PDA

View Full Version : Updating firmware of VorTech pumps

Matthias
22.10.2010, 12:48
is now possible!

With ProfiLux 3 firmware 5.04a, ProfiLuxControl 5.0.4.2 and VorTech-Controller firmware 1.01 (or higher) VorTech-pumps from EcoTech can be updated wirelessly!

all files and the newest VorTech manual can be downloaded from our download page as usual:
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System__E_/Support/sections.php

furthermore we added some monitoring functions for the VorTech pumps

mshur
22.10.2010, 16:11
Upgraded! Profilux is the best!!!!
Everything went pretty smooth. For people who have EB and will be adding VM, please disconnect EB before updating VM to 1.01 version. Very important hint!
My steps were:
1. Upgrade Profilux -3 to latest firmware.
2. Install new PCL 5.04.02
3. Reset Vortech pumps and disconnect them from power supplies
4. Upgrade VM according the manual from GHL (follow all steps accordingly)
After VM upgrade be sure there is a stable connection between Profilux and VM via
PAB. . After this upgrade I had to assign VM to Profilux. This was very easy, please
Follow the manual instruction
5. Next step was: upgrading ES pump to a new 1.06 firmware.

Hint: Do not assign pumps to a Profilux before upgrading to a new firmware!

Please, read manual carefully before going into this step.. This step I did like 4 times
We only have 2 min to set up for this upgrade.
To make sure you pumps upgraded, please look at the PCL --Vortech overview screen
To see if firmware upgraded to 1.06. If this is done go for a last step.

6. Assign pumps. Also, be careful and if you follow all steps this would be quick and
Easy!
7. After all this you can program pump in all different mode and times.

Good luck!

PS. Matthias, if miss something ,please correct me .

Matthias
22.10.2010, 16:21
Mike, everything correct, thanks for your post

rostato
22.10.2010, 16:22
What exactly does EB, VM, and VB stand for? Thanks!

Matthias
22.10.2010, 16:25
EB = Expansion Box
VM = VorTech-Controller (I guess Mike meant "VorTech-Module")
VB = I think this was a typo, I changed it to VM (Mike, am I right?)

rostato
22.10.2010, 16:27
Great, thanks! Can't wait to get my module, and set it up.

mshur
22.10.2010, 16:38
Yes, sorry it was a typo..:)

Blahenazo
22.10.2010, 18:58
sadly the only annoying thing on vortech pumps is the noise :( ,otherwise I might have bought more of them and then a VM would have been a nice addition to my profilux.
but buying the module for 1 vortech (that is in a sump) is just not every smart i guess :)

mshur
22.10.2010, 19:22
i have two and they run pretty quite. sometimes i hear ruttle noise,but i move motor part around and noise is gone.. try to contact ecomarine, maybe they give you some more ideas..

Blahenazo
22.10.2010, 19:28
nah I gave up. They are just loud
but I must say I have a VERY VERY quiet tank.

If they ever get the noise down I might reconsider because the flow is better then Tunze
But the MP40w is in the sump and stays there (and more not running then running :), since the current is a bit strong if the vortech is on ). So for now only tunze in the tank.

rostato
22.10.2010, 19:46
The new MP60's are supposed to be more balanced, and hopefully more quiet...

I have owned 5 different vortechs over the years, and never had one that I considered loud.

aqua_digital
23.10.2010, 13:25
I would switch to Vortech in a heart beat and not just because we distirbute them, because they do have the best fow in the industry, but with small tanks like mine and the importance of upward flow in an SPS tank I cant fit them as i cant create bottom draw from have the pumps at a 45 degree vertical angle.

I spoke with Tim about this and put the idea in his head of fitting a grate on the front that can be directional adjusted, bit like car air vents. Maybe I will have to got to an old scrap yard with my dremmel and see what i can knock up ;)

Matthias
23.10.2010, 16:02
Hi

I can confirm this - the VorTech seem not to be louder than other similar pumps, maybe this was the case with earlier versions, I don't know.

