PDA

View Full Version : SMS module firmware upgrade problem

Spain
19.06.2010, 21:05
Hi, I have had problems recently with my SMS module, although it works every so often the status light will start to blink indicating a hardware problem (according to the manual). I have tried to upgrade the firmware to 1.03 but the upgrade always fails. I select the correct HEX file, click full operation DEBP, all starts correctly as per the firmware update instructions until I receive an error as dispalyed in the dialogue box...

2/7 retry = 256 Wait Asynchronous Dial-UP

ERROR!!
No.001 Download error

After clicking OK it requests I do download operation again, of which I do only to receive the same error. I have also tried going to version 2 but the same problem as above occurs...

Any ideas?

Regards

Matthias
20.06.2010, 08:54
you have to click "full operation" and not "download"

if you followed the instructions and the upgrade still doesn't work then it is maybe a problem with the RS232 interface
are the settings correct? maybe you are using an USB-RS232 converter which causes trouble?

Spain
20.06.2010, 12:32
Thanks Mattias - I am indeed using a USB interface...I'll see if Ican use a straight Comms port and try again, not sure if I have one. Is there any way around this if I have to use USB?

...thankyou for the reply

Spain
20.06.2010, 20:33
I have now managed to upgrade to v2, however ever since the upgrade, the status light on the unit has just constantly blinked...it then remains fully lit for 5 seconds, all lights on the unit go off and then it starts to reboot (by the looks of it). I reflashed the unit and loaded V2 on again, no errors...all went as the instructions would suggest..

Any ideas?

Spain
21.06.2010, 18:29
The status light on my SMS module since the upgrade to V2 blinks four times...goes off and blinks four times.....and repeats....
It on occassion blinks repeatedly every .5 of a second

It would appear I have a hardware fault.

Could GHL advise on where I can send the unit for repair ASAP as its integral to my system

Coralleida
22.06.2010, 00:20
Are you from Spain? I suppose so
Contact me, please

Spain
22.06.2010, 07:48
Thanks for the reply. I am resident in the UK, my surname is Spain..thats all :)

Coralleida
22.06.2010, 17:14
OK, don't worry ;-)

Matthias
22.06.2010, 17:16
The status light on my SMS module since the upgrade to V2 blinks four times...goes off and blinks four times.....and repeats....
It on occassion blinks repeatedly every .5 of a second

It would appear I have a hardware fault.

Could GHL advise on where I can send the unit for repair ASAP as its integral to my system

I am not sure if it has to been repaired
the hardware worked (at least there ws no blinkcode) till the firmware update, so I guess the firmware update was not completed correctly and this leads to the current error
please try to update it again, maybe the converter made trouble, a native RS232 would be the best choice, or the settings in the flasher program were not 100% correct

Spain
22.06.2010, 19:11
Hi Matthias,

Many thanks for your response.

Troubleshooting conducted so far...

Using a straightforward Com connection to PC/view connection of SMS
module...

*Checked / triple checked flasher program settings...all good
*Reflashed to 1.03...constant blinking status light....
*Reflashed to 2.00...constant blinking status light....
*Tried to access unit via Profilux control software....could not access unit
*Ejected SIM card....status light starting to blink less...now blinks 4 times consecutively goes off and now blinks 4 times and repeats etc......sim card light repeatedly blinks due to no sim card being present...however I can now access the unit via the profilux control software?!
Reseat the SIM card........Status light starts to constantly blink....SIM card light starts to blink once every 3 seconds.....status light still constantly blinking
Can no longer access the unit via the Profilux control software.....

So I can access the unit without the SIM card being seated...however the status light never remains solid

Is there anything else youcould suggest

Many thanks

Spain
23.06.2010, 22:16
Not sure of the relevance...

Tried another reflash this evening...

When pressing D+E+B+P...when it gets to erasing it appears to have to erase /37 options......it gets to 7/37 options...the flasher software screen flashes and it jumps to the next stage and then "ends normally"

Does it need to erase 37/37 options before moving to the "next stage" and executing other aspects of the program properly?

Matthias
24.06.2010, 07:20
what Profilux are we talking about, which firmware does it have?

