PDA

View Full Version : Return pump control

Gullforce
23.03.2010, 14:12
G'day,
I am looking for some help / input into my proposed setup.
I have 2 tanks approx 50 metres apart. Tank 1 is a display tank, tank 2 is a large sump.
I would like to have my Profilux III eX control the movement of water between tank 1 and tank 2 without the possiblity of either pump running dry or either tank flooding.
I have the main Profilux III eX next to the sump and an expansion box next to the display tank.

My idea based on my very limited knowledge of the Profilux system, is to have the return pump on the sump (which is plumbed directly to the sump) pump water directly into the display tank. As the water level in the display tank fills up and drains into the overflow box, the water will gravity drain into a 240 litre container, which will contain a second return pump, to pump the water back to the sump.

This system means that it is nearly impossible for the display tank to drain completely or flood. If the power fails, both pumps shut down and the water levels plateau, hence no flooding or draining. The problem exists if 1 of the return pumps fail.

If I can install 3 float switches in the 240 litre container, I think the problem can be solved.
1st float switch at the bottom of the 240 litre container will allow the display tank return pump to automatically shut off if the water level in the 240 litre container gets too low.
2nd float switch in the top 2/3 of the 240 litre container which will automatically turn off the sump return pump should the water level get too high.
and the 3rd float switch will be in the top 3/4 of the 240 litre container and will shut both pumps off and send an alarm message and will only come into play if the 2/3 float fails.

Is this system possible? if so any hardware and software set up advice would be much appreciated

regards

Hamish

Blahenazo
23.03.2010, 19:58
Why not your P3 @ the display tank and the exbox @ the sump ?
then you can view your P3 display @ the display tank. Also easier to start feedmode otherwise you need to run to your sump to start it.
just my 2 cents ....

Gullforce
23.03.2010, 22:58
The reason the P3 is at the sump is because the sump also feeds another 2 display tanks that are all located in the fish room. Skimmers heaters, chillers etc are also in the fish room. I also have a computer in the fish room collecting the data and for programing the P3.
I have heard there may be a profilux view III due out soon (?) when this becomes available I will install on the exbox.
thanks for your input

Gullforce
27.03.2010, 08:15
Can anybody help?