PDA

View Full Version : PIIIex USB Firmware Update

Maverick38
09.05.2010, 18:51
Hello,

I tried to update my PIIIex.
It failed but without impacting the use of the PIII (ouf!)

First Question :
The PIIIex shows a firmware version 5.001 when it boots is this the latest one ? (I have read in the forum that the firmware "5" is the latest...)

Here is my report :

As a preliminary I have updated the USB Prolific driver (there is "PL" written on the USB card chip) as I am not fully satisfied of the USB connection reliability:
Reason of malfunction : I need to unplug the PIII any time I want to access it via USB before launching "Connect" under Profilux controller, otherwise connection is timed out.
Nothing has changed after updating to the latest USB driver, I still need to unplug the USB from PIII and replug it back before "Connect".
Is this normal ? Am I the only one to experience this ?

First attempt with the Profilux controller v11
All is fine until the profilux controller starts "Download" and then nothing happens the progress bar is then timed out with the message on the PC : "error while transmitting firmware Flashserver noresponse : 8"
And on the PIII nothing happens until time out "Download aborted".
I have not tried again too happy it did not kill my PIII.

Second attempt with the flash programmer :
I followed the indications of Mathias :

1. download http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Download/Flash-FR.zip
2. save it somewhere you will find it, no installation required
3. start "flash.exe"
4. select "MB91F467D" as controller, 4MHz, navigate to the firmware file (click "open")
5. check the interface (under "set environment")
6. disconnect ProfiLux 3 from power (it is not necessary to open the enclosure and to set a jumper like it was ProfiLux II!)
7. now click "full operation" - ProfiLux still has no power!
8. plug in the DC-connector - ProfiLux has now power again and the download should start

but the program at stage 8 did not start anything although I have tried to be quick enough to power up the PIII right after I click on the "Full operation"...

I still have my PIIIex working with the old firmware and I am glad it did not kill anything ^^
Although I would be glad to find a way to do a firmware update ...

Any idea more than welcom 8-)

Aquaristic regards,

Mav'

Matthias
10.05.2010, 08:03
The PIIIex shows a firmware version 5.001
this is not a valid firmware version number, the newest ist 5.01b
please try the newest firmware and ProfiLuxControl from our download site

I still need to unplug the USB from PIII and replug it back before "Connect".
Is this normal ? Am I the only one to experience this ?

this is definetely not normal!
first update to the newest software, if the issue does not disappear we should go from there

but the program at stage 8 did not start anything although I have tried to be quick enough to power up the PIII right after I click on the "Full operation"...
you have enough time after "clicking full operation" to power up the device
the update with the flasher tool works only over serial cable

Maverick38
10.05.2010, 22:15
Hello,

I have updated the prolific again and it seems that the USB behavior was OK.
With the Profilux controller v12.

From this success I tried to update the firmware but the controller produced the same error as yesterday : "error while transmitting firmware Flasherase no response : 8"

Then the profilux blocked on the Downloading screen but it did not time out this time !
So I had to unplug it after a long time...
and now it just does not boot... Shall I do a reset with the jumper ?

Kind regards,

Mav'

GHL Support
11.05.2010, 07:43
Did you try the update on the ProfiLux RS232 port? The flash-FR Software only supports this connection.
Either direct via a serial com port (with ProfiLux-Ser) or via an USB adapter.

Maverick38
13.05.2010, 22:32
Yes and it worked after looking for a PC with RS232... too bad it does not work -yet ^^?- with USB .
The process described in :
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1274
worked OK with the RS232.

Now the PIIIex is uptodate to 5.00q -let s see before trying the beta..-^^

Many thanks for your help,

Mav'

Ken Good
14.05.2010, 22:08
Did you try unplugging the powerbar before attempting the USB to USB? This issue has been described in the following topic: http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2000

Maverick38
17.05.2010, 16:09
Hello,

yes, all sensors including the pumps and the PAB powerbar were removed when it crashed.

Mav'