc. instead of all at once)

I'd LOVE it if GHL was working with them to allow the profilux software to take advantage of it, otherwise I'll have
to go back to using the AI controller. :(

Wirus
19.09.2011, 23:55
It will allow independent control of the lights through a web-based app, allowing things like cloud movement (one dims, brightens, then the other, etc. instead of
all at once)

Except the web based app all these things are still possible and available now with the Profilux computers.
As I know, GHL also works hard on the realisation of a web based interface for the PL3

samyueru
20.09.2011, 00:06
I'm not so sure it CAN individually change the LEDs instead of as a bank or communicate with them wirelessly.

heliart
22.09.2011, 16:02
I have 5 AI modules over my tank. It would be nice for cloud simulation if you could address each module independently, so have that type of effect where a cloud comes across the tank.

From what I know, you currently don't support this, but AI modules are individually addressable over the serial interface, so in theory it could be done.

It's interesting, as I know a lot of folks who buy the AI modules then buy a Profilux as the lighting support for AI is included (that's what I did) - so I'm always keen on seeing a feature in the Profilux that the AI controller does not support, otherwise might be better off going with what AI brings out, and this lowers the value/advantage of the Profilux somewhat in my view.

Matthias
30.09.2011, 16:24
I asked them how to access the lamps individually, but they said the address is stored in the volatile memory, that means the address would be reset after a powercycle.

samyueru
30.09.2011, 16:38
Mattias,
Are you talking about how the new wireless module will access them individually?

If that's the case, I wonder how "it" will find the new address for the lamps. Each lamp will have a wireless device, but I'm not sure how they plan for it to communicate to the controller. I'm assuming the data input of each AI will connect to a wireless module, then the AI controller's input device will have a master of some sort. And the master device would somehow have to poll the lamps for their new address and resolve it there. If that's the case, the "master" should be able to be plugged into the profilux via the GHL--> AI cable just the same as an individual light. But, obviously, it would be a software issues to get the GHL to "read" the master network device. I don't know if that makes any sense at all.

My frustration is that I LOVE the way GHL controls the AI lights, but it looks like AI's controller with the wireless device will be able to control the lights individually (creating awesome effects like a left-to-right sunrise or true "passing" clouds), and that would make it a really hard choice of what to use to control the lights!

Obviously, a good part of it will be waiting for the AI lights to release the wireless mode so we can all see how it really works, but I think if GHL was able to make use of AI's new technology, it would be HUGE.

aqua_digital
01.10.2011, 14:27
I have not read anywhere that the Ai controller will be able to control each lamp individually. Although this is potentially possible you would need a wireless access point for each device and the Ai still has a volatile memory.

samyueru
01.10.2011, 15:03
http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/12/aqua-illumination-sol-nano-wireless-module/

They will each have a wireless access point. Hopefully soon AI will release more details, maybe you guys can get some behind the scenes info!

aqua_digital
01.10.2011, 15:26
Yep this is what i said you would need to have a serieis of access points, it will not address through one access point with the units daisy chained if you want singluar control over each module.

The more interesting point is if GHL will be given access to develop a wireless device for Ai? Ecotech have already said they will allow third party access for the Radion and GHL already has the module developed and in circulation (Ecotech module). So I hold out confidence Ai would not wish to be left behind.

samyueru
01.10.2011, 15:59
I think I see what you're saying - that it's made so you buy only one module and the rest are hard wired together, acting as slaves to the wireless one.
And I understand that the profilux only has one input for the AI, so only one connection could be made. But it would be very interesting if the profilux could (and it should with the network feature and a wireless bridge or the wifi upgrade) bypass the AI connection altogether and control the individual IPs of the wireless access points. The sheer level of control that would give the user would be staggering. And it would benefit both GHL and AI to be able to market that. (I agree AI won't like to be left behind)

Obviously it's all conjecture at this point until we have more information, but I'd love to put the bug in people's ears that this seems like an extraordinary capability that could be unlocked.