PDA

View Full Version : ProfiLux 3: What to do in the case a firmware update failed

Matthias
20.12.2009, 17:51
if the update with ProfiLuxControl failed it is possible to update with another tool

1. download http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=48
2. save it somewhere you will find it, no installation required
3. start "flash.exe"
4. select "MB91F467D" as controller, 4MHz, navigate to the firmware file (click "open")
5. check the interface (under "set environment")
6. disconnect ProfiLux 3 from power (it is not necessary to open the enclosure and to set a jumper like it was ProfiLux II!)
7. now click "full operation" - ProfiLux still has no power!
8. plug in the DC-connector - ProfiLux has now power again and the download should start

Hint: If the update with ProfiLuxControl failed then there is maybe something wrong with your connection from PC to ProfiLux 3. Please ensure that your connection is stable and reliable before attempting to update with ProfiLuxControl or this tool, e.g. check the USB driver and update it if possible.

Here you find the detailed manual for flashing the firmware:
http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=16

Bigman
20.12.2009, 18:54
When i use flashtool i get a box saying "Please push RESET BUTTON on user board"

What to do ?

/Bigman

boboxx
20.12.2009, 19:19
Step 8...

8. plug in the DC-connector - ProfiLux has now power again and the download should start

Bigman
20.12.2009, 21:58
If i do exactly as above i first get ERROR !! NO.006 Unable to open COM port. Nothing more happens.

If i with power on click "full operation" then i get box saying "Please push RESET BUTTON on user board"
If i then power off and on again either noting happen er pc crach.

I tryed several times now.

Usb driver is the recent on PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.
Before the upgrade the connection was stable and reliable.

What to do ?

/Bigman

aqua_digital
21.12.2009, 04:18
You have to plug the power back in within 1 to 2 seconds of pressing the full operation button, also make sure you have set the enviroment i.e make sure you have set the download tool to match your USB com port

Bigman
21.12.2009, 09:10
You have to plug the power back in within 1 to 2 seconds of pressing the full operation button, also make sure you have set the enviroment i.e make sure you have set the download tool to match your USB com port

The port is matching.
I have tryed to do it fast within 1 to 2 sec. and slow same result.

What to do now ?
Do i have to send it back for repair to get it working again ?
If so how long do repair take ?

Matthias
22.12.2009, 08:24
switching the power off and on produces a reset in the ProfiLux 3, after this reset the ProfiLux listens for 2 seconds if there comes a new firmware from this tool

maybe the reset is not as clear as expected or you loose the USB-connection during this reset

there is this solution:
- open the housing
- ProfiLux has power (and the power is not removed during the following!)
- plug a jumper on the 2pin-header on the ProfiLux-Front PCB (there is only one place where a jumper can be plugged) - ProfiLux is now in reset state
- click "full operation"
- now remove this jumper in the next 2 seconds - the reset condition ends and the download starts

Bigman
22.12.2009, 19:15
switching the power off and on produces a reset in the ProfiLux 3, after this reset the ProfiLux listens for 2 seconds if there comes a new firmware from this tool

maybe the reset is not as clear as expected or you loose the USB-connection during this reset

It looses the USB-connection

there is this solution:
- open the housing
- plug a jumper on the 2pin-header on the ProfiLux-Front PCB (there is only one place where a jumper can be plugged) - ProfiLux is now in reset state
- click "full operation"
- now remove this jumper in the next 2 seconds - the reset condition ends and the download starts

When i remove the jumper notning happen, how long to waite ?
Waitet about 5 minutes tried again and again notning happen.

Matthias
22.12.2009, 19:21
Download must start immediately after removing jumper

you do exactly this?:
click "full operation"
then you see the dialog with "please push reset button"
now you remove the jumper
and ProfiLux had power all the time

Bigman
22.12.2009, 19:25
Download must start immediately after removing jumper

you do exactly this?:
click "full operation"
then you see the dialog with "please push reset button"
now you remove the jumper
and ProfiLux had power all the time

Just exactly and the box "please push reset button" stays on the screen after removing the jumper.

Matthias
22.12.2009, 19:27
can you try the firmware recovery with the RS232-port?

Bigman
22.12.2009, 19:28
Tried on 2 different pc.
One Vista and the other XP

Matthias
22.12.2009, 19:30
with RS232 (not USB)?

Bigman
22.12.2009, 19:30

I dont have the special cabel, I can use an ordinary modem cabel

millenniumpilot
22.12.2009, 19:53
Hi,

i can´t flash my ProfiluxIII with USB too. It hangs. Only flash with RS232 was the solution.

Greetings
Dirk

Bigman
22.12.2009, 21:00

Done it with an ordinary RS232-cabel.

Now i up and running again. :-)

It is a relief it is working again, now im real happy.
The fish to i thing.

