PDA

View Full Version : 5.0.1 update killed profilux III

macfishy
19.04.2010, 20:27
I updated to the 5.0.1, while updating the unit locked up forcing me to restart it by unplugging it and plugging it back in. Once plugged back in the unit will not turn on. It appears to be totally dead.

I'm currently without a controller so I'm having to control everything by hand. How can I address this problem. Its the first time I ever seen a software update knock out a unit. Any help would be appreciated.

Himat
19.04.2010, 23:05
you need to use flasher program from the downloads sites
and seach info on how to do it , its done by many users on here.

himat

Himat
19.04.2010, 23:09
check this out should have you up and running
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1274

Himat

macfishy
20.04.2010, 00:47
thanks for the help

I tried the thread instructions with no luck, I got the same results as the individual in the thread. I tried everything with the exception of using a jumper since I do not have one. I will have to try again tomorrow. My computer does not have an RS232 port so if I can't get the USB port to work then I'm at a lost for words what to do.

Major setback for an aquarium needing controlling. But I guess its all part of the hobby.

PaxRoma
20.04.2010, 04:02
buy a USB-RS232 converter so you can use the USB port from your computer.

Gobie74
20.04.2010, 12:40
Maybe a work computer or a friend's computer has a serial port? I had to bring mine to work when a similar thing happened. ( have since learned to unplug the PAB devices before updating the firmware )

macfishy
20.04.2010, 15:29
I tried the jumper with no luck, purchased and tried the USB to 9pin adaptor, again no luck, always get "unable to open com port."

I brought box into work and tried again with another computer with exact same results using different engineers as well.

Whats my next step, any ideas? My wife controlling the lights while I'm at work will only last so long. LOL

Due to the importance of the problem and the fix not being as fast as need I did purchase another Profilux III. In the event this unit gets fixed I will have a backup cause it will probably happen again and I can't afford down time.

Himat
20.04.2010, 17:50
macfishy

it is very important that you use the lead supplied by ghl for the rs232 as a normal lead will damage the profilux.

usb to 232 adaptor is a must

make sure you usb on computer/laptop com port sees the profilux using adaptor with correct usb drivers on your laptop.

Gobie74
21.04.2010, 02:33
I just tried updating to 5.0.1a with the PAB disconnected like was previously recommended and it failed to update. This was over USB. Guess I'll have to bring the controller to work again to update it with the RS232 cable.

Won't be doing this again until there's a REALLY good reason to update the firmware.

macfishy
21.04.2010, 03:07
Who can I send this to and have the software updated? I don't care what it costs. I will pay for overnight shipping both directions if that will speed things up.

GHL Support
21.04.2010, 07:06
The jumper pins on the ProfiLux 3 is for a reset. If you set a jumper the ProfiLux permanently stays in reset state!

Recovering the firmware with "Flash-FR" is possible only via ProfiLux RS232 port (direct over ProfiLux-ser or with an USB to serial adapter) as menioned in
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1274

"Error No.006 Unable to open com port" occures if your COM port is used by an other application (maybe ProfiLuxControl still open) or doesn't exist (wrong COM port selected in "Set Environment").

macfishy
21.04.2010, 14:18
After reading your statement and re-reading the instructions again. I finally figured out the step that started the process. I have the system up and running. My problem in not totally understanding the instructions that make sense LOL

On another note, I would like to add that support rocks and the system rocks as well. I spent thousands on the neptune system and apex systems that were so unreliable i could not trust anything with the system, especially pumps.

I have yet to have a problem with the ProfiLux, its proven to be reliable and fun at the same time. thanks again _macfishy

Blahenazo
21.04.2010, 18:57
After reading your statement and re-reading the instructions again. I finally figured out the step that started the process. I have the system up and running. My problem in not totally understanding the instructions that make sense LOL

On another note, I would like to add that support rocks and the system rocks as well. I spent thousands on the neptune system and apex systems that were so unreliable i could not trust anything with the system, especially pumps.

I have yet to have a problem with the ProfiLux, its proven to be reliable and fun at the same time. thanks again _macfishy

I have the same feeling about the controller and support with this product. Support /stability is top notch. Running beta software from the beginning but I never had any problem with the 'core' features. Only stuff that you have to be 'aware' off because its beta.

prolly the beta software of GHL is more stable that software of other vendors :) , This week I've red something about aquatronica , a guy bought a second hand old unit, but aquatronica-support couldn't tell him if he would be able to upgrade the fw if he bought the upgrade cable. How can you make a product and not knowing if you can flash the device ?
If I red that I just smiled @ my profilux :)