PDA

View Full Version : GHL Connect & My GHL Performance

Oceaninyourhome
13.05.2020, 05:05
Hello all,

Let me start by saying that having recently purchased a KHD SA Kit I am super pleased with the product, it was 100% accurate from test 1, and has been rock solid compared to Hanna ever since.

My full intentions from the start was (is) to fully automate my system, next in line is P4 then ION etc....

There is something seriously bugging me, and it really is holding back my next GHL purchase....

My experience of the GHL Connect App & MyGHL is really poor, since purchase I have experienced the following issues....

- When navigating around the software, everything takes an age to load, functions hang up, fail to load etc
- Tiles on Dashboard regularly fail to load, left with spinner on screen
- Functions freeze when making/saving changes, requires restart and navigation back to setting to check it has updated.

So in summary, the user interface is really holding me back.

Please, if someone can help me resolve these niggles I will be 100% sold on my next purchase, I don’t want to give up and go back to the dark side (Apex)

Thanks
Lee

Vinny
13.05.2020, 18:05
Hello Lee,

What you are describing sounds like a connection stability issue. If the primary device has a weak signal to the router or the internet connection is not stable, this will result in slower connectivity and longer load times.

Oceaninyourhome
13.05.2020, 18:32
Thanks for the reply Vinny, what would you advise to improve connectivity?

It is strange that it could be a connection issue as I have no issues with any other wireless devices in the house. The 2.1 is located less than 5m from the router.

I would also add that this issue is consistent, not intermittent, it doesn’t matter what time of day I try to use the GHL Connect or MyGHL it is slow, hangs up and fails to load.

I’m running the dashboard on an iPad, and the primary device is KHD 2.1 SA which is connected wirelessly.

Vinny
13.05.2020, 19:00
These other devices are probably not surrounded by water either. ;)

Most of the time the dosers are placed inside stands and surrounded by the display tank above and sump beside or below it. The doser itself connects only to a 2.4ghz band. Although 2.4ghz does much better than 5ghz in terms of range, it can have a difficult time maintaining adequate signal strength if it is tucked away inside a stand and surrounded by water. Here is where the router comes in...

If the router signal strength is not enough to communicate with the doser, you will see longer load times.

One way to rule this out is to temporarily switch the SA Doser to LAN mode and connect an Ethernet cable to the doser and your router. If the speed improves, then that confirms the issue being signal strength related.

When you connect, have you tried comparing the speeds between connecting through your network vs. myGHL?
What were the results?

brianmsu80
13.05.2020, 22:20

In my opinion, all the more reason to include a LAN port or at least optional add-on.

Vinny
13.05.2020, 22:52
In my opinion, all the more reason to include a LAN port or at least optional add-on.

?
We're talking about a SA doser here which does have a LAN port...

brianmsu80
13.05.2020, 23:03
?
We're talking about a SA doser here which does have a LAN port...

I missed that part. Wish list for my P4 is a LAN port.

widarecu
21.05.2020, 01:35
I would add that I understand the rational behind but your main competitor doesn’t have the same issue, I’m in the same position as Lee, my original plan was to switch slowly to GHL (I have ION Director pre ordered) but I’m having second thoughts due your software not being very stable and sometimes usable.

Great product but I think you need further investment in your software development side, not trying to criticize but just feedback for improvement.

Bob_The_Reefer
18.06.2020, 14:58

Most of the time the dosers are placed inside stands and surrounded by the display tank above and sump beside or below it. The doser itself connects only to a 2.4ghz band. Although 2.4ghz does much better than 5ghz in terms of range, it can have a difficult time maintaining adequate signal strength if it is tucked away inside a stand and surrounded by water. Here is where the router comes in...

If the router signal strength is not enough to communicate with the doser, you will see longer load times.

One way to rule this out is to temporarily switch the SA Doser to LAN mode and connect an Ethernet cable to the doser and your router. If the speed improves, then that confirms the issue being signal strength related.

When you connect, have you tried comparing the speeds between connecting through your network vs. myGHL?
What were the results?

Did the OP see a resolution to this issue?

After a couple of weeks of problem free connection I too have difficulty connecting via the app.

My Doser SA and my (non GHL) controller are connected by WiFi to the same router at 2.4GHz.

I can connect to the cloud desktop for my controller every time in sub 3s.

Connection to the Doser vis GHL Connect if it connects takes much longer somewhere between 15s and never.

Ping time to the two servers is the same, myGHL server route goes through an additional hop but can't see that as significant

I can't see that this is down to my WiFi

BTW Red Sea leds and reef waves connect via cloud app every time without issue

Quite frustrating ....

MatthiasF
19.06.2020, 08:28
Hello,

please create a ticket, where we will take care of this:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/support/tickets-enquiries/

Bob_The_Reefer
19.06.2020, 09:07
Hello,

please create a ticket, where we will take care of this:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/support/tickets-enquiries/

Ticket created - thanks for the response

PaulTaylor
17.09.2020, 04:00
Did the OP see a resolution to this issue?

After a couple of weeks of problem free connection I too have difficulty connecting via the app.

My Doser SA and my (non GHL) controller are connected by WiFi to the same router at 2.4GHz.

I can connect to the cloud desktop for my controller every time in sub 3s.

Connection to the Doser vis GHL Connect if it connects takes much longer somewhere between 15s and never.

Ping time to the two servers is the same, myGHL server route goes through an additional hop but can't see that as significant

I can't see that this is down to my WiFi

BTW Red Sea leds and reef waves connect via cloud app every time without issue

Quite frustrating ....

I have the same issues and was looking to purchase both the Profilux 4 and Ion Director, however am tending towards the Neptune Apex because of my frustrations with the connection continually dropping out or taking up to four times to establish an initial connection.
I am happy with the product, however connectivity between the app and the unit is terrible.
Its not just a matter of weak wifi signal strength.
I will try the LAN method suggested and open a ticket, however i suggest there is more to this than the signal strength in our individual houses.

BTW Mobius works really well in the same system.

dowensi
21.12.2020, 20:31
Dear All,

IÂ’m equally having issues with software/connection......

IÂ’ve managed to connect my KH Director and Stand Alone doser through the hotspot and relevant App.
Unfortunately though, I canÂ’t connect to MyGHL.
When I change the settings in the App to allow full MyGHL access it doesnÂ’t properly save. IÂ’m not sure if this is still because IÂ’m connected through the hotspot? The problem is that if I run over 4g or Wi-fi it then wonÂ’t let me connect to my doser.

The other issue IÂ’m having is that when I add my GHL ID to the area in MyGHL it says the device could not be added.

Can anyone help at all as IÂ’m getting nowhere with the support ticketing system?

Many thanks and keep safe

Vinny
21.12.2020, 21:13
@dowensi
You need to get the doser connected to your network before you can access it over myGHL. If your doser has no connection to the internet, it cannot communicate with myGHL.

Closely follow the steps shown here:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/knowledge-base/how-to-connect-ghl-doser-sa-to-your-wi-fi-network/