PDA

View Full Version : Died After Firmware Upgrade - Please Help

steviet
28.07.2010, 19:57
I have ProfiLuxPlusIIeX with firmware version 4.05.
I tried to upgrade the firmware (see thread http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?2600-Which-Firmware-Upgrade-for-Dosing-Pumps)
and the software has died, the Profilux is lit up and the display is correct but the Profilux Control version 4.0.81.0 no longer functions.

Its crashed and now nothing is working. I got an error message saying the firmware couldnt read and the update was abandoned.
All the options on the File menu are greyed out, only General and Email is there and it cant connect.

Please Help

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt274/stevetheraff/Firmwarecrashscreendump.jpg

BigAl07
28.07.2010, 20:03
Hang in there buddy! You'll get some help shortly as soon as someone comes through. Keep in mind we're dealing with a significant Time Zone gap.

It'll help your cause if you keep all of your information about this problem in one thread and not spread all over the forum. Much easier to help someone when it's all in one place.

Wirus
28.07.2010, 21:16
Read the manual you have - chapter 10.7 explains exactly the emergency update procedure.
If you dont have it anymore: http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Download/Manual_ProfiLuxII_V406.pdf -> page 66

Flash tool and firmware is here :http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System/Support/section.php?sid=5

In all cases you need a PC with serial port and the original GHL serial cable - others may fail!

steviet
28.07.2010, 21:24
I have read the manual, however my unit has the PLM-USB module so no serial cable. Will I have to purchase the serial cable? I understand its not a standard serial cable, is that correct?

Wirus
28.07.2010, 21:33
Will I have to purchase the serial cable?

Maybe not: Manual says:

If the aquarium computer already has firmware version 1.08 or higher then the update can also be performed
via the USB connection provided a PLM-USB expansion card is fitted. Using all earlier firmware versions an
update is possible only via the RS232 interface!

So check that.

I understand its not a standard serial cable, is that correct?

Yes, it´s a special one.

steviet
28.07.2010, 21:45
If the aquarium computer already has firmware version 1.08 or higher then the update can also be performed
via the USB connection provided a PLM-USB expansion card is fitted. Using all earlier firmware versions an
update is possible only via the RS232 interface!
I just re-read the manual again, I dont know how I missed that line.

Thanks for the link to the FMC16LX.

I assume everything should be disconnected from the unit ie the Power Bar, probes, obviously the power supply is needed.

boboxx
29.07.2010, 00:59
For the times I god a bad load, I usualy disconnect everything but it's not required

steviet
29.07.2010, 09:55
It dosnt work I get the error message "MCU;18H No001 Download Error" then after trying again "Error!! No003 Timeout error "

It seems to me that its no longer communicating with the profilux. I am connecting through the USB cable and running Windows Vista and have set the COM port to COM 1 in Device MAnager.

Am I doing something wrong? it seems to me the unit wont be flashed

Blahenazo
29.07.2010, 10:29
They only thing I can add to this discussion is that my Profilux 3 in my case, failed some upgrades more then ones (in the past) over usb.
Now I still do all my upgrades with serial and never missed one.

But I was always be able to recover within minutes by doing the manual flash with the flasher tool AND the usb-to-serial cable.
and the procedures you find on this forum.

steviet
29.07.2010, 10:49
OK, I connected with a GHL genuine serial cable to my notebook (desktop PC dosnt have a serial port) and the update continues for 90% progress but still fails with the MCU 18H error.
If I try download again without removing and reconnecting the power to the unit I get an error code MCU:32H

Blahenazo
29.07.2010, 10:54
and your flashing with the flasher tool right ?

if that is the case , GHL folks will need to help , because I'm out of options.

steviet
29.07.2010, 10:57
Yes I'm flashing with FMC16LX as told. I think the EPROM has failed

steviet
29.07.2010, 13:38
I have a completely dead Profilux unit for a day now, the display is lit but there is nothing in the display therefore its controlling nothing.

For now I can control the lighting but the heating and dosing is a problem, temperature has already been fluctuating + 2.0 degrees. I really dont want to lose any livestock because of this

boboxx
29.07.2010, 14:46
not sure what reagion you are in but if you could find a peorson to give you a hand doing the flash upgarde it would get you back on track...

what are you selecting for the chip type in FMC16LX?

steviet
29.07.2010, 14:57
That was a good question, I was leaving the target Microcontroller as the default in the FMC16LX, it was MB90F562/B, after I selected MB90F867 the download completed and the unit has normal display.

THANK YOU

steviet
29.07.2010, 15:58
Ok heres an update,
it wasnt flashing successfully because I didnt select the correct chipset
I restored the firmware to v4.05 and it was working
I upgraded the firmware to v5.00p and the PLC to v5 and its working except it wouldnt connect
I checked the RS845 box and it connects

So everything is now working except the reason for starting out on this escapade in the first place. ie I wanted to control the new dosing pumps that are still in their box for the last 3 days, the old firmware had limited options for the dosing pumps, in the new V5 I cant find any menu for dosing pumps, but I will start a new thread about that.

Thank you everyone that tried helping me, especially boboxx, thanks mate

boboxx
29.07.2010, 17:08
NP, I know it was something simple... the new dosing pumps are controled by timers in version 5 :P

steviet
29.07.2010, 17:21
Yeh, I got them now, its only when you select auto dosing that the options to determine how many per day and how much in total appears

Is it worth upgrading firmware to 5.02g before I enter all my settings again?

Wirus
29.07.2010, 17:46
Congratulations. In future you read the advices twice before you start, I hope ...

Is it worth upgrading firmware to 5.02g before I enter all my settings again?

Normally you can save and restore settings. Only between 4 an 5 there is a break, not in between 5er series.
Is it worth? Dont know., but most changes only have effect to PL3
Study the firmware history (link below) and decide, if the additional functions are worth to risk the trouble you already had.

My opinion is you should give your tank a little time to regenerate, even if 5.03 is coming soon (announced for release in a few days)

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/System/Support/dnd_normal/Firmwarehistory_ENG.txt

Blahenazo
29.07.2010, 17:50
That's why it's auto :) , it will auto dose the amount you set :)

in version 5.xx ( as in 4.xx) you can store all the settings to a file and import them again after the FW upgrade.
you just can't import 4.xx setting into 5.xx

as of 'stableness' you can go to 5.02 (although its beta) you can upgrade without worries.

BigAl07
29.07.2010, 18:02
I went to the latest version and am glad I did. I really like the new look a lot!

Keep in mind I'm still only running some basic programs (no dosing etc) so I don't need any of the new features (and most of them don't apply to my PII+ anyway).

I do think the new version "feels" better and has a better look to it. YMMV though. . .

boboxx
29.07.2010, 18:08
I would go to a v5. it wont be that much trouble now that you know how to do the upgrade and you just have to figure out how to do things once in you setting. You will also be able to keep you configureation.