Matthias thanks for the help and quick reply´s

/Bigman

tomcoleman
02.01.2010, 00:29
Just flashed using this method and it's brought my ghl back to life searching around and Reading seems there are a few people with update issues

frank40
06.01.2010, 20:12
I just upgraded to P3 and everything went smoothly until i tried flashing the firmware and now my P3 will not come back on. I have tried the flash tool and i always end up stuck with: Please push reset button on user board. when i unplug and replug it in, the backlights on my board come on but i have nothing on the LCD display.

Any other solution? i am about ready to re-install P2 hardware

aqua_digital
06.01.2010, 21:18
Sounds like you are selecting OK on the pc screen before selecting yes to download on the profilux.

frank40
06.01.2010, 21:24
my lcd screen is not on so i am not touching the profilux, the only thing i am doing is unplugging and plugging it back in when i get the reset message on my pc

aqua_digital
06.01.2010, 21:27
so you are using the flash tool?

Ok if so, there is a very small window you have of time to apply power to get the reset.

Switch controller off

Press the full operation tab and immediatly re apply power.

frank40
06.01.2010, 21:33
yes, i read the original post about unplugging and plugging it back in and i still at the reset the board on the flash tool. i find this very frustrating. i am re-installing the P2 hardware as i cannot spend all day working on this.

aqua_digital
06.01.2010, 21:49
I guess you are doing this over USB.

I will ask matthias to help you sounds like you need the slower flash tool.

frank40
06.01.2010, 21:57
yes i am using USB for flashing as my laptop does not have RS232

dr.dotti
07.01.2010, 07:30
I think you can not use the internal USB of the PL and the flash tool.
The flash tool works only with an externen USB to RS232 converter.

Matthias
07.01.2010, 08:40
dr.dotti is right - the Flash FR update tool works only on the RS232 port
try the recovery on another PC which has RS232 or use a USB-RS232 converter (some converters are really bad - converters with Prolifi or FTDI chipset work best)

frank40
08.01.2010, 15:28
is there a particular brand name for said USB/232 converters?

tomcoleman
08.01.2010, 15:29
my lcd screen is not on so i am not touching the profilux, the only thing i am doing is unplugging and plugging it back in when i get the reset message on my pc

i had the issue where the profilux was dead no lcd no nothing thought it was dead

Then used the flasher tool and it came back to life :eek:

frank40
08.01.2010, 19:27
i just got the power adapter in and proceeded with the flashing the firmware on a USB-RS232 adapter and my P3 is finally up and running

cerreta
05.02.2010, 06:00
I too had some major problems here. I wanted to give an update on the issues I encountered and what solved it.

I used a Belkin F5U409-CU USB to Serial adapter. The software is not Windows 7 compatible. I even went to Belkin website and it is not available yet.

I then used another machine with XP. When selecting the Full Operation button, I got another error code. I hit the download button then the dialog box to plug in power cord came up. It finished, but screen was still black.

Then I had to disconnect power cord. Now, all those buttons became available: Erase, Download, Blank Check, Program and verify, etc. I then selected the Full operation button and it uploaded the latest 5.0k firmware.

But, the screen was still black. I then disconnected the power cord and removed adapter. Plugged power cord back in and the Profilux came to life with new firmware.

I hope this information eases somebody’s pain. :cool:

Matthias
05.02.2010, 10:21
thanks for sharing your experience!
We know that some USB-RS232-converters are just not working with every hardware, that makes it sometimes not easy for us to give support when connection problems occur.

yes, ProfiLux must reboot (power off/on) after updating the firmware with the recovery tool

Blahenazo
05.03.2010, 14:24
Just to let you know it worked for me via the Serial , usb was not possible.

All hail to serial !!!!

capri
19.03.2010, 13:23
Failed in firmware upgrade. Proceeded as instructed but when resetting P3 failed to power up. Plugged and unplugged many times. No power.

Matthias
19.03.2010, 14:04
Proceeded as instructed but when resetting P3 failed to power up

what do you mean? After resetting the P3 in download mode all lights are off. This is normal.

subshop
03.04.2010, 23:04
I tried using the flash and it asks to specifythe hex file???

aqua_digital
03.04.2010, 23:08
The HEX file is the file you wish to upload, the new firmware file

1. download http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Download/Flash-FR.zip
3. start "flash.exe"
4. select "MB91F467D" as controller, 4MHz, navigate to the firmware file (click "open")
6. disconnect ProfiLux 3 from power (it is not necessary to open the enclosure and to set a jumper like it was ProfiLux II!)

