PDA

View Full Version : Dimmable T5's

jpdarr
09.07.2011, 22:56
Hello, I need some help.
I have a profilux 3 and I am looking to switch to dimmable ballasts.
I am currently using the following actinic lighting:
Sunlight Supply 39W T5 Tek Retrofit System - (36 Inch, 2 Bulb) x 2
Giesmann Powerchrome 39 W-T5 bulbs x 4

Questions:

1. I see lots of people recommend the Advance Mark 10 Powerline Dimmable Ballast (2 x 24w)
2. Is this the correct ballast that I need? Do I need to get a 39 Watt ballast (as my bulbs are 39 watt), or does the 24 watt ballast work the same for both bulb wattages? (sorry, I am not well educated on this stuff)
3. Will I need to replace any of the end caps on my Sunlight Supply system? (I have heard this but not sure what the reasoning is)
4. I have been using these bulbs for a couple months now. Will I need to “burn them in” before dimming them?
5. Is there a better bulb that you would recommend for dimming that has the same spectrum as the Giesmann Powerchromes?
6. If I order one of the Profilux EVG-AP-2F Ballast Control Board’s, will this allow me to operate the two dimmable ballast individually? (so I can have 1 ballast dimming bulbs at a different time than the other ballast)
7. My last question, is I have some LED moonlights. I’d like to be able to dim them as well. Can you tell me what else I would need to accomplish this?

Sorry for the mountain of questions.
Thanks
Jason

Wirus
09.07.2011, 23:49
1. I see lots of people recommend the Advance Mark 10 Powerline Dimmable Ballast (2 x 24w)
With right size (see 2.) the Philips ballasts should ok.. but I have no experience with it. The Osram Quicktronic QTi 1x21/39/220-240 DIM (which I have) may also a good choice, you can use the 2x version for two bulbs.

2. Is this the correct ballast that I need? Do I need to get a 39 Watt ballast (as my bulbs are 39 watt), or does the 24 watt ballast work the same for both bulb wattages? (sorry, I am not well educated on this stuff)
No. Wattage must be same as bulb wattage - all other will cause problems.

3. Will I need to replace any of the end caps on my Sunlight Supply system? (I have heard this but not sure what the reasoning is)

If you already have T5: No. Only if you change from T8 to t5 you need to change the bulb holders.

4. I have been using these bulbs for a couple months now. Will I need to “burn them in” before dimming them?
No. You have burened them in for a couple otf month - that should be enought (burn-in is nothing else than runing at 100% for a minimum time, mostly 100h)

5. Is there a better bulb that you would recommend for dimming that has the same spectrum as the Giesmann Powerchromes?
If you ask two people you will get three different answers. Do you really think, Giesemann (or any of the other aquaristic suppliers) will create own bulbs? I think it´s Philips, Osram or a similar supplier´s standard product with customized label.

6. If I order one of the Profilux EVG-AP-2F Ballast Control Board’s, will this allow me to operate the two dimmable ballast individually? (so I can have 1 ballast dimming bulbs at a different time than the other ballast)
Yes.

7. My last question, is I have some LED moonlights. I’d like to be able to dim them as well. Can you tell me what else I would need to accomplish this?

Not knowing the kind of your light it´s not easy, but you can have a look at the LEDControl4Active (and maybe the LEDControl4Passive)

jpdarr
10.07.2011, 00:14
Thanks for the information!