PDA

View Full Version : Turn Off Ozone at Redox Point

freemchr
16.06.2009, 10:42
Just wondering how do i go about turning off an ozone unit when it reaches a certain point ie 350mv.

Cheers & Thanks.

Matthias
16.06.2009, 12:42
adjust a socket function as "redox 1 upwards" and enter 350mV in the redox section as desired value

rodouma
11.07.2009, 00:29
Hi Matthias,

I recently read an article from R.H. Farley in the widely reputable Reefkeeping magazine (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php#18) that stated the following:

"The theory behind ORP is complex, and it is not clear what chemicals in the water an ORP electrode actually measures. The electrode can also take hours to days to equilibrate with seawater, as various organic and inorganic materials bind to it or are released, so its response to changes may not be fast."

So, do you think that we can fully trust the redox real-time readings of our electrode or it is better to wait for some time (?) in order to "equilibrate" and indicate the actual redox value?

It is a very serious issue IMHO, because if the electrodes cannot read the actual real-time redox value, then it could be very easy to overdose the aquarium with ozone and have possible destructive consequencies!!!

I would appreciate your opinion on this issue.

Coralleida
11.07.2009, 01:13
I've been working with several redox probes in several reef tanks, and in my opinion:

When you use a new Redox probe, it takes more or less 2 weeks to achieve real values
Redox values depends on every tank
A lot of chemicals inside the water can affect the Redox value
I've been reading a lot of articles talking about Redox values, and if you read through the web, you'll see a lot of different opinions about it

A lot of people says it's a good thing to use Ozone generators, but in my experience:

Don't use a big ozone generator. Some skimmers can't work with ozone values over than 50 ppm. So if your tank is under 1000 liters, it's better to use little ozone generators (<100)
It's better to regulate your ozone generator to lower values so as the Redox value will take longer to raise
Sometimes the error of the probes can be 50 (or 100), but it does not indicate the probe is wrong
Always, after calibrating the probe, you MUST wait some time before connecting again the redox generator, it takes some time before the probe reads the real values
Don't intend to get high Redox levels in your aquariums (such as 400), it's better 350.

rodouma
13.07.2009, 02:10
I've been working with several redox probes in several reef tanks, and in my opinion:

When you use a new Redox probe, it takes more or less 2 weeks to achieve real values
Redox values depends on every tank
A lot of chemicals inside the water can affect the Redox value
I've been reading a lot of articles talking about Redox values, and if you read through the web, you'll see a lot of different opinions about it

A lot of people says it's a good thing to use Ozone generators, but in my experience:

Don't use a big ozone generator. Some skimmers can't work with ozone values over than 50 ppm. So if your tank is under 1000 liters, it's better to use little ozone generators (<100)
It's better to regulate your ozone generator to lower values so as the Redox value will take longer to raise
Sometimes the error of the probes can be 50 (or 100), but it does not indicate the probe is wrong
Always, after calibrating the probe, you MUST wait some time before connecting again the redox generator, it takes some time before the probe reads the real values
Don't intend to get high Redox levels in your aquariums (such as 400), it's better 350.

Thanks a lot Coralleida! :)

Do you think that is better to use the "strong" filter setting for the redox reading in my PLII+? Is this useful in ozone's safer provisioning?