PDA

View Full Version : Conductivity to Specific Gravity

beschwartz
04.04.2009, 22:52
Question: Does anyone have 1) a detailed conversion chart using conductivity as it relates to salinity as it relates to specific gravity and 2) is it possible within the Profilux program to change the reading (mS) to one that reads specific gravity? (Can't help it...old ways of thinking about "salty water" measurements dies hard) :rolleyes:

chippypah
05.04.2009, 21:01
Tick the box on bottom of coductivity screen, and you can change it to sg.
Cheers
Pete

beschwartz
06.04.2009, 18:52
Thanks, it worked! :D

chippypah
06.04.2009, 22:04
Great
Cheers
Pete

webster1234
29.01.2013, 15:57
I was wondering this same thing. The tick on the bottom of my conductivity screen changes the measurement to "density." That isn't the same measurement as "specific gravity is it"? According to the table in another post http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?5025-conductivity-question-strange-thing&highlight=conductivity, they are slightly different measurements. Is the tick at the bottom measuring density or sg? Thanks

webster1234
29.01.2013, 23:59
Ok, maybe I answered my own question. It looks like the only difference is the placement of the decimal. The chart on the page referenced above however shows the values to be slightly different.

d2mini
03.02.2013, 15:22
I've heard that there is no real standard for conversion.
For example, the Profilux conversion returns a much lower density reading than the calculator at this link...
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/SalinityConversion.php

This calculator is right in line with my calibrated refractometer. My current reading using the refractometer and inputting the Profilux mS reading into the calculator both return a value of around 1.0246, but the Profilux converts to a density of 1.0229

I wish there was more proof than GHL's word of which is more accurate.

Matthias
12.02.2013, 10:45
yes, there is no real standard conversion

it depends on the salt mixture, every mixture of different ions needs another calculation

so most online-calculators and aquarium controllers show different values

we tried to have a conversion based on an "average water"

but as already said. you can adjust the reading in ProfiLux (offset)