PDA

View Full Version : Need Help P3 to Internet via Wireless Bridge

cerreta
05.02.2010, 19:45
I have been having troubles connecting the P3 to a router.

I purchased a Trendnet TEW-647GA. It is designed as a wireless bridge for games like the Xbox to connect to a router in another room.
Programmed as follows:
IP: 196.168.2.116
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 255.255.255.255

SSID and security setup to reach wireless router. Device programed sucessfully. Then I connected to P3 LAN port.

P3 settings:
Name of connection: da Artsy Cube
Host-Name: 196.168.2.116
Port: 10001
Search automatically: unchecked
Device address: 1
Type of connection: TCP/IP
Timeout: 5000ms

When selecting Connect the following message appears:
Could not connect. Do you want to check the settings now?

What do I do from here???

cerreta
06.02.2010, 17:14
Matthias, am I setting up the P3 correctly here?

The bridge I am using is working. It has been tested on other devices, no problem. The issue I am having is with the P3 device configuration.

Can someone guide me through proper settup config of the P3?

JasonK
06.02.2010, 22:04
May not be the exact answer but I have done something similar with a Airport Express, I had to set the network settings of the Profilux to manual network settings, assigned a spare IP Address, subnet mask to reflect your network and the default gateway I set was that of the bridge, in my case the IP address of the Airport express.

Maybe different for you but HTH,
Jason

cerreta
07.02.2010, 02:47
Jason, I think that is what I did. But P3 still does not respond. Can you give more explicit detail to what you did in a format like I posted above?
Cheers

JasonK
07.02.2010, 19:08
My Wireless bridge (Apple AirPort Express) is programmed as follows:
IP: 3.3.3.110
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 3.3.3.3 (This is the IP address is my wireless router)

P3 settings:
While connected to my PC over USB I went into System, LAN and set the properties to use manual entires
IP: 3.3.3.111 (on my home network this was the next available IP address, which I then reserved it against the MAC address of the Profilux, but this is not necessary is most cases)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 3.3.3.110 (i.e. the IP address of my bridge)

Jason

cerreta
08.02.2010, 15:49
Jason, I do not have the option to edit the subnet mask or gateway addresses. Where are you entering this information?

Also P3 ends in 111 but computer is 110. Is this correct?
Cheers,
Scott

JasonK
09.02.2010, 00:46
I connect to my P3 over USB to my computer and from the Profilux Software installed on the PC once connected to the controller you can go into System and the LAN settings. The bridge is 110 and my p3 computer is 111. On the LAN settings from within the software I set the IP address of my bridge as the default gateway.
Jason

bmwaaron
10.02.2010, 03:02
Did you ever get it working cerreta?
I have the same adaptor but have not yet installed the P3 upgrade kit due to all the problems people are having. Want to wait until its ready for release.

cerreta
12.02.2010, 07:38
Jason thanks for the help. I've been working on it, but still no success. I had trouble with the wireless router at the office trying to determine its IP address.

That wireless router is up and running again. So, now I need to get the bridge working again. Then I'll try your methods to get the P3 talking to it.

I sure wish the Profilux staff would offer support when it comes to setting up the P3 to communicate with a WORKING bridge device. They sure spent a lot of time telling me and others to buy the upgrade to get that capability. Yet, no one is really able to get the P3 to do what was promised, establish wireless connection through a bridge. Furthermore, there are no instructions at all with the P3 that discusses LAN, WLAN, or bridge connections.

Matthias
12.02.2010, 08:47
No one is really able to get the P3 to do what was promised, establish wireless connection through a bridge

This is not correct, many users are using a wireless bridge, of course only the issues are reported in forums.

The problem is: We don't know every wireless hardware from other manufacturers and how to use it - so it is not easy to give here much assistance. You are writing "WORKING device" - but what does this mean? When I plug in a new electronic device it is also working in some way - but it must be setup to work CORRECTLY.

Ok, let's try this.
First you should establish a simple DIRECT WIRED connection without a wireless bridge between. Set 192.168.2.xxx for ProfiLux (must be unique address don't forget to reboot).
Connect with ProfiLuxControl 192.168.2.xxx and with webbrowser. If successfull we should move to the next step.

cerreta
12.02.2010, 16:11
Thanks Matthias. That tip is helpful. I will try that this morning and then move on to the bridge after that.

I had a working bridge, but returned it to the store. What I mean by working bridge, is that I could connect that bridge device to two different laptops in the office, and both were able to reach the wireless router and get onto the Internet. And, yes, the internal wireless adapters and LAN lined were disabled.

