PDA

View Full Version : Cannot connect using LAN card

pjcook
13.05.2009, 01:25
I am having a similiar issue to other users in trying to connect to the profilux II unit over my LAN.

I installed the LAN card into Slot 1 and configured the card with an ip address of 192.168.0.14 using the front panel of the profilux.

Using the profilux control software I cannot connect to the unit even though it is visible on the network and I can connect using the ip address in a browser, which allows me to reconfigure the ip address and saves this information to the card.

I have tried to auto configure the ip address, still unable to connect. I have moved the LAN card to slot 2 still unable to connect.

I have tried a direct connection to the profilux, bypassing any routers or switches and have disabled the firewall on the computer.

The only thing I am unsure of is the device address so I have tired connecting using address # 1, 2 and 3.

I believe the issue is not related to my network configuration as the device appears on the network and I can connect to it sucesfully using the inbuilt server.

Matthias
13.05.2009, 08:44
did you change the baudrate in the inbuilt server and/or in Profilux?

another idea - we noticed that there is a problem with some routers/switches if the LAN card uses "auto negotiation" for the LAN speed

Please change this setting in the Lantronix built-in server:
Network - ethernet configuration
disable "Auto negotiate"
chose 10MBps
click OK
click Apply settings

pjcook
13.05.2009, 09:03
did you change the baudrate in the inbuilt server and/or in Profilux?

another idea - we noticed that there is a problem with some routers/switches if the LAN card uses "auto negotiation" for the LAN speed

Please change this setting in the Lantronix built-in server:
Network - ethernet configuration
disable "Auto negotiate"
chose 10MBps
click OK
click Apply settings

No I did not change the Baud rate at all.

I have changed the configuration to 10 Mbps and still cannot connect.

If the card is plugged into the middle slot on my profilux what Device Address should I select in the software?

Also the paperwork mention a program call redirector from www.lantronix.com to provide a Virtual COM-Port but this is not mentioned in the downloaded instructions, do I need this software?

Matthias
13.05.2009, 09:10
the device address is usually 1, independent from the used slot
you don`t need the redirector, actually this part of software is included in ProfiLuxControl when you use "TCP/IP" under connection settings

The port 10001 is used for transmitting data to ProfiLux - is there maybe a firewall which blocks this port? If you can see the built-in server you access standard port 80, so this means even if you see the server it is still possible that the other communication does not work.

pjcook
13.05.2009, 12:58
the device address is usually 1, independent from the used slot
you don`t need the redirector, actually this part of software is included in ProfiLuxControl when you use "TCP/IP" under connection settings

The port 10001 is used for transmitting data to ProfiLux - is there maybe a firewall which blocks this port? If you can see the built-in server you access standard port 80, so this means even if you see the server it is still possible that the other communication does not work.

As per original post, I have directly connected to the profilux LAN car with no routers or firewalls involved, still unable to connect.

I have tried to connect using the USB interface I previously used and that too is now failing to connect, even though it was previously working perfectly.

I am unable to check the Serial port connection as I do not have a computer with a serial port.

At this time I am unable to connect using any interface.

aqua_digital
13.05.2009, 13:56
Then you need a cross over cable to connect directly, it will not work without

pjcook
13.05.2009, 14:21
[QUOTE=aqua_digital;1655]Then you need a cross over cable to connect directly, it will not work without[/QUOTE

I did use a crossover cable when I directly connected

aqua_digital
13.05.2009, 14:37
I will ask matthias to assist you directly.

Matthias
13.05.2009, 15:49
"As per original post, I have directly connected to the profilux LAN car with no routers or firewalls involved, still unable to connect."
-> I meant the windows firewall (not a hardware firewall) - is it deactivated

"I have tried to connect using the USB interface I previously used and that too is now failing to connect, even though it was previously working perfectly. "
-> this is trange, it worked and now it doesn`t work any more? What was changed? PC-software, firmware-update, operating system?
Please let us find from what event on the trouble started and let us go from there

pjcook
13.05.2009, 23:53
"As per original post, I have directly connected to the profilux LAN car with no routers or firewalls involved, still unable to connect."
-> I meant the windows firewall (not a hardware firewall) - is it deactivated

Windows Firewall deactivated, and no hardware firewall at all.

