PDA

View Full Version : Firmware Instructions

Rick99VT
18.02.2010, 00:22
Where are the basic firmware instructions? The PIII manual I downloaded from the aquariumcomputer.com site suggests the instructions can be found on the website, yet I cannot find them anywhere. I see the SMS firmware instructions and all the various firmware updates and profilux controls, but not the instructions.

Thank you

Matthias
18.02.2010, 07:49
usually you can do the update with ProfiLuxControl without a special tool or extra instructions

only when this update fails you can use the flasher tool to recover the firmware, how to use this tool is described in the ProfiLux manual
if this manual is not enough - in our forum are many posts regarding firmware recovery with this tool

capri
27.02.2010, 09:19
Are there any plans for firmware upgrades to be done by USB flash drives or WLAN? I don't have a laptop. The P3 is 15 meters away so for every firmware update I have to remove everything and then put it back again.

Matthias
27.02.2010, 09:36
Hi

updates via USB flash drive or WLAN will not be possible. What about an extension cable for the updates?

capri
27.02.2010, 10:36
What extension cables? USB are only good for 5 meters. I have the PL-0083 cable by my computer doesn't have a serial port. Are you planning upgrades using LAN cables?

Matthias
27.02.2010, 11:23
try it with an 10m extension - in most cases it works because the transmission during the update has not the full speed
here in my office it works without problems

capri
27.02.2010, 16:54
You mean USB to RS232 converter + 10m extension cable + PL0083 cable to the serial port of the P3?

Matthias
27.02.2010, 17:05
You mean USB to RS232 converter + 10m extension cable + PL0083 cable to the serial port of the P3?

this will work in any case

but I meant an USB-extension, I am quite sure it will also work even if it is longer than 5m

jjk_reef00
01.05.2010, 06:56
usually you can do the update with ProfiLuxControl without a special tool or extra instructions

only when this update fails you can use the flasher tool to recover the firmware, how to use this tool is described in the ProfiLux manual
if this manual is not enough - in our forum are many posts regarding firmware recovery with this tool

What exactly does that mean. There are obviously steps involved in the firmware upgrade (download software, connect usb, etc...). I want to know what these steps are. Especially because I have an expansion box as well. For the amount of money we pay for these controllers we shouldn't have to rummage through forums, or extensively long manuals to find out how to upgrade firmware. It should be posted in a separate pdf on the same page we download the firmware.

jjk_reef00
01.05.2010, 07:04
I also see that control software depends on chipset. How are you suppose to know which one you have?

jjk_reef00
01.05.2010, 07:37
So instructions are on rc:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820118

First you connect with the connection software.
Then you go to system and select firmware upgrade.
Easy once you figure it out.

I tried upgrading over USB but I get error 8 Flasherase - No response

jjk_reef00
01.05.2010, 08:25
I had to reset and it worked.
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1274

Did my usb firmware upgrade cause this problem?

I've had enough tonight I will try the expansion box tomorrow...

Matthias
01.05.2010, 10:11
What exactly does that mean. There are obviously steps involved in the firmware upgrade (download software, connect usb, etc...). I want to know what these steps are. Especially because I have an expansion box as well. For the amount of money we pay for these controllers we shouldn't have to rummage through forums, or extensively long manuals to find out how to upgrade firmware. It should be posted in a separate pdf on the same page we download the firmware.

that means: start ProfiLuxControl, click connect, then invoke menu "file -> firmware update", then follow the instructions on the screen

of course this assumes you can connect with ProfiLuxControl, if you can't you maybe have to change the connection settings or install the correct USB driver

Blahenazo
01.05.2010, 18:29
I had to reset and it worked.
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1274

Did my usb firmware upgrade cause this problem?

I've had enough tonight I will try the expansion box tomorrow...

for the ex box look in this thread. must be done before trying to do anything with the pab devices.
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1395