Then when I connected it to P3, no connection. I was trying to make changes in the connection box on the General page, but had no idea that I was supposed to configure the LAN settings of P3 in the Systems tab.

This is where I think Profilux suppport is needed. It is useful if you help users establish connection through LAN line. I did not think of that before. Then a working bridge should work seemlessly, I hope.

Matthias
12.02.2010, 16:36
Just coming back from the store - I bought a Wireless bridge from "Mad Catz" for making some tests here - usually this is used for an XBox, but can also be used for other standard LAN devices

Tomorrow I will install the wireless connection to my P3 with this bridge - I am sure after this I made some experiences which are worth to be shared ...

cerreta
13.02.2010, 01:49
Matthias, thanks for getting involved this will be helpful.

Okay, I tried connecting via wored LAN line and no connection. I did perform a reboot by disconnecting power cord for ten seconds. Is this a reboot?

Here are the current settings:

P3 settings CONNECTION :
Host-Name: 196.168.2.116
Search for SMS modeule: unchecked

P3 settings SYSTEM / LAN:
Obtain IP address aoutomatically: unchecked
Use following settings: checked
IP address: 192.168.2.133
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.000
Default Gateway: 255.255.255.000

With these settings, no connection. I also opened IE broswer and punched in 192.168.2.123 and nothing happens there either.

What is next?

cerreta
13.02.2010, 01:51
I tried another LAN cable. Still no connection.

Matthias
13.02.2010, 09:32
yes, remvoing power a few seconds reboots the unit

what are the IP settings of your PC and network?

cerreta
13.02.2010, 09:54
The wireless network is 192.168.2.1 and I have the PC on "find IP address automatically"
I am trying connect by hardwire, so I don;t understand the point of needing the network IP address.

Matthias
13.02.2010, 12:42
this is exactly the point: all devices in a network must have matching IPs, if this is not sure we will have no success with ProfiLux or the WLAN bridge

for class C networks (usually you have this at home) the first 3 numbers must be equal

example: 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.11 will talk to each other, but 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.0.11 won't!

what does this mean? you must know in which range your PC receives automatic IPs, then we can configure the ProfiLux and your WLAN bridge correctly

how to find out:
- check the settings of your router (something like DHCP)
- or check the current IP of your PC - e.g. with executing "cmd", then enter "ipconfig" in the DOS-Box

Hint: of course you can also activate "auto IP" in the ProfiLux, then it gets a random IP which fits to the IP of your PC - but I doubt that it will work with the WLAN bridge

cerreta
14.02.2010, 05:56
When you say network. I thought you were refering to the wireless router. It sounds like you are referring to the computer's IP address feature. I found it and I can disable it to program specific numbers. I need help here though.

For now, I want to disable the auto IP feature and direcetly program the computer to mate with the P3.
Later, I will run the IP config and find the auto IP feature address range.

Based on these settings here (are these okay? I'm concerned about the gateway address):

P3 settings CONNECTION :
Host-Name: 192.168.2.117
Search for SMS modeule: unchecked

P3 settings SYSTEM / LAN:
Obtain IP address aoutomatically: unchecked
IP address: 192.168.2.116
Default Gateway: 255.255.255.000

What do I program into the following fields on the computer:

IP
Subnet mask
Default Gateway

Were you able to get your bridge up and running?

Matthias
14.02.2010, 10:06
yes, my bridge was working afte about 15 minutes, when I had some time I will post how I did it

I don`t know if these settings are OK, it depends on your router settings. This was the reason I asked you to find out the settings of your router. The router is the default gateway.

how to find out:
- check the settings of your router (something like DHCP)
- or check the current IP of your PC - e.g. with executing "cmd", then enter "ipconfig" in the DOS-Box

are you able to access your router and check the settings in it? what is the IP address of your router?

cerreta
15.02.2010, 05:59
Okay, I ran ipconfig on the office laptop computer. I can actually connect this with a Wired LAN line and a wireless router. Both settings are below. I', goint to try to connect the P3 directly to the laptop with a LAN line. I'm thinking that I need to tell P3 system setting that the gateway is that of the wireless gateway, which is 192.162.2.1. I'm thinking this because the P3 is connected to the LAN port on the laptop and that will each Internet through the wireless router. I may be wrong here.

