PDA

View Full Version : Geiseman GHL upgrade

Chew
30.04.2010, 21:06
Thought I'd share my days work (well a couple of hours) with you guys since its GHL related. I've converted my Geisemann light unit to dimmable T5 ballasts that I can now control with my GHL.

I first stripped one side of the unit down and found it all looked fairly simple.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Chew_026/DSC03061.jpg

Gave the existing Phillips ballast a tweak and it was just stuck to the inside of the case with some blobs of silicone and came away with some gentle pressure.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Chew_026/DSC03062.jpg

So I stripped both ballasts and wiring out of both sides. I removed one of the 3 power leads as this was no longer needed. The remaining wiring is for the halide, the power lead that will be connected to the new ballasts and the control lead for the GHL which takes the place of the removed lead. I had to remove the lamp holders too but these will be re-clipped in place later when wired back up.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Chew_026/DSC03063.jpg

Stuck the new ballasts in exactly the same way as the old ones with a couple of blobs of silicone and then left it for a few hours to go off enough to start wiring.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Chew_026/DSC03065.jpg

All wired back up including the EVG-AP-2F. Most of the wiring was reused just had to add a few new bits as the wiring for the new ballasts was slightly different and also had to add some extra earth straps for EVG.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Chew_026/DSC03066.jpg

All back together and tested working perfectly. Quick wipe down and it was back over the tank and sat playing with cloud simulations etc :D

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm12/Chew_026/DSC03067.jpg

Matthias
01.05.2010, 10:03
thanks - a great job

I think these detailled instructions will make it very easy for everone to convert a lamp to dimmable (and GHL compatible)

M007
02.05.2010, 16:12
Nice retrofit. What make and model of the ballast you installed?

Chew
02.05.2010, 16:59
They are Helvar EL2x24s ballasts. Wiring for them is slightly different to the original Philips ones which is why I stripped all the wiring out and re-wired the new ones completely.

Little video of them dimming. Tubes are all ATI and are 2 super blue, one actinic and one pro colour. Halide is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-s7gpGSoxQ

Andyos
14.05.2010, 13:44
I've just done a very similar thing with my AquaMedic AquaSunlight NG - I added a second ballast (Osram Dali Dimmable) to make it 4x54W instead of 2x54W and changed the original ballast for another Dali dimmable ballast....I just need to buy the Dali module for the GHL now! If anyone want's to know how to do it I have a thread on Ultimate Reef in the DIY section :) Cheers, Andy

chrisrush
18.05.2010, 04:35
Hi Chew. Where did you get the Helvar ballasts? Are they only avail in the UK? I am looking at adding 4 x 24w T5s to my PowerModule when I upgrade tanks.

Chew
18.05.2010, 12:06
I got them through a friend who is an electrician so I'm not sure on the exact supplier. I'll ask him!

Helvar are sold in quite a few European countries though. Here are a list of their sales offices and contact details. http://www.helvar.com/default.asp?path=3389&lan=EN&iDLParam=0

chrisrush
19.05.2010, 03:22
Thanks for the info. I wonder if they are sold in the US? Although I'll be in Hungary next week, so maybe I'll try and pick up some when I'm there, but the voltage may not work for US. :(

I got them through a friend who is an electrician so I'm not sure on the exact supplier. I'll ask him!

Helvar are sold in quite a few European countries though. Here are a list of their sales offices and contact details. http://www.helvar.com/default.asp?path=3389&lan=EN&iDLParam=0

Chew
19.05.2010, 22:50
Just looked at the datasheet for them and they only accept 220-240v so they won't work in the US I'm afraid.

I know there have been a few people struggling before with getting hold of any dimmable ballasts except 54w ones for the US. GHL don't supply them as they can't get hold of them I believe.

Himat
26.05.2010, 22:18
hi
chew

great post, i have the same infinity which i had custom ordered from Geisemann, with dimmable ballast. I like the way you have fitted the EVG-AP-2F. I had to fit mine in a external box.

The pictures you have posted will help me to upgarde my 150w to a 250w halide external dimmable.

will consider mounting EVG-AP-2F in side the unit.

thanks

great job

Chew
26.05.2010, 22:43
Hi, glad its of some use!

The EVG is actually floating and isn't touching any of the metal of the case at all. If I had screwn it to the case I would have had to insulate the bottom of it some how to be on the safe side. Instead its cable tied to the bundles of wires so it can move around slightly but not enough to touch any of the case.

