PDA

View Full Version : New web interface for ProfiLux 3 coming soon!

Matthias
21.05.2011, 14:43
After more than 1 year of development:

There will be a completely new web interface for ProfiLux 3 soon, here are some preliminary screenshots.

Right now we are still testing and optimising, I believe we can activate the new web interface in the firmware end of June!

Matthias
21.05.2011, 15:36
on the iPhone:

mdanielse
21.05.2011, 19:05
I hope that this one does work with the web-based Glype proxy.
The console-page in combination with the Glype proxy does not work with the current web interface.

The Glype proxy is for me the only way to check my Profilux when i am at the office

Antipodes
21.05.2011, 21:50
Looks very promising, will do an evaluation on it when it reaches the wilds.
The mobile interface from what I can see, I expect will display on any smart phone web browser. (There are more than iPhones out in the world)

Paul

richard.mayo
21.05.2011, 21:57
Omg omg omg thatvlooks amazing, I can't wait for the end of June I need it now

TheManicFishkeeper
22.05.2011, 01:17
Now this I am looking forward to. Looks really good!

Blahenazo
23.05.2011, 19:24
I hope that this one does work with the web-based Glype proxy.
The console-page in combination with the Glype proxy does not work with the current web interface.

The Glype proxy is for me the only way to check my Profilux when i am at the office

amen for proxy support !

steviek
24.05.2011, 15:45
Looks very promising, will do an evaluation on it when it reaches the wilds.
The mobile interface from what I can see, I expect will display on any smart phone web browser. (There are more than iPhones out in the world)

Paul

indeed. not everyone wants to use an iphone.

fletch
24.05.2011, 16:21
amen for proxy support !

Are you guys aware of how insecure using a proxy is? Not only are usernames and passwords probably logged and stored but why would you risk messing around with a life support system through one - there are some real technical issues with that.

Equally if you look at the current web interface is uses standard javascript ajax, so "if you were" (and I don't recommend it) going to use one you would need to ensure it supported javascript - some do some don't.

I wonder what is making you use a proxy - are you running your external IP's through a non standard web port? ie not port 80? Or is it a problem with an IP or domain name restriction?

There has to be a better option...

ps. hope your not buying things online or banking through a proxy!

mdanielse
24.05.2011, 18:36
I use my own Glype-proxy, on my own personal domain, so i control the administration and thus also the logfiles. The reason i need to use a proxy is because my Profilux does not run on port 80, and at work i only can access servers on port 80 all the other ports are blocked. So i need a proxy to check my aquarium from the office.

Are you guys aware of how insecure using a proxy is? Not only are usernames and passwords probably logged and stored but why would you risk messing around with a life support system through one - there are some real technical issues with that.

Equally if you look at the current web interface is uses standard javascript ajax, so "if you were" (and I don't recommend it) going to use one you would need to ensure it supported javascript - some do some don't.

I wonder what is making you use a proxy - are you running your external IP's through a non standard web port? ie not port 80? Or is it a problem with an IP or domain name restriction?

Blahenazo
24.05.2011, 19:31

even using the 'normal' http port of the webserver across the net is insecure. (that's why I don't longer use the web console ) except for emergency => if I login with admin account , in the evening I change the pwd directly.

I would use the proxy to coupe with the http only support of the webserver , https to proxy and from proxy (internalnetwork ) in http to profilux.
for the record : technically that isn't even called proxying but reversed proxy :)

vpn is not always handy to do configuration.

mdanielse
25.05.2011, 00:10
I only use the Guest Account on the webinterface even when I use my proxy, never the Admin....... so if somebody is "sniffing" my password, he/she can only look at my aquarium status, not change anything.
Just give us SSL on the Profilux, just like the webserver from my UPS. But i don't think that this is a great priority at GHL.
The have so many things to build and so little time............

fletch
25.05.2011, 02:20
even using the 'normal' http port of the webserver across the net is insecure. (that's why I don't longer use the web console ) except for emergency => if I login with admin account , in the evening I change the pwd directly.

Couldnt agree more!

fletch
25.05.2011, 02:32
I only use the Guest Account on the webinterface even when I use my proxy, never the Admin....... so if somebody is "sniffing" my password, he/she can only look at my aquarium status, not change anything.
Just give us SSL on the Profilux, just like the webserver from my UPS. But i don't think that this is a great priority at GHL.
The have so many things to build and so little time............

Https has been discussed before on this forum and complexities aside for generating csr and installing certificates the not so IT literate individuals, the nuts and bolts of it was this isnt a PC and has limited RAM.

Also I think remote access is for observation and changes should be done at home where you can keep an eye on those changes - who uses the PC app at work? Not many... Imagine the risks of remote changes - you half way through and router is playing up, or your ip changes, wouldnt be the first time!

The benefits are still masdive and the Mac users would love it too!

mdanielse
25.05.2011, 11:39
We will see what the new Webinterface will bring us. If you can adjust more settings in the new webinterface than in the old one, GHL have to do something about the security to, otherwise it does not make any sense to offer the Profilux these websettings capability's.

boboxx
25.05.2011, 13:36
As much as I would like to see build in support for SSL, it’s been already proven that the processor and ram that the profilux3 was fitted with was to small the extra load, heck it has a hard time handling standard lan communication.