Anyhow, please tell me what i should set P3 CONNECTION and p# SYSTEM LAN settings too for a wired connection to the laptop. Also, please tell me what to program into the IPv4 manually on the laptop. This stuff is hard as hell for me. :eek:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : ala
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::691a:1be3:f5b9:46be%12
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::fda4:683f:f242:e433%11
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.109
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Matthias
15.02.2010, 08:19
you wrote
Okay, I ran ipconfig on the office laptop computer

only to avoid confusion and misunderstandings: this is the computer we are talking about here? Otherwise the IP settings are not interesting.

you have 2 different IP ranges: 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x, depending on the netwrok adapter you are using. Which adapter is used for connecting to ProfiLux? This adapter determines which IP ProfiLux must have.

To be honest, I still don`t understand your home network. Is there a router? How is what computer connected to it?

Maybe a detailled description or even a drawing would help, at the moment I am a little lost.

And you didn't answer my question
are you able to access your router and check the settings in it? what is the IP address of your router?

cerreta
15.02.2010, 10:15
Hi Matthias, tell me about it. I am :confused: too. Here is the dilemma. da Artsy Cube is located at work. We have two routers, a direct LAN line router and a separate wireless router system. The settings I posted are for both routers. the 192.168.1.1 is the LAN router. The 192.168.2.1 is the wireless router.

to make a long story short. . . I did it :rolleyes: I configured the LAN line first. Then, once that was done, establishing the bridge system was a bit tricky, but I got that too . . . :eek:

As you pointed out, there are two routers. Your tip about understanding the series of numbers was very helpful. When configuring the wireless router and bridge, I had to change the 192.168.1 family to 192.168.2 family. It was really not too bad on the bridge.

the major issue I had was understanding how to configure the P3 CONNECTION and the SYSTEM / LAN settings. Once I understood this, things came together.

I will try to put together a synopsis and some photos of my system and configuration. I'll post it on RC and place a link here too.

I do appreciate you stepping in and helping me with configuring the P3. I do think this was appropriate, as my problem was not in configuring the bridge. It would be nice to see a set of instructions for configuration. I did review and read (several times) the LAN/WLAN instruction. However, to tell you the truth, they are difficult to follow. The instructions veer off from LAN and really focus on the WLAN installation. It goes into the software configuration which is not helpful when trying to establish a LAN connection.

I would encourage a set of instructions specifically for the P3 and establishing a LAN connection. If people can this connected, then setting up a bridge is fairly straight forward.

For those following along, this is what I discovered in a nutshell: Understanding all the pieces involved was a great step for me to figure out how networks work. So, I laid out a map and parts and addresses. Hope this helps:

Devices:
1. Wireless Router = IP 192.168.2.1
2. Wireless Bridge = IP 192.168.2.2
3. P3 with LAN Port = IP 192.168.2.3
4. Computer (anywhere in the world) with Profilux Control

Devices 1-3 have specific addresses, called IP address. This is your device address, like a home address. Therefore, every device will have a unique Home Address. You need to know the address of the first three devices. You don't need to know the computer address (except for when you are programming all the devices).

The default mask will usually be the same for most people = 255.255.255.0

The Default Gateway is your mailing address. This is where you want to transmit a signal to!

First step, you must know the address of the Wireless Router. All other IP addresses will be set based on that device. In START menu, type "cmd" into search field. DOS box pops up and type "ipconfig"

Record the following information (I give mine as example):

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection
IPv4 Address: 192.168.2.101 = home address = this computer
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1 = home mailing address = wireless router

In other words, I am mailing a message from my home address (192.168.2.101) to the mailing address (192.168.2.1). When the message gets to its final destination, the wireless router, it gets broadcast onto the Internet. This is where we want the messages to go. I hope this analogy is helpful for some folk like me that does not really understand all the networking stuff and jargon.

Now that I know the wireless router IP address, I can program the other devices. This is important because the other devices must be in the same family as the wireless router. In this example the family name of the wireless router is 192.168.2
All other devices must have this family address. In the fourth section of numbers, you can enter any value from 0 to 255, but all three devices must be different and you must know them.
As you can see, I am keeping things simple. The family is all the same number: 192.168.2
Wireless Router is .1, Wireless Bridge is .2, and P3 is .3

Step 2 is to program our wireless bridge. I used a Linksys WRT54G with firmware v24-SP2. Follow the online tutorial and this should be easy. http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3639271
Another option is to purchase a gaming router for about $60. It comes with instructions that will tell you how to program it. This is by far the easiest way to get a working bridge, but you pay more for it.

