PDA

View Full Version : Connecting over the internet (rostato)

rostato
16.03.2010, 13:25
Lucky man! I still struggling to set it up externally:(

Oh, no, this was only internally. I fought with it for about 7 hours yesterday trying to get it externally:(

Matthias
16.03.2010, 14:05
did you try this?

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1770

rostato
16.03.2010, 16:11
did you try this?

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1770

Yes, but I cannot get any port forwarding to work through my router no matter what I do. I don;t kno wif its me, my router, or the profilux that's the problem:confused:

Matthias
16.03.2010, 17:33
the ProfiLux is not the problem - port forwarding works for many customers - and it works here with my ProfiLux:D

same as for MSHUR:

please post the relevant router settings (screenshots), maybe we find the problem in this way

Question: What is the IP "from outside" of your router?

Blahenazo
16.03.2010, 20:04
maybe also post your router type. it make it easy to find a howto and then we can help better.

rostato
16.03.2010, 21:49
Thanks everyone. I think my router was the problem. Its over 3 years old, so I decided to buy a new routerm, and wireless bridge for the P3. I will post up later or tomorrow my progress.

Again, thanks for all the help here, I am learning a TON!

rostato
17.03.2010, 19:28
Ok here is where I am at.

I still cannot conect via internet:mad:

I bought a new Linksys WRT400N Router, and a WRT610N wireless bridge.

As on now I can access the P3 on any computer on my network, but I cannot figure out the port forwarding.

my routers numbers are image 1

MY bridge IP is 192.168.1.105

P3 settings are
IP 192.168.1.106
Subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.1.105 (IP of bridge)

Like I said, I can connect to the P3 from any computer on my network.

rostato
17.03.2010, 19:33
Here is an image of my routers port settings. No matter what I put them at it doesnt work.

My P3 is set for port 80

I also set up a DDNS and have it routed successfully to my router, but it will not work when I try forwarding the ports...

Any suggestions?

rostato
17.03.2010, 19:36
Proof that I can access via computer

Matthias
18.03.2010, 07:56
you still did not answer my question:

Question: What is the IP "from outside" of your router?

what address are you trying to access? Or do you have a dynamic DNS?

rostato
18.03.2010, 12:44
I am tryin gto access via a dynamic DNS. A static IP address is another $20 monthly with my Internet provider.

Gary worked with me for over 3 hours last night, and I think we (him) figured out the problem.

I'll wait until we get it completly fixed, and let you know what we had to do. We had to call it quits because it got late.

rostato
25.03.2010, 14:13
ok, Just to let everyone know Gary figured out my problem, and I just got everything up and running.

Basically, I was having serious communication issues between my modem, and seperate router. They were not talking properly at all.

So I ended up buying a brand new DSL modem/router combo from Netgear (awesoem by the way) and re doing my entire network. Followed his tutorial online, downgraded to firmware "m" and wala! It works.

So to those of you having issues, this may be a problem. You may need an all in one modem/router to get it to work for you.

mshur
25.03.2010, 16:48
I am glad you got working. i stil have problem, but i dont see what could be the problem between modem and router. i can get to my router from work without any problems and i dont why i cant get to profilux . what this has to do with cable modem? Plus, i spoke with cable company and they told me that i can use my own router/cable but the y will not support any issues in case i will have in the future. Plus, i get Free modem from cabgle company.
I am really upset, my main reason was to upgrade and spend extra money to get P3 so i can use webserver. No i am stuck!!!! I hope GHL will fix this problem...

fletch
25.03.2010, 17:21
I am glad you got working. i stil have problem, but i dont see what could be the problem between modem and router. i can get to my router from work without any problems and i dont why i cannot get to ProfiLux. what this has to do with cable modem? Plus, I spoke with cable company and they told me that i will can use my own router / cable but the y not support any issues in case i will have in the future. Plus, i get free modem from cabgle company.
I am really upset, my main reason was to upgrade and spend extra money to get P3 so i can use webserver. No i am stuck!! I hope GHL intends to fix this problem ...