It's already easy enough to secure the Profilux with existent security appliance…

aqua_digital
25.05.2011, 14:39
will the Iphone option need to be run through a third party server or is this now stand alone?

boboxx
25.05.2011, 16:37
stand alone by the looks of it... it's a new set of web interface

Blahenazo
25.05.2011, 18:44
As much as I would like to see build in support for SSL, it’s been already proven that the processor and ram that the profilux3 was fitted with was to small the extra load, heck it has a hard time handling standard lan communication.

It's already easy enough to secure the Profilux with existent security appliance…

anyway P4 must have SSL support then :)

fletch
25.05.2011, 19:12
will the Iphone option need to be run through a third party server or is this now stand alone?

This is a browser based application that is on safari on the iPhone, not an "iPhone App" and doesn't support multiple Profilux - I presume as cross domain AJAX is prohibited in most browsers.

mdanielse
25.05.2011, 19:28
Like what...??

boboxx
25.05.2011, 21:35
vpn or ssh tunneling

mdanielse
26.05.2011, 00:25
But how does this work when I am at a Internetcafe located in lets say Bonaire, Bermuda or Thailand? :confused:

vpn or ssh tunneling

boboxx
26.05.2011, 00:34
there are a few vpn client on a stick :)

If you really wanted to you could set up a small https server that proxy over internaly the access to the P3

richard.mayo
26.05.2011, 11:04
I just want something that looks pretty :)

You IT geeks.... Haha

Blahenazo
26.05.2011, 18:45
me too,

but not something that someone can misuse and destroy my tank.

steviek
20.06.2011, 19:39
so is it here yet !!!
keep on waiting

JasonK
23.06.2011, 02:29
End of june isn't too far away now.....

JasonK
28.06.2011, 03:35
Can we start a 3 day countdown? ;) Eagerly awaiting this release so I can go native Mac.

richard.mayo
28.06.2011, 07:25
I'm waiting also, please release soon

ganesh
30.06.2011, 18:41
+1

richard.mayo
03.07.2011, 04:39
Your late :)

steviek
04.07.2011, 14:06
do we have a new date to shoot to?

Matthias
06.07.2011, 13:04
yes we are late, I know!

still struggling with some details

Nory
07.07.2011, 14:14
... Courage...

ganesh
07.07.2011, 16:40
Question (slightly OT):
Will it be possible to setup and operate a PL3 via webbrowser alone, without the need for a Pc?
TIA

Matthias
07.07.2011, 17:41
95% of the functions - yes

ganesh
07.07.2011, 18:10
Good news! The remaining 5% would be…?

Antipodes
07.07.2011, 21:33
Good news! The remaining 5% would be…?

Find out when it is released for sure!

ganesh
07.07.2011, 22:43
Antipodes,
the purpose (or at least one) of the forum is, to keep us engaged and busy guessing…
till the software is ready for release : )

richard.mayo
08.07.2011, 04:37
Is there a update on the timings, this is probably one ofnthe biggest changes we have all been waiting for I'm checking this thread daily

Antipodes
10.07.2011, 01:46
Antipodes,
the purpose (or at least one) of the forum is, to keep us engaged and busy guessing…
till the software is ready for release : )

Hahaha, Yeah sure, I guess for me I am busy enough with other stuff and I am not waiting on the nice to have stuff. But I used to know what you mean.
For me it was scanning the latest computer hardware and buying it the instant it came out. Soon got sick of reinstalling the operating system and drivers multiple times then finding the hardware had a minor bug, wait for the Bios fix then do the whole process ad infinitum. Nowdays I don't have time to wipe my A$&@, so quite prepared to let you guys do the bug finding so I can upload a problem free solution.
Still, I am looking forward to this, as it is a big jump for the system!

richard.mayo
17.07.2011, 02:45
hello..... is anyone home...... still waiting for the update :(

steviek
19.07.2011, 14:34
Well my patients is running thin. whats the purpose of setting a date if you constantly miss it.

antipoides, nice to have? your kidding right, my 10 year old AC2 has a web interface that runs my frag tank.

Antipodes
20.07.2011, 03:24
Well my patients is running thin. whats the purpose of setting a date if you constantly miss it.

antipoides, nice to have? your kidding right, my 10 year old AC2 has a web interface that runs my frag tank.

HI Steviek,
Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to this just as much as everyone here.
But after the early release of profilux control 6 and the disappointment with having a Alfa product that was clearly not ready for prime time.
I at least can control my tank at the moment and I don't want to see a half arsed system again for the web interface.
Yep and I get where you are coming from in that comparable products from GHL competitors had the web interface right out of the box.
Having said that I still think I made the right choice with the controller I now have!

But GHL, yes please at least let us know if this is going to be 1,2 or more months in the future.

richard.mayo
23.07.2011, 05:56
Why cant we just be told a new ETA, if it taking longer thats fine but just not responding to your customers is RUDE!!!