"I have tried to connect using the USB interface I previously used and that too is now failing to connect, even though it was previously working perfectly. "
-> this is trange, it worked and now it doesn`t work any more? What was changed? PC-software, firmware-update, operating system?
Please let us find from what event on the trouble started and let us go from there

I have tried it using both WinXP and WIndows 7 RC. The USB connection worked perfectly until I removed it to install the LAN card. I re-installed the USB Card so I could use the software while I sorted out what was wrong with the LAN connection. I have tried the USB card in every slot as I did with the LAN card.

I was using Version 4.0.5.0 of ProfiluxControl but downloaded 4.0.6.1 to see if that fixed the issue.

Matthias
14.05.2009, 07:10
and the firmware version has not changed meanwhile?

I can't imgine how it should happen that 2 cards become defective at the same time without any reason. Did you make a "hotplugging"?

pjcook
14.05.2009, 10:44
and the firmware version has not changed meanwhile?

I can't imgine how it should happen that 2 cards become defective at the same time without any reason. Did you make a "hotplugging"?

OK, I found a computer with a Serial port and was unable to connect using the serial port either. I have done a complete factory reset on the profilux and the serial port and USB port are now operational.

The LAN connection is still not working.

No I have not changed the Firmware as it is at the latest stable version.

Matthias
15.05.2009, 07:50
at least USB and RS232 are working again

I think you changed the device address (standard is 1), maybe accidentaly, and after factory reset the address was again 1 and ProfiLuxControl was able to establish a connection.
Can you confirm that the device address in ProfiLux (can be checked under menu extras->communication on the device itself) and ProfiLuxControl are matching?

It is clear that the slot where the PLM-USB is plugged in is working correctly. In order to avoid a mixture of hardware and settings problems could you try the PLM-LAN in this slot?
It must work. EACH SINGLE PLM-xxx leaves our house 100% tested.
Before proceeding please assign a static IP-address to the PLM-LAN which fits to your PCs IP-address (can be done on the device)

The only things which are left now are:
- trouble with the Windows firewall
- defective card for some reason

pjcook
15.05.2009, 13:50
at least USB and RS232 are working again

I think you changed the device address (standard is 1), maybe accidentaly, and after factory reset the address was again 1 and ProfiLuxControl was able to establish a connection.
Can you confirm that the device address in ProfiLux (can be checked under menu extras->communication on the device itself) and ProfiLuxControl are matching?

It is clear that the slot where the PLM-USB is plugged in is working correctly. In order to avoid a mixture of hardware and settings problems could you try the PLM-LAN in this slot?
It must work. EACH SINGLE PLM-xxx leaves our house 100% tested.
Before proceeding please assign a static IP-address to the PLM-LAN which fits to your PCs IP-address (can be done on the device)

The only things which are left now are:
- trouble with the Windows firewall
- defective card for some reason

I have plugged the LAN card into the same slot the USB card was in and still unable to connect. I have also tried all of the other slots as well.

I have assigned a static ip address of 192.168.0.14 which is on the same subnet as my computers.

I have also tested with automatically assigning IP address, still unable to connect.

The computer I have directly connected is going through a switch directly to the Profilux and the Windows firewall is disabled and also disconnected directly from the computers LAN interface so it cannot interfere.

I am afraid at this time the only thing left is a faulty LAN card.

Matthias
16.05.2009, 08:55
I think we are at the point where you should contact your retailer because I have no more ideas, sorry
If your retailer has questions regarding the further procedure he should contact me directly via email.

pjcook
16.05.2009, 09:57
I think we are at the point where you should contact your retailer because I have no more ideas, sorry
If your retailer has questions regarding the further procedure he should contact me directly via email.

Hi Matthias

I agree, I have returned the card to my retailer, he is going to return it to be checked.

Thanks for your assistance.

Peter

pjcook
10.06.2009, 07:23
Hi Matthias

I agree, I have returned the card to my retailer, he is going to return it to be checked.

Thanks for your assistance.

Peter

Hi Matthias

I have received the replacement LAN card today, installed and connected first time without a hitch.

Regards

Peter Cook

Matthias
10.06.2009, 08:08
glad to hear!