Mike as you know I dont work for GHL, this seriously isnt a GHL problem, and I did explain why this doesnt work for you in your other post, but I will break down again in more detail

1. Your modem has an external IP, you connect to your router from the modem.

2. The router does not see the external ip, it sees the internal ip from your modem, it will therefore not route ports.

This is how you can remotely log into your router, but it doesnt route any traffic. To do this you need to bridge the connection from your modem to the router.

mshur
25.03.2010, 18:44
Gary,
First i really wanna thank you for taking time and helping me out !

Is it possable to fix this issue without me getting a new modem/router? How can i bridge connection?

mike

fletch
25.03.2010, 18:49
Gary,
First i really wanna thank you for taking time and helping me out !

Is it possable to fix this issue without me getting a new modem/router? How can i bridge connection?

mike

I tried for 7 hours with another user. To be honest I think the technology is just too old and it just presents problem after problem, believe me I really tried on this. In the UK the ISPs stopped supplying seperate modems and routers in 2003 ish, for this reason I guess...

What modem do you have and I will try and find you some instructions.

Thanks

Gary

mshur
25.03.2010, 18:53
gary,

Most people in US use modem/router set ups. i spoke with my cable company and they said i can get all in one unit , but they will not support me if i will have any problems like loosing connection and stuff:(
plus, they supply us with Free modems:)

fletch
25.03.2010, 19:00
gary,

Most people in US use modem/router set ups. i spoke with my cable company and they said i can get all in one unit , but they will not support me if i will have any problems like loosing connection and stuff:(
plus, they supply us with Free modems:)

Have you ever tried to get support from an ISP, I wouldnt worry too much about that.

I know its very mainstream, in the US, suprising, they'll catch up.

You didnt mention the name of your router...

mshur
25.03.2010, 19:14
sorry,
I have Linksys router.

do you think if i call support they will walk me through to get this bridge connection?

fletch
25.03.2010, 19:17
sorry,
I have Linksys router.

do you think if i call support they will walk me through to get this bridge connection?

worth a try? the linksys is the router, whats the modem make and model?

thanks

g

mshur
25.03.2010, 19:30
ops.. its scientific atlanta who makes it. small black box:)

fletch
25.03.2010, 22:41
Mike,

try a post here, http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all let me know if you need any help writting it up.

Thanks

g

rostato
25.03.2010, 22:55
I must say that I am happy I went with the all in one modem/router. It was SO easy to set up, and get going even with using a wireless bridge on the PIII. Plus, for whatever reason I get about 250-500kbps faster speeds...not much , but it's nice!

mshur
26.03.2010, 06:15
Gary,
I was talking to some IT guy from out local club and he said that cable company doenst want people to run they webservers and they block something , i dont remmebrt to tech for me:)
he also said that , there is a way around it and he can come over to check my reef ( of cause:)) and help me with this issue. So , i will wait:)

mike

rostato
26.03.2010, 12:38
Why don't you just call your cable internet provider and ask if they block remote access by users. It only took me like 5 min to call and find out that they don't block it. It they do block it, then you know you have an un-fixable problem.

fletch
26.03.2010, 12:44
Gary,
I was talking to some IT guy from out local club and he said that cable company doenst want people to run they webservers and they block something , i dont remmebrt to tech for me:)
he also said that , there is a way around it and he can come over to check my reef ( of cause:)) and help me with this issue. So , i will wait:)

mike

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago this was the case, but most reasonable ISP's no longer do this.

This is not the case for you because you can remotley connect to your linksys.

I would seriously post in the dedicated forum to resolve this issue or upgrade your equipment.

Thanks

g

mshur
26.03.2010, 19:03
thank you guys,
I will wait for my friend to check out my set up when he come over to see my tank. i hope he will be able to fix it