PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Firmware

Shadoww
14.01.2010, 04:25
I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight. I have tried connecting to my P3 from two different laptops, using USB I have the ports set to the same number in both device manager and in Profilux Control and yet it will not connect. I have also tried it through serial using a USB to Serial adapter, also with no luck, I once again have the com port numbers set to the same thing. I am going crazy, I need to do the firmware upgrade and yet I cannot seem to connect in either of the ways that I need to, to do the upgrade. My network connection to the Profilux is working great, I can connect and I can get to the web page, but for the life of me I cannot get Serial or USB to work. ANY IDEAS?

mshur
14.01.2010, 05:21
I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight. I have tried connecting to my P3 from two different laptops, using USB I have the ports set to the same number in both device manager and in Profilux Control and yet it will not connect. I have also tried it through serial using a USB to Serial adapter, also with no luck, I once again have the com port numbers set to the same thing. I am going crazy, I need to do the firmware upgrade rade your and yet I cannot seem to connect in either of the ways that I need to, to do the upgrade. My network connection to the Profilux is working great, I can connect and I can get to the web page, but for the life of me I cannot get Serial or USB to work. ANY IDEAS?

I didnt do upgrage yet, but i think you need to use RS cable to upgrage your firmware..

GHL Support
14.01.2010, 08:24
Connect via USB or via USB to serial adapter works in the same way:

- ProfiLux is running and the init messages on the display are gone
- Plug in the USB cable or USB to serial adapter to the ProfiLux
- connect the cable to your PCs USB Port
- figure out the port number of the USB COM in the device manager - don't change
- Make a "New..." connection with

Name: USB - for example
Type of connection: RS232/USB
COM: port number of USB COM
Baud: 9600
Device address: 1

...and "Save"

Now you should be able to connect to the ProfiLux

A firmware update is possible via ProfiLux3 onboard RS232 port or onboard USB port. Only if you are forced to use the FR flasher software after a broken update you must use the RS232 port.

Hint: Not every USB to serial Adapter works with the ProfiLux

Shadoww
14.01.2010, 15:09
Yes I have done those steps and I am still unable to connect. I have also done the search for port and it does not find it. I am wondering if there is something physically wrong with my unit, since I am unable to connect either way. I have also tried changing the baud rate both up and down and no luck.

Matthias, is there any diagnostic method to see if the board is working correctly?

aqua_digital
15.01.2010, 20:21
Hi,

I need some diagnostics from you.

1. With profilux connected and switched on go to device manager and look under Serial LPT port for ProfiLic driver, iff it shows up then the PC is seeing the connection of the ProfiLux

2. Obvious question - make sure com ports match both in PL and Device manager

3. If no connection then, connect over LAN to your router, does this work?

The assumption would be if the device is being found by the dreiver and you can connect over LAN the card is then working and it is being port blocked on your PC or lap top.

In this case try USB adapter to RS232.

Shadoww
15.01.2010, 20:54
Hi,

Ok,

1. I find the Profilic serial port without a problem and can change the Com port that it is on.

2. They match and I have moved up and down the range, with both matching.

3. Still no connection, I can connect to the Profilux over the LAN with no problems through multiple switches.

4. I have tried a USB to Serial cable, I have borrowed another laptop that has a serial port built in, so I am going to test that tonight. I know not every USB to serial adapter will work, this is why I am going to try the laptop with direct Serial connection.

aqua_digital
15.01.2010, 21:53
Hi

serial to serial will work I am very confident but we do need to try if at all possible USB to serial this will then determine if it is the card of the PC, if it conects via USB to serial there is a possibility that the USB part of the card is not working.

However i do have another client with an exact mirror image of your issue in every single respect and am thinking it is more PC related becuase to have two support cases so identical I have never come across as yet.

Shadoww
15.01.2010, 23:47
I would be more than happy to help with diagnosing the problem.

I have used the IOGear GUC232A USB to Serial adapter and its supplied drivers but that one did not seem to work either. I get a flashing activity light on the device but Profilux control will not connect no matter what COM port I set both items to.

