PDA

View Full Version : Pre-purchase Check

richard.mayo
06.10.2010, 06:06
Hi,

Im looking at getting a SMS Module for the tank but want to know the development plans for it, are there any?? Any new firmware on the horizon?

Is it something that you are continuing?

thanks

Matthias
06.10.2010, 07:07
the SMS unit is still a very popular device, I see no reason for not continuing it

boboxx
06.10.2010, 11:37
What are teh advantage of using the SMS modulal now that the P3 canbn send email nativly?

Most cellphone can receive email now days, and if not adding the data package will probably cost you just as much as having to buy and maintain a seperate GPRS SIM card (not counting the SMS modual) is it just me or I am missing the track here.... But who knows it might be different in NA compare to europe :)

richard.mayo
07.10.2010, 09:48
i dont even know how to work that email function on the Profilux, too confusing

Mathias-Steffen
07.10.2010, 10:07
@richard If you have questions about the mail functions, we will assist you - no problem. Just ask your question in a new thread please.

richard.mayo
07.10.2010, 10:53
@richard If you have questions about the mail functions, we will assist you - no problem. Just ask your question in a new thread please.

Thanks, just started one in the PC Program forum :) Thanks again

Mathias-Steffen
07.10.2010, 13:15
And you have already a reply ;)

@boboxx: Some clients like SMS, others mail. Especially people who don't have push mail like the fastness of direct sms information.

Matthias
12.10.2010, 07:47
boboxx, do you want to prevent sales of the SMS unit;)?

there is one big advantage of the SMS-unit:

the SMS unit is able to send a SMS in case of a power cut because there is a lithium-ion-battery in it!

ProfiLux 3 or your PC won't send you an email if your entire home is without electrical power!

boboxx
12.10.2010, 12:40
yes I try my best :P

No kiding aside, I see that the sms stil has a place for people using SMS and dont have a mean for notifing on power failure. I have a Blackberry connected to a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) that give me instant email and Power notifier comes from my UPS. My UPS (and generator) is setup to maintain a few recepticals in the house to with my tank, internet are connected.

Mathias-Steffen
13.10.2010, 13:33
If you want to get (more than) sure, just use both technologys... :)

richard.mayo
05.12.2010, 00:59
OK so just to confirm, the Profilux by itself has no way of sending an email if the power goes out??? So the Profilux dosnt have any internal power Supply.

Any question, does the SMS module have an alarm? I.e if i was asleep and the power went off, would the SMS module make any noise?

thanks

Blahenazo
05.12.2010, 08:16
if you want your P3 to send email when the power goes down you need to add it to a UPS ( don't forget to also add your router/cable modem to the ups)

But currently the P3 doesn't even 'know' that the power goes down, since its on a UPS it will never go down anymore. But as I said early the ups is not enough , it needs to have a 'power down' trigger.

PS: the sms module knows the Power goes down because the sms module has a battery.

I once wrote this thing about getting the P3 to detect power failures:
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?1741-power-outage-detector