PDA

View Full Version : Other Uses for the Beloved "Manual"

Ken Good
30.03.2010, 15:24
Since I see the response "its in the manual a lot" I started this thread as a joke to lighten things up a little. So do you have any other uses for the manual other than the end all be all "bible" that it is professed to be?

My favorite use for the manual is as a coaster for a glass of water or as an extra mouse pad. What about you?

Be creative.

Ken

Ken Good
30.03.2010, 15:26
When I first got it I got away with using it as a bed time story to my youngest child until my wife heard me on the baby monitor and said I had to stop. Since she is the boss, I went back to Disney books.

Ken

Ken Good
30.03.2010, 15:27
Ever used it as a leveler for a table?

Blahenazo
30.03.2010, 17:09
I know that some users would be very happy if the manual would exists in more then the current 2 languages.

ps: I never used the paper manual, I just use the electronic one. I just crtl-F in the manual and if I can't find it I jump on this forum :)

Ken Good
30.03.2010, 17:23
Why would you ever need to come to this forum. "It's in the manual."

Blahenazo
30.03.2010, 17:51
To tell to other people to RTFM ? :D
Too complain about the manual perhaps ? :D

No seriously, I never saw someone complain that his topic was deleted even if it was critical, this forum is quite 'free' if topics are in the wrong subforum, , the moderation is not even noticable, user feedback is polite, no topix fights etc... and not to forget the feedback/support from users and GHL itself is super !!!!

Qouting with the manual or just to pointing the people to the manual is just a way to help the user and if we are lucky it will help other users if they use the search function about the same topic.

Ken Good
30.03.2010, 18:03
My "it's in the manual" comment was meant as a joke.

My newest use for the manual is the flat space for my webcam to sit on.

Ken

aqua_digital
03.04.2010, 23:14
Well not so much as a joke but I am starting to write an online set up guide, at present due to my massive support workload I am down to maybe one topic a week, but i will get there promise! :o

Ken Good
04.04.2010, 02:52
I think this is a great idea. I would also like to suggest that you consider adding a youtube element to it. I think one of the good things that bulk reef supply does is it has a great amount of youtube how to videos.

I think that some short videos on how to: 1. get started, 2. connect to the profilux controller for the first time using the usb to serial or usb to usb, 3. addressing the digital bar and/or dosing pumps, 4. assigning functions to each channel, 5. programming the chiller/heater, 6. programming email alerts, 7. upgrading firmware, 8. using flasher when or if 7 fails or as an alternative to, 9. programing normal lights, 10 programing the LED lights, and 11 other advanced programing techniques.

I owned the profilux unit for about six months before I was able to figure out how to communicate with it. Now it seems so stupid, but I think just a section in the manual saying "start here" would help ease the learning curve.

Ken

antonio_mota
27.04.2010, 23:49
And why not the Newbie Corner in Profilux computers?
I just received my Profilux Plus II and going around this forum to set it up to work with Wine ,in Linux KDE platform.
Let´ s hope i figure it up;)

wydchr
28.04.2010, 13:00
I have to agree with Ken and say that some kind of assistance would be great for newbies like me, I have just got a PIII and the manual is very sketchy at best and learning how to set things up and calibrate probes is proving to be quite a steep learning curve...
I have just managed to get one of the dosing pumps set up as a auto top up unit but now it just keeps going into 'Alarm mode' after just a few minutes running even though I have set the pump maximum run time to 30 minutes??

David.