PDA

View Full Version : ION Director - measuring Ca + Mg

Matthias
20.03.2019, 17:50
We didn't want to announce our next product, the ION Director, before we have ALL facts, especially prices and availability, and all technical details, because announcing too early can lead to unnecessary pressure and dissatisfaction - so we tried to avoid that.

BUT: So many people who knew that we are working on a solution for measuring Calcium had been asking the last weeks, we felt that it is overdue to announce now at least the most important (and already firm) facts.

This is already clear about the ION Director:

will measure (at least) Calcium and Magnesium
no reagents, works with sensors (but still needs calibration fluid)
several measurements per day (customizable), no permanent measurement
needs a Doser Standalone, ProfiLux 3 or ProfiLux 4 as a "brain" for operation, connected over ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (similar principle as KH Director)
needs 2 or 3 pumps (still under development): sample in/out, calibration fluid in + out
can also control Ca and Mg (via changing dosing amounts or switching sockets)
small sample amount
self calibrating
usual features as for our other measurements: alarms, graphs, etc.
will be shown at Macna 2019
sales start November 2019

No final information about prices yet. No details about the probes resp. their lifetime can be announced at this point.
Our main goals are to have very accurate readings, long probe lifetime and reasonably priced replacement probes. We are working hard with our probe vendor on that.

Our tests are extremely promising, this is how it will look like (maybe changes in details):

More details ASAP.

Torxfragtank
20.03.2019, 18:30
So stoked about this. November can't come soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

mraporter
21.03.2019, 08:13
Will you be making 8 head dosing units anytime soon? :D

Torxfragtank
21.03.2019, 20:15
I have started doing some research and starting to become concerned with testing with what I can only assume to be ion selective electrodes. Any idea when additional information will be released and/or are there any Canadian beta testers, primarily looking at south western Ontario

DerekLeBlanc
23.03.2019, 15:43
Cant Wait

Liostar
23.03.2019, 22:55
Can’t wait to add this on my tank! Been very pleased with the KH Director and the P4.

Would be a great addition since I’m not always in the mood to test my parameters and a huge fan of automatisation.

Matthias
23.05.2019, 16:57
Quick status update:

Prototyping phase for electronics finished, design of the first release V1.00 completed, production of the preproduction series starts in 3 weeks. After our test of these boards there will probably be some finetuning, afterwards the first batch can be started. So at the moment we are absolutely on schedule.

I just ordered V1.00 boards (here a screenshot from my EDA system):

mraporter
23.05.2019, 17:01
That looks like a sexy circuit board :o

I know you will have many helpers, but if you do need any more real-world tester then you know where I am!

Regards
Andy

Torxfragtank
23.05.2019, 17:05
So excited for this release. Counting down.

coburn13
31.05.2019, 12:44
Hello, is it necessary to have the kh director to use the ION Director? Can you measure the kh with the ION Director?

thankyou and best regards

Torxfragtank
31.05.2019, 13:16
Hello, is it necessary to have the kh director to use the ION Director? Can you measure the kh with the ION Director?

thankyou and best regardsYou do not need a kh director or a Profilux for the ion. You just need the ION and a stand alone dosing pump. You can not use the ION to check kh as the ION uses probes and there is no way to test kh with electrodes. Kh is only tested with reagent.

Torxfragtank
12.07.2019, 23:40
Is there am update on the progress of the Ion. Can I leave it on my Christmas list?

PIWAWT
13.07.2019, 09:57
Facebook comment from GHL (translated)
News about our ION Director!
Prototype boards have arrived, components have been placed and soldered - the boards are working fine! We are getting super-precise results for calcium, magnesium and potassium, now we are working on other ions. Everything is on schedule for our release this fall. More details will follow shortly.

Torxfragtank
13.07.2019, 13:04
Facebook comment from GHL (translated)
News about our ION Director!
Prototype boards have arrived, components have been placed and soldered - the boards are working fine! We are getting super-precise results for calcium, magnesium and potassium, now we are working on other ions. Everything is on schedule for our release this fall. More details will follow shortly.Ironically I saw that post shortly after I posted here. I would have thought it was posted here first.

PIWAWT
13.07.2019, 14:59
I guess it was forgotten, normal is posted here first.

Ibireef
27.08.2019, 08:22
Today I saw a post on facebook, announcing the Ion on the next Reefpalooza. Mesuring ca, mg, k & No3 without reagents.

