PDA

View Full Version : Backup ProfiluxControl Settings and Sensor Data

richard.mayo
05.09.2010, 05:41
There are 2 options in ProfiluxControl under "File" and i was hoping that someone could tell me what they did

"Transmit all settings from Profiluix to file" and,
"Transmit all sensor data from Profilux to file"

I dont think that the descriptions of Timers and such are save???
Also can i save calibration data so i dont have to calibrate my probes everytime i upgrade?

Thanks

Mathias-Steffen
05.09.2010, 08:58
The Descriptions are saved in extra files, not in the Backup files of the PL, because they are not saved to the RAM of your PL. If you transmit all settings from PL, a connection is established, wich gets all configuration data from your PL and saves it to a backup file on your disk. Its useful too to clone PL settings from one to another PL.

richard.mayo
05.09.2010, 09:02
The Descriptions are saved in extra files, not in the Backup files of the PL, because they are not saved to the RAM of your PL. If you transmit all settings from PL, a connection is established, wich gets all configuration data from your PL and saves it to a backup file on your disk. Its useful too to clone PL settings from one to another PL.

This seems strange as when i backup my Profilux and then FW update it, i loose all my descriptions which causes problems, wouldnt it be better to backup the descriptions when you backup everything else???

And what about calibration data?

Mathias-Steffen
05.09.2010, 11:02
No, you don't loose your descriptions, because they are on your harddisk in a folder named after the serial of your PL.The serial doesnt change during updates, so you keep this information.

I am not sure about calibration data at the moment, normally ALL PL data is backuped - this should include calibration data, but i will find that out for you and get back to you.

richard.mayo
05.09.2010, 11:10
No, you don't loose your descriptions, because they are on your harddisk in a folder named after the serial of your PL.The serial doesnt change during updates, so you keep this information.

Oh i see thanks

I am not sure about calibration data at the moment, normally ALL PL data is backuped - this should include calibration data, but i will find that out for you and get back to you.

Looking forward to your reply

boboxx
05.09.2010, 13:06
The description files are here (windows7) : C:\Users\boboxx\AppData\Roaming\ProfiLuxControl... it's a pain to maintain if you have multiple computer accessing the controller, can’t wait to have it stored on the controller!

For the backup, you have to save all the setting and the sensor data to be able to do a full restore

Mathias-Steffen
05.09.2010, 13:09
As already written in another thread, its not planned to have the descriptions stored in the PL itself. We are sorry.

boboxx
05.09.2010, 13:17
What when did this change?? Matthias has been saying that it's commin, it's comming in version 5.0X and now you are saying that it's not planned! :|

richard.mayo
05.09.2010, 22:40
As already written in another thread, its not planned to have the descriptions stored in the PL itself. We are sorry.

Disappointing, considering that the description files are only 1KB each why cant they be???

The Profilux is one of the most complex computers available for aquariums so a "FULL" backup is critical, i would have thought this would have been a top priority

Mathias-Steffen
06.09.2010, 07:56
@richard: All calibration data should be included in your backup.

Like written above, its no problem to backup your descriptions, just copy the files in the folder boboxx named...

richard.mayo
06.09.2010, 10:21
just copy the files in the folder boboxx named...

The user really shouldnt have to go into system folders to make sure they get a full backup

Mathias-Steffen
06.09.2010, 10:31
It's a user folder, no system folder. But maybe we can add a "export descriptions" button to PLC6 for easier usage.

richard.mayo
06.09.2010, 10:33
"AppData" is a hidden folder, its not easily accessible.

I think adding it to PLC6 would be wicked :)

Thanks for looking into this for me