PDA

View Full Version : GHL 2.1 Manual Dosing

tonvol
18.04.2019, 10:44
Hi , I need to use the manual function of the doser to dose Calcium and Alk at different times of the day to avoid precipitation , but can only seem to set it for maximum of 8 doses a day, this means I have to dose large quantities of alk that make my PH levels rise too much.

Is there a way around the 8 dose maximum as this is not a cheap doser and doesn't seem to do what I need it to do ?

hbash@bashcomputing.com
25.04.2019, 17:21
Hello. I am a new user of the doser, so please take my suggestions as just that. I think if you do auto dosing, you can set the start time and then can have as many as 150 doses per day of the amount you wish.

tonvol
25.04.2019, 20:39
yes I know I can do auto dosing but I then have no control over when my calcium and alkalinity are dosed as I am dosing large amounts of all I need to dose many times over 24hours to prevent PH spikes and if they both dose together I get precipitation, so ideally it would be great to set my own times but need more than 8 doses a day .

Reefahholic
10.05.2019, 17:04
Yep, i'm having the same problem. Would be so nice to have an option to add as many daily times (up to 150) like the automatic dosing.

I think I'm gonna run my Alk or Cal line to a different part of my sump to avoid precipitation or start the other dose for calcium at 3pm just after the Alk finishes. I start my 150/day automatic dosing at 3-4am when my pH is the lowest.

My question is how does the controller break up amount times? Every 5,10,15,30 45, minutes...etc.? I wanna know how it's calculated?

Vinny
13.05.2019, 21:05
@tonvol
You can use the Auto dosing option and select at what time you what the first dose of the day to occur for the selected pump. On the 2nd pump, set the starting dose far enough so that the dosages of both pumps do not overlap.

@Reefaholic
Dosage times are evenly split throughout the day based on how many times you tell the doser to run.
Example: 2 doses per day = Dose every 12 hrs ...12 doses per day = Dose every 2 hours... etc...

Reefahholic
13.05.2019, 22:40
@Reefaholic
Dosage times are evenly split throughout the day based on how many times you tell the doser to run.
Example: 2 doses per day = Dose every 12 hrs ...12 doses per day = Dose every 2 hours... etc...

Thx, for the clarification Vinny!

Reefahholic
13.05.2019, 22:53
@tonvol
You can use the Auto dosing option and select at what time you what the first dose of the day to occur for the selected pump. On the 2nd pump, set the starting dose far enough so that the dosages do not overlap.

Vinny...so say I set my Alk to dose Mon morning at 4am. So 24 hours later would be Tuesday Morning at 4am. Would I then set my calcium to drop starting at 4:10am Tuesday morning and have to separate them by 24 hour periods??

Or could they be set just 30 minutes apart and stay on a 30 minute “off-set” schedule?

Example: Start both on Monday morning. One drops at 4:00am and the other at 4:30am. Would this keep them staggered 30 minutes apart during the 24 hour period? Then they restart again on Tuesday morning at 4:00 and 4:30 am.?

Vinny
14.05.2019, 00:42
Example: Start both on Monday morning. One drops at 4:00am and the other at 4:30am. Would this keep them staggered 30 minutes apart during the 24 hour period? Then they restart again on Tuesday morning at 4:00 and 4:30 am.?

Yes, you got it!
Both begin on the same day, but their first dose of the day can be set to begin apart from each other.

Reefahholic
14.05.2019, 00:45
Perfect!

StephenZ
12.08.2019, 15:33
Hi,

Was the original question ever answered? I have two GHL Doser 2.1, and I am trying to set a more complex manual dosing schedule. I.e the automatic dosing regimen is not really applicable to my situation. Is there a way to do more than 8 manual doses a day per channel?

Thanks!

Reefahholic
12.08.2019, 18:44
Hi,

Was the original question ever answered? I have two GHL Doser 2.1, and I am trying to set a more complex manual dosing schedule. I.e the automatic dosing regimen is not really applicable to my situation. Is there a way to do more than 8 manual doses a day per channel?

Thanks!

Hi Stephen... unfortunately no. The only option is 8 manual doses or up 150x daily automatically.

Just stagger the doses and it’s about the same honestly unless you’re trying to dose only at night. In that cause it would be nice to have the ability to drop 75 doses in 12 hours. Or 50 doses in 8 hours.