But: this thread was supposed to deal with the update of the VorTech pumps over ProfiLux and the Vortech-Controller - please stay at the topic, if you want to discuss other topics then you should start another thread, thanks

Rotknee
24.10.2010, 09:11
Upgraded! Profilux is the best!!!!
Everything went pretty smooth. For people who have EB and will be adding VM, please disconnect EB before updating VM to 1.01 version. Very important hint!
My steps were:
1. Upgrade Profilux -3 to latest firmware.
2. Install new PCL 5.04.02
3. Reset Vortech pumps and disconnect them from power supplies
4. Upgrade VM according the manual from GHL (follow all steps accordingly)
After VM upgrade be sure there is a stable connection between Profilux and VM via
PAB. . After this upgrade I had to assign VM to Profilux. This was very easy, please
Follow the manual instruction
5. Next step was: upgrading ES pump to a new 1.06 firmware.

Hint: Do not assign pumps to a Profilux before upgrading to a new firmware!

Please, read manual carefully before going into this step.. This step I did like 4 times
We only have 2 min to set up for this upgrade.
To make sure you pumps upgraded, please look at the PCL --Vortech overview screen
To see if firmware upgraded to 1.06. If this is done go for a last step.

6. Assign pumps. Also, be careful and if you follow all steps this would be quick and
Easy!
7. After all this you can program pump in all different mode and times.

Good luck!

PS. Matthias, if miss something ,please correct me .

I am stuck on Step 5 above. How do you upgrade the pumps to the 1.06 firmware?

Matthias
24.10.2010, 17:26
as explained in our manual

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System__E_/Support/download.php?did=111

you find all manuals and other downloads in our customer center

Rotknee
24.10.2010, 18:13
Thanks for posting the link above. That is exactly what I needed.:)

Rotknee
27.10.2010, 02:02
I've been playing with the new Vortech controller for a couple of days and I really like the flexibility of having the option of choosing several different operating modes. This was money well spent and I am sure my tank will benefit as a result. I do have a couple of questions:

1. How do you get the Vortech pumps to work with the native "Feed Pause" function of the P3?

2. It is now possible to monitor the speed and operation of Tunze pumps from the P3 display. How would I do that with the Vortech pumps?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Matthias
27.10.2010, 06:43
1. the "native feed pause" can only be used when the VorTech-controller is in "ProfiLux-controlled mode" - we are thinking about a firmware extension to make this working in the EcoTech-modes also
2. only in "ProfiLux-controlled mode" - because we don't know the actual speed when the pumps are in the EcoTech mode (they are running independently)

larryfl1
02.11.2010, 19:06
i just installed the module

the pab detected the device and added correctly but the software does not show the vortec module section....

software is 5.0.4.2 and firmware is 5.04

Matthias
04.11.2010, 08:07
you have to assign the PAB-devices again

Gobie74
11.11.2010, 00:09
I was having a hell of a time getting the updates to work last night until, in desperation to try anything new, I moved the PAB connection from one of my PAB Control Bars to the other and then all of a sudden everything just worked.

Later I noticed that the firmware of one of the Control Bars was 1.0 and the other was 1.0.1. Do you think this would cause the updates to fail?

Matthias
12.11.2010, 10:39
I would update the powerbars in any case - the new firmware supports current measurement

rostato
18.11.2010, 03:29
I finally got my vortech controller today, and when I go to update the controller interface it goes all the way to the end, and says "Error! Flashing aborted by the device or timeout occured!"

Any ideas? My vortech controller is connected directly to my powerbar PAB and has been assigned and shows up in profilux control.

I am showing...
Firmware VorTech Controller 1.04
Firmware Controller interface 4.7
Firmware rf module 1.02

I also get a no response when trying to assign the vortech to the vortech controller.

GHL Support
18.11.2010, 11:12
Are you sure about the firmware version in case of the VorTech Controller? The latest version is 1.01 not 1.04!
Is the firmware reportet at PAB information (ProfiLux-Menu->System->Configure PAB->PAB information) the same?
Did you accidently updated the VorTech Controller with the Powerbar PAB firmware?
During a PAB update there is only one PAB device allowed to be connected to the ProfiLux.

rostato
18.11.2010, 14:01
My Powerbar shows 1.04 at the system menu . But my vortech controller show 1.01...

I wish the instructions would say that only one PAB device can be connected during an update, because I am sure that will help! I will update when I get a chance to try it again.

rostato
18.11.2010, 15:42
OK, got it all set. Now just need to program my modes. Thanks! I really wish the directions said that only the PAB device being updated can be connected. That would have saved me a few hours of my life yesterday.

GHL Support
23.11.2010, 11:31
If you have read the messagebox in PLC before starting the PAB device update, you would have known this!