PDA

View Full Version : Chiller Control

marios
26.04.2010, 15:07
Could turning on and off of the Chiller by the computer cause any problem at the chiller itself? I am using a TECO TR20 with the temp setting calibrated to match the temp reading from GHL and the setting 1C less so whenever it switches on the plug the chiller would kick in within a few seconds.

Matthias
27.04.2010, 08:27
I don't know it - better you ask TECO this question

Paul
05.05.2010, 23:52
I asked a similar question of D&D, I have a Deltec Dc-750 Cooler

Message response below, that I'd like to share:-
Paul
I do not run my own cooler through my computer but David Saxby does.
If you power off and power on the cooler I do not know what the long term effect of this would be to the controller however David does it anyway.

You need to set the cooler to a lower temperature - say 25C and the computer at 25.5C so that it will always come on. Do not set the on/off temperature difference to less than 0.5C or the cooler will be switching off and on too often and that will definitely shorten the life.

I hope this helps
Regards
Stuart

Stuart Bertram BSc Hons
Sales Director

D-D The Aquarium Solution Ltd

fletch
06.05.2010, 17:13
I used to have a Hailea chiller that lasted all of a week... so I bought a Teco instead.

I bought the Hailea because I saw it could be modified to use an external probe.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=249907

Unforntuatly the Teco TC10 I have isnt very accurate and I have recently requested the wiring diagram, but am too busy to look at it, please let me know if you have any luck.

See attached.

fletch
06.05.2010, 17:21
I used to have a Hailea chiller that lasted all of a week... so I bought a Teco instead.

I bought the Hailea because I saw it could be modified to use an external probe.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=249907

Unforntuatly the Teco TC10 I have isnt very accurate and I have recently requested the wiring diagram, but am too busy to look at it, please let me know if you have any luck.

See attached.

Also noteworthy is the fact that simply turning it on and off at the switch may be ineffective, this is due to the fact these units work like fridges, it takes time to charge up and become cold, probably using far more energy than usual (these arent cheap to run). I am sure I hear the compressor running even when the chiller is not required...