PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Socket running hot

Rick99VT
10.03.2010, 22:14
Perhaps this is normal and it's always been like this, but my expansion socket which has 2 250W MH's plugged into it is very warm, and almost hot in a couple spots.

Is this normal? Or is there something wrong going on?

Thank you

Rick99VT
10.03.2010, 22:23
In addition to above: Out of concern I just unplugged both of the MH's from the expansion socket, and when I touched the metal prongs on the MH plug it actually burned my skin like a hot stove.

I am the farthest thing from an electrician, but I have a hunch this is not normal. Please advise, thank you.

Matthias
11.03.2010, 08:27
this sounds not normal

of cause the expansion socket, plug and cable becomes warm, but not as hot that you can burn your skin

sometimes a bad plug is the reason for a too hot temp, then the plug has a poor contact to the socket

Rick99VT
15.03.2010, 22:13
I've realized the heat is coming from just the one socket, the other is just real warm from the heat of the other. The socket that is the source of the heat makes the plug hot to the touch.

It's obvious to me now that the problem is the plug is loose in that socket, thus a poor contact point and the resulting resistance causing the heat. I have plugged in several different plugs thinking perhaps the issue was the metal halide plug, but they're all loose in the socket.

Would it be possible for me to disassemble the unit and tighten up the metal contact points in the socket? I've had it for 2 1/2 years, so the warranty is no more. Please advise.

Thank you