Interesting idea you have for swapping the halide gear tray out for an external ballast. Its something I have thought about but have so far been unable to find a suitable dimmable ballast that the GHL could control. Do you have one in mind already?? Just in case you don't know the gear tray is the brown thing in the centre section at the oposite end to where the wires enter the unit. You'll find the power for it passes through one of the side sections underneath the T5 reflector in order that the wires don't have to pass near the halide bulb itself.

One thing that does spring to mind is how do you intend on changing the lamp holders for the halide as 150 and 250w bulb use different sized holders? You would also likely need to change the reflector also. Geisemann may be able to supply 250w parts? I wouldn't have this issue as my halide is already the 250w model.

Himat
26.05.2010, 22:53
hi
chew
I have ordered the holders and have the ballast,

this weekend i would like to get this done,

As for the reflector I had emailed Geismann.de direct and asked for a price and if the reflector was the same, the reply was the reflector was identical for 150w and 250w. the parts are available.

Himat

Chew
27.05.2010, 09:35
Sounds like you have a plan! :D Make sure you take some pics I'd be interested to see the outcome.

What make and model of ballast do you have?

Himat
31.05.2010, 21:10
hi
did this 150w to 250w upgrade
the ballast is manual dimmable marine lux 250 ( not dimmable by GHL )
( this is my first time posting pics)

150w showing ballast on one side.

the plate shown needs to be removed to allow gear tray to be removed.

all the 150 gear removed

250w holder mounted on the tray (need to provide four bolts of correct length and thread. hole for this pre threaded as this plate is the same for 150w/250w

reflecta replaced and all re inserted (the reflecta is the same for 150w/250w)

all this needs doing with care (installing the cable from new ballast in to the light fixing and connecting to the lamp holder wires . ( needs some diy skill )

Chew
31.05.2010, 22:11
Nice work! :)

I'm on the hunt for a ballast thats dimmable by the GHL but as of yet I've been unable to find one!

sprooker
16.12.2010, 12:38
Nice work and excellent post. Chew mentioned in his first post

I removed one of the 3 power leads as this was no longer needed. The remaining wiring is for the halide, the power lead that will be connected to the new ballasts and the control lead for the GHL which takes the place of the removed lead

Does this mean that the 2 pairs of T5 tubes/ballasts are now linked and cannot be dimmed independently ? Or can each pair ot T5's still be dimmed independently ?

Chew
17.12.2010, 22:05
No they can be dimmed seperately. As the switching and dimming is done by the EVG, the single power cord goes to that and then that powers the balasts seperately depending on the control signals from the GHL.

sprooker
21.12.2010, 13:35
Thanks Chew.

Have you thought about adding a Simu-spot or Simu-L to your Giesemann Infiniti ? Dues to some shipping issues with a 1200mm Infiniti, I have now changed my order to 2 x 600mm Giesemann Infiniti units (150w halide + 4 x 24w T5). I do not have these Giesemann's in my possesion yet, but I am guessing that you may be able to neatly build in a Simu-spot into the Giesemann (next to the metal halide), or alternatively it may be possible to mount a Simu-L onto one of the sides of the side of the Giesemann unit. The Simu-L is 55cm long, so the same length as the 24w T5's.

Chew
22.12.2010, 09:42
I have thought about it and I have a simu-L sat waiting for me to for me to do it. However I don't want it too close to the halide as the 250w get insanely hot. What I intend to do is strip it out of its tube and attach it to the centre of the reflector on one side of the unit so it shines between the T5s. That way it will not be hanging down below the unit and will be well away from the halide heat.

I did consider a simu-spot but on a single halide unit it would be out to the side and so I decided it would either need 2 or look stupid. You'd also need to attach it to the bottom of the unit some how and that would require drilling the unit which I wasn't kean on doing.

sprooker
23.12.2010, 12:48
Attaching the Simu-L on the reflector between a pair of T5's is an interesting way to do it. I would have thought strapping it to the rear side (ie lengthways) of the unit was the way to go.

Is there any reason why you went with 1-10v ballasts rather than Dali ballasts ? I guess in your case it works out about 20 Euros less expense. Any other reasons ?

Chew
23.12.2010, 17:46
The simu-L would be so close to the halide though....don't think it would last long. That and it would mean drilling the unit to mount it.

I went for 1-10v for a few reasons, the ballasts are cheaper and also I had a spare L port on the GHL already so didn't need to buy a DALI card for it which would again have cost more.

sprooker
29.12.2010, 03:12
I am not sure if I made myself clear in my last post. My suggestion was to strap the Simu-L onto one of the 600mm sides of the Giesemann. I am talking about the angled sides of the Infiniti unit that have the word 'Giesemann' written on them. Perhaps a neat silicon mount is possible ?