Spain
24.06.2010, 07:52
Hi I am talking about my SMS module on version 2
My Profilux 2 plus computer is on 4.05

Is there anything else you could suggest to get my SMS module up and running? If not I am keen to try and send it for repair ASAP

Spain
24.06.2010, 17:37
Can Profilux send me SMS v1 firmware so that I can try and restore to a previous good known version?

Failing that I really need the unit up and functioning...hence my wish to send it for repair...or for GHL to give an opinion on whats wrong?

Matthias
24.06.2010, 18:02
Hi

I really have no idea what is going on.
You tried it also with 1.03? 1.03 is OK for firmware 4.xx, you don't need 2.xx for your ProfiLux

If this didn't help - do you want to try it with ProfiLux firmware 5.00 and SMS firmware 2.00?

Spain
24.06.2010, 22:45
Hi Matthias,

Thanks for the response

Upgraded Profilux firmware to 5:00, still the SMS unit behaves as previously suggested.

Surely if the status light is blinking 4 times...going off and repeating this indicates an error code. I could be wrong but I thought that the manual suggested 4 blinks for a hardware fault.

Is there no additional flasher software you can send me to erase entirely the current version of firmware and start again?

Appreciate the difficulties of troubleshooting the device remotely, but I bought the SMS unit entirely to be kept up to date with the parameters of my display tank which is obviously not able to happen currently.

Can I send the unit back to Germany for some sort of evaluation. As previously suggested the unit is integral to my system and I dont really want to be without it

Regards

Matthias
25.06.2010, 07:19
PM sent for further support

Matthias
25.06.2010, 07:54
Hi

I read the instructions of the SMS-unit:
ยท 4x Flash: No (valid) SIM-card present

maybe you have just a problem with your SIM-card? or the settings (e.g. PIN) are wrong? can you try another one?

dipan
07.06.2011, 06:08
Has this been solved? I am having the same exact issue with updating SMS module. Using a USB to serial converter that works fine updating P3ex.

Matthias
07.06.2011, 11:16
What is your problem exactly?

dipan
07.06.2011, 17:27
Exactly the same problem as the original poster. When trying to flash the version 2 or 3 firmware to the SMS module per the instructions, I get the exact same error:

ERROR!!
No.001 Download error

Matthias
08.06.2011, 07:43
please follow exactly the instructions

most popular errors:
- user clicks "download" instead of "full operation"
- do correct sequence: first switch SMS module off, then click "full operation", then switch on
- chose correct settings (controller, COM)

dipan
14.06.2011, 15:16
please follow exactly the instructions

most popular errors:
- user clicks "download" instead of "full operation"
- do correct sequence: first switch SMS module off, then click "full operation", then switch on
- chose correct settings (controller, COM)

Thanks Matthias ...

I did use the proper procedure as you describe, and as is also mentioned in the SMS firmware update PDF on the website. I will re-attempt later todat and document each step so that you may be able to better tell me if there is something else I am doing wrong.

dipan
16.06.2011, 22:42
Switch off sms module

Connect sms to pc via usb to serial adapter via PC/View port and COM3 on latest Prolific driver.

Run FMC16FX flash app choose ProfiLuxSMS_V301_boot.mhx downloaded from GHL

Target Microcontroller - MB96F356A/R/Y 4MHz & COM3 selected

Select "Full Operation",switch on sms module

dipan
16.06.2011, 22:47
Switch off sms module, no SIM in module.

Connect sms to pc using usb to serial adapter via PC/View port and COM3 on latest Prolific driver

Run FMC16FX flash app choose ProfiLuxSMS_V301_boot.mhx downloaded from GHL

Target Microcontroller - MB96F356A/R/Y 4MHz & COM3 selected

Select "Full Operation", select OK, then switch on sms module

2/7 retry=256 wait asynchronous dialup
ERROR!! No.001 Download error

No options now except OK

Hopefully we can get this working ... Dipan

GHL Support
17.06.2011, 10:41
You have to make sure the com port of your adapter is really com3. Could you post a screen shot of the device manager com port entries?