PDA

View Full Version : LAN Connection Trouble

weese3
13.01.2010, 04:27
I am having a world of trouble getting my profilux to connect through my LAN card, and my Computer does not have a 9 PIN serial port on it.... Profilux recogizes the card, PC software was locating it but not connecting, and now I have managed to get it to not even see the LAN anymore.... The LAn tutorial was almost useless to me, so if there is anyone that can help, please do :-)

Adam

P.S. I am a truck driver, not a PC guy :-) so baby steps are best lol

weese3
13.01.2010, 05:01
OK so I got a Serial to USB cable, loaded the driver for it, and looky there I can now connect through the serial port.... Now how do I configure it to see the LAN card?

GHL Support
13.01.2010, 08:06
OK, let's go...

First thing we must know is: what ProfiLux are we talking about?
Perhaps a ProfiLux Plus 2?
Second, how do you connect the ProfiLux to the LAN? Do you connect it to a router (box connected to the internet and PC)?
What operation system are you using?

weese3
13.01.2010, 13:32
It is a Profilux Plus II EX, I am using Windows Vista, and I am trying to connect through a router.

Thanks

Adam

GHL Support
13.01.2010, 15:10
Ok Adam,

I assume that your PLM-LAN is proppely installed into the ProfiLux and the ProfiLux is running. The control LEDs of the routers port (where The ProfiLux connected to) and the LAN Module LEDs are glowing.

First you must know if you are using fixed IP address on your network, or if you use DHCP.

Start the command line:
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:
Type the following command:
IPCONFIG /ALL

Then you can see your PC's IP address, your subnet mask, gateway address and if DHCP is enabled...

For example:
DHCP active: yes
IP address: 192.168.1.10
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.1.1

In this case DHCP is enabled (most common). If no DHCP enabled, you must set the IP address matching to your network...

With DHCP the rest is easy:
Connect to your ProfiLux with ProfiLuxControl via your USB to serial adapter cable, go to System and select LAN and click to "Configuration... "
Select "Obtain IP-address automatocally" and click to "Save".
Disconnect and click the "..." located in Communication.
Make a "New..." connection with
Name: LAN (DHCP) - for example
Type of connection: TCP/IP
Host-Name: Search automatically
Port: 10001
and "Save"

Select the Lan connection and try to "Connect"

weese3
17.01.2010, 18:42
Ok so after going out on a run to Arkansas and taking a break form my frustrations, I borrowed a friends LAN card(not using) plugged it in, and using all the great info Boboxx provided me with the other day it hooked up right away :-) I put my LAN back in and couldn't make a connection, replaced it again with the other card, and away it went with no problem... So now that i have figured out my faulty LAN card problem I figured I would do a Firmware upgrade.... Here we go agian.....

I downloaded the latest version, unzipped it and used profilux control to start the update.. I select yes on the front of the Profilux and it says downloading, but when I click the OK button on my PC screen it aborts the download everytime :-(

Adam

aqua_digital
17.01.2010, 20:46
You can not do firmware updates over LAN, you need to get your serial connection connected.

Presuming you have installed the driver and the profilux is atached to the serial device to your pc, go to device manager and locate the driver under serial ports, take a note of the COM port it is on.

Now go to the connection tab in profilux control and set the com tab to match this then save. Come out of the edit dilaogue boxes, and select I think what will be connection one and then try and connect.

Failing that GHL will give you step by step instructions tomorrow.

weese3
17.01.2010, 21:10
I am using the RS232 cable and connecting with no problem, except when I try to do a Firmware update. I follow the instructions to a T, but when I select yes on the Profilux Controller and then click OK on my PC it says dowload aborted right away :-(

Adam

aqua_digital
17.01.2010, 21:22
Ok two threads running getting confused will answer everything on the other thread.

GHL Support
18.01.2010, 08:22
Hi Adam,

did you use the ProfiLux-Ser cable on the RS232 port (RS232 to RS232)? Or do you connect via a RS232 to USB Adapter?
You should know, there are aditional signals on the the ProfiLux RS232 port! Therefore you can't use a standard RS232 cable, you must use the ProfiLux-Ser. Otherwise the ProfiLux or PC can get damaged or other inexplicable things could happen.

aqua_digital
18.01.2010, 14:15
He used genuine RS232 cable supplied by me ;)

capri
19.01.2010, 02:44
Can "HomePlugs" be used to connect Profilux to a router?

GHL Support
19.01.2010, 08:33
You mean Powerline adapters? They should work, if you are able to make a connection to the router.

Some notes about Powerline:
In my experience not every socket can be used, because Powerline adapters cannot talk accross phases, if your house connected to three-phase grid.