PDA

View Full Version : Dimmable T5's dimming at a different rate

jpdarr
26.07.2011, 04:36
Hi, I am hoping you can help me.
I have a Profilux 3 and the expansion box. I am running a Profilux EVG-AP-2F Ballast Control Board with 2 dimmable Ballasts, each controlling two bulbs (4 in total). The bulbs are 39 watt T5's.

I have the ballasts plugged in to their own power source, and are wired to the EVG-AP-2F only through the control lines. The 2 bulbs on the 1st ballast operate as expected, however the second ballast has a strange thing happening. The bulbs both dim, but at different rates. For example:

The bulb on the left starts to get dimmer at around 35% and is virtually off by the time it gets down to 10%, whereas the bulb on the right doesn't really start to dim until the 10-12% mark, and then goes off when I reach 0%. Can you tell me what could cause this? One of the bulbs is newer, but has been used 100 hours already as I have had the lights operating for some time. Does brand of bulb make a difference? Any input you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you.
Jason

jpdarr
26.07.2011, 07:20
Ok, so it appears that I have more issues here... The lights do dim down as programmed (however unevenly as mentioned above)... but, when they begin to dim back on, they flicker and then go out. After that they will not turn back on again (no matter what I do) unless I unplug the ballasts from the power bar and then plug them back in... I suppose I could program a timer to turn the outlets off, but I really dont want to use 2 of the programmable channels for something like this. I am getting really **********... please help...
Thanks

Matthias
26.07.2011, 09:17
Hi

ProfiLux does nothing else then sending a voltage signale between 1V and 10V.

The ballast is responsibe for producing a correct brightness which refers to the signal (or percentage).

If there is an issue it is not caused by ProfiLux, its more likely that the ballasts and/or the wiring (too long wires to tubes?) makes a problem.

Are we talking about GHL light bars or about DIY lamps?

jpdarr
28.07.2011, 09:21
Thanks very much. I shortened the wires and this corrected the problem