PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Connecting Via WLAN Profilux EX Plus II, fw v3.08

Oldtimer
05.06.2010, 18:34
Firstly, I will note that my reef setup is in the basement and my wireless router is 2 floors above. I get a strong wireless signal in the basement, but I just wanted to note this before you read on...

Since my desktop is the only PC in my house with a serial port, I took it from upstairs and connected it to the Profilux in the basement in order to save all my settings from the Profilux prior to unplugging the unit to install the WLAN card. (And it was a wise choice as I lost all settings again when power was disconnected from the Profilux... I will install a newer firmware in the future as previously advised by Matthias).

I have confirmed that the WLAN card is properly installed as it is recognized by the control software on my desktop PC via the serial connection. Important Note: I do not have an internet connection to my desktop now since I don't have a long enough Ethernet cable to reach to the router on the second above ground floor.

I connected to my wireless router on 192.168.1.1 and changed static DNS 1 setting to 192.168.1.105

I have a Linksys Wireless-N Router with DHCP enabled and using IP address range 192.168.1.100 to 149

I have a laptop which is wirelessly connected to the network and therefore should be able to see the Profilux via WLAN. I have also installed Profilux Control software on the laptop.

Via the Desktop (again connected via serial cable to the Profilux) I created a new connection for the WLAN and entered 192.168.1.105 as the host name and left the port as 10001. I clicked save and exited the program. I never saw any confirmation that the settings were properly stored and each time I reopen the connection window, it refers back to the default values so I am only assuming that it worked properly.

Now, if I try to connect to the device by using the Profiluxcontrol stored on my laptop and choosing the connection that I created for the WLAN, it does not connect. Also, I'm not able to find the device by typing 192.168.1.105 into my web browser.

It seems logical to me that although I'm storing the settings via the desktop computer and serial cable, I should still be able to connect via the wireless laptop since the connection settings are the same. If there is a good reason why this will not work, please advise before I take the time to relocate my router such that my desktop can be plugged in directly via Ethernet cable.

However, I'm not convinced that is the problem. Please help. I am not a network or software expert. Thanks,

Andy

fletch
05.06.2010, 23:21
There is a guide at the end of this movie that may help

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?client=mv-google&v=BAqi-tszty8

Oldtimer
06.06.2010, 03:06
Perhaps the link is not what you intended because I see multiple movies on the link, but nothing that looks related. Appreciate the help.

fletch
06.06.2010, 15:25
Perhaps the link is not what you intended because I see multiple movies on the link, but nothing that looks related. Appreciate the help.

WLAN instillation would be the relevant movie

Oldtimer
08.06.2010, 03:11
I found this link... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAqi-tszty8 and it was very helpful although I could not connect at the end. If it matters, my security is WPA2 Personal and picked WPA2 when I setup the WLAN card.

I had to reset my router to get wireless working again and now my wireless internet connection is running painfully slow. I don't understand what happened, but so far I've only caused problems and got nowhere. I'd really appreciate some more input. Thanks!

Matthias
08.06.2010, 07:35
I tested this here again on our system, it worked immediately after the first try

1. use ProfiLuxControl to enter the SSID, use infrastructure, static IP
2. disable security settings in your WLAN router (access point, etc.)
3. go to Lantronix configuration page, do these settings: (of course according to your SSID and your passphrase)
4. now do the corresponding settings in your router

maybe some useful hints:
- use WPA2 and not a combo mode
- static IP is better than dynamic IP
- there is a difference between passphrase and hex

that's it - is working great, no problems

Oldtimer
08.06.2010, 12:48
Thanks Matthias. I will try it again today after work, but I first have to call Linksys and figure out why my wireless connection is hardly working now. Actually, I tried to reset the router again because of the slow speed and now it is not even producing a wireless connection any more.

Oldtimer
09.06.2010, 02:55
OK. I just spent over 2 hours on the phone with a tech from Linksys (maker of my router). They were able to restore my wireless connection. And we eventually were able to get connected to the WLAN in the Profilux Controller, but there are still two problems:

1.) I can only connect Profilux Control via the WLAN when network security is disabled. We tried every available type of security setting on the router and the WLAN card and nothing works.

2.) The WLAN card appears to be consuming massive amounts of bandwidth even when I'm not connected via Profilux Control. The Linksys tech was able to see lots of packets transmitting once the WLAN card was connected to the network. It is consequently slowing my network down to a snail’s pace. I'm currently unprotected in order to gain a little more bandwidth in order to send this message!

Linksys would like to resolve this, but would like to know if there is a preferred method of security encryption and if there are any known issues similar to this. Please help. Thanks!

Oldtimer
09.06.2010, 02:58
Also, it's worth nothing that I upgraded the firmware of the controller and the level of Profilux Control to v4.08 a few days ago.

Matthias
09.06.2010, 07:22
I have no idea what to recommend further, maybe both devices are not compatible or there is still a problem with your settings

we use WPA2 and WEP without problems

if you can't solve this problem then please contact your retailer, the retailer should contact GHL to discuss the next steps