PDA

View Full Version : Tried Firmware Update w/ LAN; P2 Blank

jonnybravo22
11.04.2010, 23:34
Hello.

I did not follow the suggestion / warning about attempting a firmware update over LAN. It worked for me when I was being brave in the past but this time it failed and now my P2 is blank.

I read section 10.7 about firmware updates in the manual, just wondered if anyone could help me make sure I have the steps correct to try to revive the unit.

items needed:
1- RS232 Serial Cable
2- jumper
3- FMC16LX.zip with FlashLX software

general approach (in simplified terms):
1- power off, open unit, put in Jumper is specified spot
2- connect unit to computer using GHL RS232 cable
3- powr on, run software per instructions
4- power down unit
5- power on, reset defaults

Are those the main steps?

Also - I have a laptop computer and it does not have an RS232 port. What can I do? The instructions say that converters "many times" don't work. Is there one that is proven to work?

Any help is appreciated, and I realize I made this mistake by not heeding the warning.

Ken Good
12.04.2010, 00:17
I think that you have the steps set out correct. If you had the P3 then there would be no need for the jumper.

Most laptops today do not have a serial port. Therefore, I think all use the serial to usb converter. I have an old one from Radioshack that has never let me down.

Go for it and good luck. Since I also do not heed the warnings at times, I understand what you are going through.

Ken

jonnybravo22
13.04.2010, 02:55
Thanks Ken. will give it a shot. hope it works

jonnybravo22
19.04.2010, 06:24
I flashed it and uploaded the new firmware --- having some issues.

The controller is "responsive" now and displays the startup when it's plugged in and does the whole fish animation but i'm having two major problems:

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/jonny_bravo22/100_4725.jpg

1. The bottom line of text is all messed up, only show some of the pixels.

2. doesnt seem to "work" anymore. The temp alarm is going off nonstop and i can't turn it off. and i plugged in the temp probe and it's reading 103 degrees (same as when it is not plugged in).

any suggestions? Michael? Matthias?

Matthias
19.04.2010, 09:51
I can see th reason for your display problem:
you removed the upper part of the enclosure and then you put it back in the wrong direction - as you can see on the photo the enclosure has now a buckle above the display
what happened? a plastic notch pushes the display now from the top and the elctrical connection went bad
-> maybe the display recovers when you remove the upper part of the enclosure, rotate it 180° and put it back again

temperature issue:
- probe plugged into correct port?

jonnybravo22
19.04.2010, 12:03
thanks for your response!

think you were right on both counts, but could use a bit more help.

1. - temp probe was in the wrong slot. it is giving me proper readings now. that is a huge relief.

2. - the display seems to still have 1 row of pixels that it is not showing or only partially showing. I took the lid off and realized that the card holding the display was seated in slot 2 on one side and slot 3 on the other so it was a bit off there. i fixed that and rotated the top 180 degrees but wonder if there is something else i should be looking for. i honestly don't know how you were able to determine anything from the picture i sent but i still dont see what buckle you mean.

is it on correctly now?

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/jonny_bravo22/100_4728.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/jonny_bravo22/100_4727.jpg

thanks a lot Matthias.

Matthias
19.04.2010, 12:25
the "buckle" I saw: the enclosure seemed to be higher in the middle

display: possibly some contacts were damaged - you can't do more than assembling everything correctly (check the slots were the PCB is inserted, have the right rotation for the hood)

Matthias
19.04.2010, 12:25
COM is not lit: enable "digital powerbar"

jonnybravo22
19.04.2010, 12:33
got COM working -- i know i said it was plugged in...and it was... but not in S1S4...

saw that just beofre you responded so tried to edit. thanks again. I will monitor the display and take another look inside to see if anything looks out of place but thank you very much for getting me back to this point. i was worried that my unit might have been lost but it seems to be working properly now.

it's a bit funny that i've had these problems today as i've owned the unit for almost a year now. I guess it just goes to show that it really is a "set it and forget it" kind of thing.

thank you Matthias. Your help today may have saved my tank.