PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a power bar?

RRodrigues
23.03.2009, 02:40
Hello,

I'm ordering the Profilux Plus II controller and the SMS-module and want to know if to put these two working I need the powerbar? My main goal is to go on vacation with less worries about power outage, pH and temperature fluctuation.

Do you know if I can buy the RS232 cable to connect them to each other easily in an electronics/computer store?

Thank you

GHL Support
23.03.2009, 10:37
If you like to control pH and temperature you need some devices for the regulation (e.g. heating, glow bar etc.). Most of them can't be connected directly to the ProfiLux. They can be connected to the powerbar, each socket can be programmed separately in its function. The powerbar is connected to the ProfiLux and controlled by it.

No, it is not possible to use a common RS232 cable. It is not exactly the same as the cable from GHL (there is one more special pin on it).

RRodrigues
23.03.2009, 11:04
Thank you Carolin.

So I must buy the Profilux Plus II controller, SMS-module and the RS232 cable from GHL. I was considering buying them from Aquapro2000 (www.aquapro2000.de) but they don't seem to have that cable. I was counting the number of pins in that cable (from the photos of the rear of the controller and it seems that there are just 9 pins like in an ordinary RS232 cable, are you sure that the RS232 cable from GHL is different from an ordinary one?

regards

GHL Support
23.03.2009, 11:27
So I must buy the Profilux Plus II controller, SMS-module and the RS232 cable from GHL. I was considering buying them from Aquapro2000 (www.aquapro2000.de) but they don't seem to have that cable.
Yes, but I would recommend to buy also a powerbar to control your devices...
Perhaps the ProfiLux Plus II ProfiSet would be an option? Here, the powerbar and the RS232-cable are already included.

I was counting the number of pins in that cable (from the photos of the rear of the controller and it seems that there are just 9 pins like in an ordinary RS232 cable, are you sure that the RS232 cable from GHL is different from an ordinary one?
Yes, definitely! The use of an ordinary PC-cable can even lead to malfunction and destruction of the devices. Sorry if I confused you by saying at the GHL cable there is an extra pin. It is not additonal, but it is a very special one (of these 9) that routes special ProfiLux-signals. A common cable can't identify and route these signals.

RRodrigues
23.03.2009, 19:35
I was considering buying that Profiset but I think 4 sockets is not enough so I was planning buying the 6 socket powerbar another time. Also I have several pH probes and solenoid valves.

Does the controller or the SMS-unit come with any RS232 cable? I was searching what is included inside the box at www.aquariumcomputer.com but didn't find that information.

Matthias
24.03.2009, 08:13
yes, the SMS unit comes with the cable Profilux<->SMS unit

But if you have not already the serial cable ProfiLux<->PC you need this one, too.
Alternatively you can use a USB or LAN-card, in any case you need a connection to the PC to setup the SMS unit.