PDA

View Full Version : Optical level sensor lifetime

Aufgedyng
19.10.2018, 07:37
Hi,

I have a few Profilux 3 devices that use the optical level sensor. My problem is that they seem to fail after a year or two getting stuck in
the trigged position so it no longer detects a drop in water level and start my pump.

I clean the surface of it weekly. I'm on number two now that failed after about the same period. Is this normal? Is there any way I can test
the sensor function disconnected from the profilux?

Any help appreciated.

--Mats

Vinny
19.10.2018, 19:30
Hello Mats,

The lifetime of these kind of sensors not only depend on maintenance and cleaning habits, but also sensor placement. Areas where bio-films may develop can have an effect on the reaction of the sensor. The sensor should typically be kept in the darkest area of the sump to limit the extent of buildup on the sensor.

You can test the reaction of the sensor by dipping it in and out of the water. Observe the states and reaction section in the LEVEL settings page. You will see an (X) mark appear and disappear as you move the sensor in and out of water.

Aufgedyng
20.10.2018, 07:05
Thanks for you reply.

I know how to test it with my controller but I would also like to know if there is a way to test it without it to rule out any bad connections or cable problems.

--Mats

Matthias
20.10.2018, 08:45
Hi

it is hard to say if there is a malfunction and if so what the malfunction can cause. Reading your description it seems your sensor is quite old, when you can observe a malfunction "every 1 or 2 years".
As a precaution I would replace the sensor rather than investing too much time in diagnosis, which may be without result at the end.

The sensors are completely filled with epoxy and the cable entrance is sealed with a heatshrink tube and additional glue, more sealing is just not possible.

Details about lifespan and warranty of sensors can be read here:

https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/profilux-accessories/ghl-sensors/