StephenZ
12.08.2019, 22:04
I actually just got a response from GHL. They actually said that it is possible if I purchase a Profilux system... Seems like an expensive upgrade just to be able to add a slightly higher resolution in dosing...

Also Reefahholic, the reason why I don't want to use the automatic intervals is because I am using it to dose alkalinity. I run a 65 gallon system with a ton of SPS. The alkalinity consumption is super higher at day, and almost non-existant at night. Without dosing the system can easily consume alkalinity from 9dkh to 7dkh in a day. With only 8 time dosing during the day, it's almost impossible to keep the parameters stable the way I'd like it to be :/ Sure a 0.2dkh fluctuation every hour is probably not detrimental, but as the consumption increases that will eventually become as much as 1dkh every hour... Had I known this I may have opted for a different system. Seems like a pretty easy thing to patch. Can someone from GHL respond as to whether this is something that can be implemented? From a stability standpoint, being able to at least do 24 in a day would drastically improve the stability for those who are more experienced with setting up such systems...

Reefahholic
13.08.2019, 03:01
I actually just got a response from GHL. They actually said that it is possible if I purchase a Profilux system... Seems like an expensive upgrade just to be able to add a slightly higher resolution in dosing...

Also Reefahholic, the reason why I don't want to use the automatic intervals is because I am using it to dose alkalinity. I run a 65 gallon system with a ton of SPS. The alkalinity consumption is super higher at day, and almost non-existant at night. Without dosing the system can easily consume alkalinity from 9dkh to 7dkh in a day. With only 8 time dosing during the day, it's almost impossible to keep the parameters stable the way I'd like it to be :/ Sure a 0.2dkh fluctuation every hour is probably not detrimental, but as the consumption increases that will eventually become as much as 1dkh every hour... Had I known this I may have opted for a different system. Seems like a pretty easy thing to patch. Can someone from GHL respond as to whether this is something that can be implemented? From a stability standpoint, being able to at least do 24 in a day would drastically improve the stability for those who are more experienced with setting up such systems...

I run a 75/G system thatÂ’s SPS dominant and IÂ’m not having an issue keeping it stable within the 24 hr period using the automatic dosing at 150X per day. I hear what youÂ’re saying and I agree with you that more options would be great, but itÂ’s honestly working pretty well for me. I currently donÂ’t fluctuate much more than about 0.2-0.3 per 24 hrs. However, it would be a game changer if we could dose 75x in 12 hrs and pick AM or PM hours or even program 150 set times and dosing amounts during a 24 hr period.

One thing you might consider is dosing Kalk during the day since you said youÂ’re consuming more at that time. Or dripping it. I run Kalk on one of my GHL heads to keep pH up and decrease demand since itÂ’s very cheap to dose. This prevents me from burning through all my ESV B-Ionic too quickly.

BTW, sounds like you have a really nice packed tank. Can you post a pic?

StephenZ
13.08.2019, 14:22
I dose Triton, so everything is dosed based on alk. I've tried the 24hr period dosing but it ends up spiking my alk after running through the night.. and then over the day coming back to 8.0. Currently I have the 7 doses spread out over the day time and 1 at night time. Not ideal but it is stable enough for now.

Haha my tank isn't "packed" yet. But I suspect a couple of my pieces are draining my alk. I do have about 30+ acro frags that are now starting to take off. I'll take a picture once I get home!

Reefahholic
14.08.2019, 00:28
I dose Triton, so everything is dosed based on alk. I've tried the 24hr period dosing but it ends up spiking my alk after running through the night.. and then over the day coming back to 8.0. Currently I have the 7 doses spread out over the day time and 1 at night time. Not ideal but it is stable enough for now.

Haha my tank isn't "packed" yet. But I suspect a couple of my pieces are draining my alk. I do have about 30+ acro frags that are now starting to take off. I'll take a picture once I get home!

Ok. 👍🏼

Reefahholic
07.11.2020, 05:52
@Vinny

When do you guys expect an upgrade on the 2.1 SA pump?

I wanna buy another one soon, but would love to get an upgraded version. Not that the current version is bad, but I was wondering if they plan to add more dosing options to the manual dosing times or even the automatic dosing?