PDA

View Full Version : Major Screw Up

Ken Good
29.03.2010, 15:10
I was playing with my profilux computer this morning and I noticed on the socket page that there was a check on something that said "digital bar connected to s1-s2." Never being afraid to push a button, I decided that the check was only needed during the programing of the sockets and was not needed anymore. So I unchecked, saved and went to do something else. I turned around and realized that everything dealing with my tank went off. I thought that the electricty must have gone off. Then I tried manual override and nothing worked. I opened my cabinet to see the sump and found that the computer unit was on. I also found that the dosing pump was dumping in Alk like there was no tomorrow. I immediately turned it off and back on and then the Cal also started dumping in.

Long story short. This was all the result of me unchecking "digital powerbar" on the socket page. My Alk went from 8.35 to over 9. I did let it precipitate a little in the sump before I turned the pumps back on. Hopefully, major catastrophe averted. DO NOT uncheck the digital powerbar feature on the socket page.

Ken

Ken Good
29.03.2010, 15:11
I should have run a like amount of calcium and let them mix in the sump before I turned it back on so that they would have did their think in the sump.

Ken

Blahenazo
29.03.2010, 19:06
how do you have it setup diasy chained with a powerbar or not ?
in the manual it states the correct setup of a dosing unit (it clearly indicates if you need to select digi or not )
So in the future avoid the urge of pressing on 'strange' buttons.

<from the manual>
Operation
If the dosing pump unit is connected to a ProfiLux it behaves in principle like a powerbar. It can be connected to a conventional
or digital powerbar output; it recognizes the output type automatically:
1) Connection to a conventional powerbar output of a ProfiLux
On S1-S4 (NOT set to digital): The pumps correspond to sockets 1 to 4
On S5-S8: The pumps correspond to sockets 5 to 8
On S9-S12 and S13-S16: accordingly
2) Connection to a digital powerbar output of a ProfiLux
On S1-S4 (set to digital): The pumps correspond to sockets 1 to 4 ex works. This assignment can be changed to allow
the simultaneous operation of several dosing pump units and/or digital powerbars. See the topic Digital Powerbars –
Set Numbering in the ProfiLux manual.
3) Connection to an autarkic Dosing Unit SA
The pumps are assigned to the channels 5 to 8.
</from the manual>

Ken Good
29.03.2010, 23:56
I had the dosing pumps daisy chained with the power bar.

Matthias
30.03.2010, 08:26
Some settings may cause big trouble when just "playing around" !

Be careful with changing settings if you don't know the meaning of the setting!

If not sure abaout a setting: All settings are explained in the (unloved) manual!

Ken Good
30.03.2010, 15:19
Some settings may cause big trouble when just "playing around" !

Be careful with changing settings if you don't know the meaning of the setting!

If not sure abaout a setting: All settings are explained in the (unloved) manual!

I have been waiting patiently for this response. I am a manual geek. If it had been clearly understood that it was stated in the manual I would not have pressed the button (and pressed save) to begin with. The manual is not unloved. The manual has its place but it is not clear all the time or seems to speak in a foreign language at times. Further, as a former teacher, I found out long ago people learn different ways. Being able to read something, comprehend it and then apply it to a new situation is call "synthesis" and is the highest level of learning. By saying its in the manual I think that you are expecting people to apply synthesis when they may not ever have learned at that level in the past and may not be able to ever learn at that level. I consider myself intelligent and I did not catch it. Isn't this the reason we have forums so that the users can exchange stories of what worked for them and what did not work for others so that we can learn from the group experience? If it was all truely just in the manual, then we should just close out all the forums and just download the manual.

I posted this because if I was stupid enough to do this maybe it would help someone else to keep from doing it. I am secure in who I am to laugh at it. Also, it looks like no major damage was done to any of my SPS corals. I think it would even be funny to make jokes about it. I can just imagine what other buttons I would push and what results there would be. But this is all part of the fun of the hobby and spending time with new friends and aquaintances discussing a hobby that is so unique.

Just my 2 cents. Until my next screw up, I am

Ken