Is the final product? It won't measure po4?

Thanks

Dennisgubbels
02.09.2019, 18:17
Or will be possible after update ?

I hope PO4 will be added

Torxfragtank
03.09.2019, 00:34
Or will be possible after update ?

I hope PO4 will be addedThey are still working on po4. It is extremely tricky to measure it and instead of waiting for it they are releasing without it. You will be able to test up to 5 items

marcer
12.09.2019, 18:57
This seems to be great product every reef aquarist has been waiting for. Any hint when it will be available? Still planned in November? Any clue what the price could be?

doggydoc10
12.09.2019, 21:36
They have been talking about it for a while. Let’s hope it comes out before the end of the year.
I personally can’t wait as long as it’s the same quality of testing as the Director.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZfishkeeper
15.09.2019, 20:56
Rumor mill says that Reef A Palooza in Chicago might see an announcement.

JaviVG
18.09.2019, 11:48
I think "Apex put the price". Alk Ca Mg 600 dolars. (ApexTrident)

Liostar
28.09.2019, 17:01
Very excited for this one.
I do have a question on the controlling part.
I have the KH Director, using a dosing pump to supplement. I assume the Calcium and magnesium side will be the same thing on the ION Director.
But what about the nitrates?
Will there be a possibility to set up a min-max range where it could supplement nitrates if there’s too little AND dose a carbon source if there’s too much? Or would we need to make a choice?

I assume most people have too little or too much nitrates but what if you have too little but suddenly something causes a peak in nitrates?
Same with po4 if it gets supported

Just a fail safe measure :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

coburn13
01.10.2019, 13:49
Is ion going to measure Na? Why do we want NA? And PO4?

thanks

Liostar
01.10.2019, 14:10
Is ion going to measure Na? Why do we want NA? And PO4?

thanks

If I’m not wrong, measuring Natrium is useful when using balling methods. Because NaCl is a byproduct of the use of balling salts.

As for PO4, measuring in those small concentrations is difficult and they aren’t finding cost effective, long life span, affordable probes at the moment. (If I recall correctly from the R2R forum)

Still, Ca, Mg, K, NO3 and Na is a good step in the right direction.

I have trouble with colour changing tests, so this is wonderful for me :D

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

starmonkey77
18.12.2019, 13:10
Hi Guys,

Is there any updates on ION Director testing and release ETA?

Torxfragtank
18.12.2019, 13:35
It already started pre order

Torxfragtank
18.12.2019, 13:37
Hi Guys,

Is there any updates on ION Director testing and release ETA?https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/ion-director-automated-ca-mg-k-na-and-no3-testing-made-easy/

At the bottom is how to preorder

starmonkey77
18.12.2019, 13:41
Excellent, many thanks.

Mark hikin
07.01.2020, 15:00
With the ion director, using the sa 2.1 doser , will it also dose ca and mg with just the 1 sa 2.1 doser , how many pumps will.the ion director use

AZfishkeeper
07.01.2020, 15:03
With the ion director, using the sa 2.1 doser , will it also dose ca and mg with just the 1 sa 2.1 doser , how many pumps will.the ion director use

The Ion uses all 4 heads for sampling and testing. If you want to dose you will need an additional doser.
1. Water sample
2. Cal fluid A
3. Cal fluid B
4. Drain

Mark hikin
08.01.2020, 12:34
The Ion uses all 4 heads for sampling and testing. If you want to dose you will need an additional doser.
1. Water sample
2. Cal fluid A
3. Cal fluid B
4. Drain
Hi I would like to ask , I have the kh director and a doser2 sa connected to it , I also have a doser sa 2.1 , I want to get a ion director, can I connect it to the kh director or would I need to buy another slave doser to dose ca and mg .

Torxfragtank
08.01.2020, 14:01
Hi I would like to ask , I have the kh director and a doser2 sa connected to it , I also have a doser sa 2.1 , I want to get a ion director, can I connect it to the kh director or would I need to buy another slave doser to dose ca and mg .

The kh director uses 3 heads. The Ion uses 4 heads.

You would need additional heads if you want to dose on top of that.

chema61
24.01.2020, 20:37
Related to these questions. If I want to dose Ca and Mg in a way regulated by the Ion Director, do I need a new doser 2.0 or 2.1, or the old generation dosers are OK?

Thilo
27.01.2020, 14:28
This will also be possible with the old slave dosing units, since you can set a dosing pump as a switch channel function.