When programming the Wireless Bridge, this is what I used for my system:
Disable DHCP (follow tutorial)
IP Address: 192.168.2.2 = Home Address for the Wireless Bridge
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1 = Send Messages to the Wireless Router
REBOOT Wireless Bridge

Step 3 is to program Profilux 3. I did all the programming through a USB connection and Profilux Control 5.0.0.7
P3 Settings CONNECTION :
Name of connection: da Artsy Cube (use any name you want)
Host-Name: 192.168.2.3 = Home Address for the P3 itself. This means you can use any computer in the world to find your P3 by dialing its IP address.
Search for SMS module: unchecked

P3 Settings SYSTEM / LAN:
Obtain IP address automatically: unchecked
IP address: 192.168.2.3 = Home Address for P3
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.2 = Send Messages to Wireless Bridge

Viola, you will have access to view and control P3 computer from any computer in the world. This is the flow for viewing P3 settings on any Internet Browser:
Call P3 at http://192.168.2.3, now P3 answers the call and sends a message to the Default Gateway 192.168.2.2 which is the Wireless Bridge connected to the P3 LAN port. The Wireless Bridge then sends a wireless message to the Wireless Router at my office which is done by Default Gateway 192.168.2.1. And there it is. Once a message hits the Internet it can be viewed by you anywhere in the world. When viewing the settings, it is very basic. I hope some improvements come in the future. I think some other people have figured out a way to view more stuff, but that is beyond me right now.
The second and likely more important task, is to physically control your P3 anywhere in the world. For this, you must use computer with Profilux Control software installed (keep it on a thumb drive if travelling and using Internet cafes). Then all you have to do is program Profilux Control P3 as you did before:
P3 Settings CONNECTION :
Host-Name: 192.168.2.3 = Home Address for the P3 itself. This means you can use any computer in the world to find your P3 by dialing its IP address.
Press connect and you get it.

OK, I’m tired. I’m gonna run home and make sure I can do what I just promised ;)

Matthias
15.02.2010, 14:13
Hi

I am happy that you got your bridge up and running. Your detailled explanation may help some other users with similar problems.

I believe in most cases it is quite easy to get the connection from a PC to a ProfiLux 3 over LAN. Just set verything to "auto" and hope that ProfiLuxControl can detect the automatically assigned IP of the ProfiLux. This works if your network is configured correctly and if DHCP-server is present (a DHCP-server assigns IP-addresses), usually part of the router.

But: If it becomes a little special - e.g. if there are several routers and network adaptors or a LAN/WLAN-bridge present some basic knowledge are necessary.

BTW: The LAN/WLAN-tutorial is only for our cards PLM-LAN or PLM-WLAN. The built-in LAN-interface of P3 is easier to configure - just enter IP or choose "automatic IP" - ready

cerreta
15.02.2010, 20:57
So, I am having another issue. I tried to connect to the P3 from my home computer and it will not connect. I also cannot view the P3 settings by punching the address into the IE broswer window.

What do I need to do to control the computer from anywhere in the world? Am I missing somthing?

At home I launched Profilux Control 5.0.0.7 with these settings:

P3 Settings CONNECTION :
Host-Name: 192.168.2.3

Do I need to change the settings on the home machine to see the P3? What about MAC address is this important when trying to do this feature? These are the settings on the home PC after running ipconfig:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : tc.ph.cox.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::48cf:be9c:802a:e55a%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.190
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:389b:1f14:bbff:6820
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::389b:1f14:bbff:6820%12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
Tunnel adapter isatap.tc.ph.cox.net:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Matthias
16.02.2010, 08:18
This is a complete different topic and here is knowledge about networking and internet addresses necessary, it is not so easy!

To avoid a wrong picture: This is nothing special for ProfiLux - you would have to do this with any equipment you want to access from "outside"!

> you must differ between private adresses (the IP addresses at home, like 192.168.1.100) and public addresses which must be unique worldwide (e.g. 74.125.43.105 is the address of www.google.de (http://www.google.de))

Now you may wonder that you can type www.google.de (http://www.google.de) in the address bar of your browser instead of this IP. This is possible with DNS - this translates a domain name to an IP.

What do you need now? A static IP - not very likely that you can get one - or a domain name from DynDNS. Then you must setup your router that incoming TCP/IP calls for ports 80 (for the webserver) and 10001 (for access with ProfiLuxControl) are redirected to the ProfiLux. Here in this forum are some threads dealing with DynDNS.

cerreta
16.02.2010, 15:13
aaahhrrrgggg.

The saga continues.

Do I have to change the wireless router to recieve incoming calls or the wireless bridge?

Matthias
17.02.2010, 09:24
the part which connects your home network with the rest of the world, the thing which is connected to your telephone line