I am running Windows XP on my machine and My wifes computer is running Windows Vista, both had the same results. I may go this weekend and purchase a different brand of USB to Serial adapter to see if that one can connect.

I don't know if it is relevant but when I did my hardware upgrade I just put everything in the case and then powered it up and activated the EX part. What I mean by this is I did not do only the main circuit boards, power on then take down and put in the EX board, power on, then take down and add the USB & network card and then power up for the last time.

aqua_digital
15.01.2010, 23:51
Are you running the same firewall and anti Virus?

If you can not connect using the adapter i am leaning towards PC related.

I assume you are using the latest ProfiLic driver? sorry if you have already answered that.

aqua_digital
15.01.2010, 23:53
http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Download/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.zip

Shadoww
15.01.2010, 23:55
Actually no firewall on either and I have to use Symantic on my work machine and my wife uses NOD antivirus.

I am using the latest Profilic driver on both.

aqua_digital
15.01.2010, 23:57
Ok lets concentrate on just one machine, the vista machine (oh help me please :()

Make sure windows defender is off and any other anti virus and try again.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 00:01
Ok I will give that a try as soon as I get home. I will post the results as soon as I can.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 01:09
Ok I uninstalled the USB driver and then reinstalled it after making sure it was the most current one.

I dissabled AntiVirus and Windows Defender. I also made sure that the firewall was off. With the same results, when I plug in the Profilux by USB cable my computer assigns the driver to that port, in my case Prolific is on Com port 19. When I went into Profilux Control I deleted the old connection and created a new one setting it to Com port 19 and then tried connecting and it still would not connect. It states no connection found. I also searched the Com ports, no luck here either.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 01:13
Running out of ideas fast :(

The only thing left to ask is -

Did the ProfiLux ever have a USB device fitted previous to this i.e PLM-USB?

Are you running same firmware version to software i.e Version 5.0H to 5.05? I am guessing you have the previous versions but please let me know

Do you have a pc with native rs232 connection so you can upload latest versions of software and firmware?

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 01:25
Running out of ideas fast

Your not the only one.

The Profilux did not have the USB prior to this.

I am running ProfiluxControl version 5.0.0.5 and I am trying to install firmware 5.0H

Do you have a pc with native rs232 connection so you can upload latest versions of software and firmware?

Well this is not good, I have another laptop with RS232 connection and ProfiluxControl cannot even see it with a direct RS232 connection. This is frustrating.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 01:26
One very last thing I would like you to try is to plug in your adapter to the serial port and follow these instructions http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=1274 remembering to set the enviroment to match the com port the driver is on under device manager and also selecting the correct file dowload type in the top box that is mentioned in the instructions.

I woud like you to try and install Version 5.0H firmware under this enviroment.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 01:28
Ok if you have native rs232 then connect the tool through this and the environment will be com 1

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 01:29
Assuming you are using a genuine GHL RS232 cable and you still cannot connect through native to native RS232 even through the flash tool then something has happened to your main board.

Do you have Ai lighting?

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 01:41
Ok that seems to have allowed me to flash the firmware when I rebooted the screen on the Profilux stated it was firmware version 5.0h but I think I lost all of my settings as I cannot connect to it over the LAN now. I will have to check the front panel settings.

Yes this was all due to the AI fixtures, since the new communication was built into the original firmware and I needed the old communications for my fixtures.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 01:44
Ok to confirm you have now successfully uploaded version 5.0H firmware to your profilux using the tool?

If yes then please uninstall software version 5.04 and install 5.05

Yes you will lose all your settings this is documented on the release notes.

Once 5.05 is installed try and reconnect via USB to USB first

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 01:45
This shows that the PC RS232 port and ProfiLux RS232 is working fine and was not the reason for not being able to connect through profiLux control.

The only part in the middle then is ProfiLux V5.04 software as you were able to connect through RS232 to do the download when PL5.04 was not used. I am guessing you now may be able to connect through USB once you install V5.05.

Hoping?!!