Matthias
23.07.2011, 08:34
"Rude" is not the correct expression for it

Where is the point to give you a date when we don't know the date, only to say something?

We are working on it and we made progress - it can be ready any day or in 4 weeks - I just don't know it.

aqua_digital
23.07.2011, 12:48
Guys

Phone up Apple and ask them for an exact release date for their next firmware launch and see if you get past reception. GHL are working on multiple expansions for ProfiLux and are very open with everything they do. We are all very lucky we have this direct contact with the manufacturers as it is.

All good things come to those that wait, so lets wait for the good things can we please without being so hot about it, I am sure none of our tanks are going to crash in the meantime.

ganesh
23.07.2011, 13:59
Sure would love it…
if GHL could be compared to Apple in any way! ; ) : )

but I'm afraid…

richard.mayo
24.07.2011, 07:45
Matthias

I believe we can activate the new web interface in the firmware end of June!
Why say this at the start if you are now saying you cant give any date at all..... Do you not have deadlines for these types of projects??!?!

Aqua_digital
Well actually Apple has already honored their "July" release date that they told us at the beginning of June so that was really a bad comparison
They also have told us "fall" for their new iOS and iCloud products which im 100% sure they will honor.

Its only a good thing to have your customers so engaged with the future developments of GHL and Profilux, i would be a little more open with them considering there is more and more choice everyday for Aquarium Computers...

aqua_digital
24.07.2011, 12:51
Difference here is Apple do not have a company open forum for you go and hound them on when they do miss something, they just dont tell you or give you an outlet to moan about it ;) At least we have an open and willing manufacturer here that does not hide behind corporate doors. Huge respect for that.

Yes its great to have the whole world so engaged with profilux, this is the best thing about the product, I just ask, please guys lets keep the tone friendly. If you really are chomping at the bit for this to be launched then I am sure you would rather have something relaible. So how about if GHL make the deliverable date "within the next 6 months providing their are no further advancements that need to be added" coinciding with other important developments.

I know all too well as the USA distributor about the other brands I also know we are getting a huge influx right now from brand jumpers over to ProfiLux, so GHL are doing something right thats for sure. The web interface is a very tiny client requested part in the brand of ProfiLux when you look at the whole userbase of wishes, it is also a very niche club of users that we see wanting it. Hardware and amazing software based functionality are the key words here, we get easily 10 to 1 more requests emailed to us than for any walk about web app. That does not mean GHL will not produce probably the best application out there for its industry sector but they have to balance it with many other important prrojects.

I for one am more interested in a new piece of hardware GHL are developing rather than an App I can see my tank on when not at home. When I walk out the door I like to leave my house hold bobbies at home, when my tank wobbled it was profiLux control software that saved the day as you can control everything through it, I was 3500 miles away at the time. I guess I have never really got to grips with the need to carry my fish tank in my pocket. Hard ware is far more imprtant to my system than a funky piece of phoneware ;)

Can you still make phone calls on cell phones these days? Or did they remove that option and replace it with the latest gaming app? :p

mdanielse
24.07.2011, 13:04
So buy a other system and stop pushing GHL..... it will take as long as it takes to design the new webinterface. Nothing you will write here will speed up this process.

And if you look closer to Apple, you will see that they also from time to time do not honour the things they say they will do, and or release a product which has some serious problems.

Matthias
i would be a little more open with them considering there is more and more choice everyday for Aquarium Computers...

Wirus
24.07.2011, 13:36
Why say this at the start if you are now saying you cant give any date at all..... Do you not have deadlines for these types of projects??!?!

If anyone tells me "I believe we can ...." then this is for me an estimation, not a fixed date. And you are long enought with GHL to know that this kind of deadlines normally are ... let´s say "very optimistic".

The comparison to a big company like Apple must fail due this companies have hundreds of engineers working on a project and only on that project. And they want to earn money with it. So a deadline is a must. Against that, GHL is a small company in a niche market with limited resources. And the updates are free of charge, so I can understand, that if there is a big workload with other things the development of new features have to wait. And at last: Testing takes time. The lives of our pets are hooked to the correct function of the Profilux. Do you really want a computer that have cool new functions, but sometimes it hangs and has to be rebooted?

I cannot understand why so much people are making such an effort about new interface, not knowing if it´s better than the old one or if it´s buggy or not. It´s the same with all software features before: First there is an announcement, then there is the big cry why it´s not released yet. And if it´s released, same people tell us how disappointed they are due the new interface does not fulfill exactly their thoughts. And the cycle starts again ....

For me the PL does fit my needs "as is" and if there is something new, I will take it as "nice to have" and an additional gift I´ve not expected the moment I got my PL.

So I only can say: Thank you GHL for developing permanently new features, even if it takes sometimes longer than expected.

Matthias
24.07.2011, 14:39
I got many PMs today from people askingme why I don't close this thread!

It is closed now, we reopen it as soon as we have reliable, new and useful information for you.