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 04:19
Ok I guess the frustration is not complete for tonight.

I just got back from dinner and tried uninstalling all versions of ProfiluxControl that I have on my machine, I reinstalled the USB drivers and Installed ProfiluxControl version 5.0.0.5 and tried connecting over USB, to no avail. I match Com ports and tried other ones, changed and match speeds to see if that was it, still no connection.

So I went back to the LAN based, however now it does not connect either. I have changed the Lan settings on the Profilux and I am able to get to the Webserver as I can see the status pages. When I go into ProfiluxControl if I go into the network settings, it will scan for it if I have it set to AUTO and it finds it, comes up with the correct IP address. When I click on Connect back at the start screen, it pauses and then bounces back with cannot connect.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 04:24
make sure you have selected the connection for LAN connection in the connect drop down box next to the 3 dots.

If you can see the status page then it is connecting and all working

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 04:27
I did and even checked all of the settings and even hard coded the IP address, still it fails to connect.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 04:28
Also tried it on two different laptops, again cause at this point I feel like I am going CRAZY. No luck from either machine.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 04:31
Seems that my settings did not get erased though, everything came on when it was supposed to, but the System web pages states that it is in fact firmware 5.00h.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 04:38
This is why I had asked to be a beta tester, as I am one of those people that if something is going to go wrong it will happen to the equipment I have. I am a Network Admin, so all of this should be a piece of cake, but for some reason the unit I have has been nothing but difficult with this upgrade process.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 04:47
Ok, I powered the Profilux off again gave it about 45 seconds and then plugged it back in, and when it came back up the IP address changed and now I am able to connect to it with Profilux control. I guess the Network Admin should have taken his own advice, Always REBOOT before asking for help.

So at this point the firmware has been upgraded and everything seems to be working correctly. Thank you for all of your help, I appreciate it.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 04:50
Ah I love it when a support case can be worked through in such a positive way.

I am glad i could be of help.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 05:00
I am still wondering though why the USB is not connecting.

Hopefully all of this gave you some insight about the other person that is having the same issue. Hopefully he has a computer with a direct serial port.

aqua_digital
16.01.2010, 14:25
Yes I still wonder this too, my only thoughts this

Previously you or my other client could not connect through RS232 or USB using V5.04. By using the Fujitsu tool we ruled out the RS232 port on the PC being faulty and also a USB blockage on the PC as you had to use both types of connection to connect to the Fujitsu tool.

But this then leaves the USB to USB to profiLux control- I hoped that by updating the firmware and software this problem would have gone away.

So we have ruled out PC USB being the issue, but we have also seen that the ProfiLux communicated with the driver over USB it just will not connect. And for this I have no answer, all I know is you are not alone, I see a similar issue with a client in the USA and one on the German side of the forum also which also limits the risk of anything being faulty. I do think this is software related to PL control but I am no expert.

In my view we have narrowed it down to the software in some enviroments blocking the connection, but without having the card here to play with it will be impossible to diagnose further.

Over to Matthias for further suppport I am out of ideas on the remaining issue, but personally could also do with knowing the answer.

Shadoww
16.01.2010, 23:23
Maybe Matthias will have some additional insight.

I did want to say thank you again, I was beggining to get crazy with the inability to get the firmware upgraded. You walked through every possible solution and finally got the job done. Thank you for the great customer support.

I am having another slight issue, but I will start another thread for it, since it is unrelated to this topic.

GHL Support
19.01.2010, 13:16
Hi Shadoww,

what's the actual state of affairs? Were you able to update the firmware now?

Are you still not able to connect to ProfiLux with ProfiLux Control?
Neither via ProfiLux USB port to PC USB port,
nor via ProfiLux RS232 port to PC RS232 port?

I sounds very strange, if both connections wont work. The RS232 connection ist the most reliable connection if you use the genuine GHL RS232 cable.

If only the USB to USB connection fails, it may be a problem with the USB part of the PLM-USBLAN. Can you figure out if your card inserted properly? No bent or torn off pins?