Hint: If the update with ProfiLuxControl failed then there is maybe something wrong with your connection from PC to ProfiLux 3. Please ensure that your connection is stable and reliable before attempting to update with ProfiLuxControl or this tool, e.g. check the USB driver and update it if possible.

subshop
04.04.2010, 03:23
i realize that but when I run the FLASH software the line that says HEX file is blank!

aqua_digital
04.04.2010, 03:26
install fware to desktop then press open on the hex file and select the fware you have just dowloaded to your desk top

Gobie74
06.04.2010, 12:20
I had to bring my profilux to work to get access to a serial port after updating over usb failed. Appears to be working now, although I don't know how I'm going to update it again in the future :(

aqua_digital
06.04.2010, 12:49
This is what you do

http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=2007

Gobie74
06.04.2010, 13:06
I read that after posting my reply, I'm going to give that a try when I get home while everything is disconnected anyway to see how it works. I can always bring the profilux back to work to reflash if it fails, but based on what i've read, I don't think it will.

ffeyel
15.06.2010, 18:32

there is this solution:
- open the housing
- click "full operation"

Hello, for info,

I had to follow these steps (ie including opening the box) to low-level flash a Profilux 3eX. It looks like windows is taking too much time to create the virtual device (COMX) when the profilux is swtched on, causing the FR software to fail.

The advantage of opening the housing is that power is always on when the FR soft is run.

freemchr
18.12.2010, 05:06
Tried to upload the latest firmware today. Half way through it it said that communication failure and disconnected. Now the Profilux turns on with nothing on the screen. I have tried to have the USB connected and then attempt the reflash however the USB does not come on in time. Have opened up the unit left it on and followed the instructions above, now get a Download Failed 001 error message. Any ideas? I need to get this running ASAP.

freemchr
18.12.2010, 06:34
Managed to get it working with a RS232 cable. Just wondering after the flash do I need to recalibrate the probes?

Blahenazo
18.12.2010, 14:24
yes or reload the sensor date of you previous FW if you have 5.xx now you can't load 4.XX data or it will be FUBAR.

if you have PAB devies first do a pab reset and realloction of the pab devices before you reload the sensordata / settings

slovan
27.01.2011, 01:03
I just tried updating my firmware to 5.05f via RS232 cable and it prompted me with an error. I tried to follow the hyperlink on the 1st page of this thread but the link is broken. Can someone provide good links to downloads and better directions?

GHL Support
27.01.2011, 11:33
If you mean the link to the Flasher, you can also download it here: http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/german/section.php?sid=7
Be sure that you use the original serial cable of GHL.

turaki tim
28.03.2011, 14:09
Hi team - tried to upload the latest version of your software via a USB connection yesterday and it failed.... Need to flash again...

Question : does the flash need to happen via a RS232 cable or does it also work through a USB connection with the Profilux 3?

Thanks

GHL Support
29.03.2011, 09:07
You need the original RS232 cable or a serial/USB adapter + RS232 cable for the flasher.

stripestheeel
06.06.2011, 04:40
You need the original RS232 cable or a serial/USB adapter + RS232 cable for the flasher.

I am trying with the serial/USB adapter but it is not recognising it on any of the COMMS ports. My system has been down for almost 6 hours now.

I seem to establish a connection with the USB but I get the message saying press RESET on the unit, nothing is coming up on the unit or the PC.

I am starting to get worried.

stripestheeel
06.06.2011, 07:49
I am trying with the serial/USB adapter but it is not recognising it on any of the COMMS ports. My system has been down for almost 6 hours now.

I seem to establish a connection with the USB but I get the message saying press RESET on the unit, nothing is coming up on the unit or the PC.

I am starting to get worried.

I fixed it! YAY!

samyueru
25.11.2011, 16:57
This is absolutely unacceptable. I paid a lot for this device and I'm CONSTANTLY fighting hardware battles - vortechs not working right, etc.

I just tried to update to the new 5.11 firmware and it crashed. Now, I can't reflash it because I don't have a USB to SERIAL cable (nor can I find one ANYWHERE), and my laptop has no serial cable connection. Now I have a useless box and my lights aren't dimming down nor is my vortech connection working. This is insanely frustrating and I'm really thinking of jumping to the neptune controller - this has been frustration after frustration.

I don't mean to come down on you guys like this, but it's sooooo frustrating. Is there STILL no software that works with USB? Who even uses serial anymore!?

I totally feel like this piece of hardware is 1990's hardware at 2011 prices.

aqua_digital
25.11.2011, 17:18
I understand your frustration, however there is a very positive reason why RS232 is the more stable download option.

ALL large system controllers use RS232 due to its very stable ability to download data, home automation systems still rely on RS232 for this same reason, same as car engine management systems. Look at GHL as not a basic aquarium controller but an automation system. You mention Neptune, the product has very little comparsion to GHL other than its use in aquariums.

My advise would be to get cheap USB to RS232 converter and you will never have issues like this again.

For the USA market we are looking at supplying these with kits but this is about 3 months away.

samyueru
25.11.2011, 17:22
Thanks for listening to my vent and having some patience. I know i'll stay with my p3 anyway, but it's just irritating and I'm in a bad mood today! I didn't really have time to go out and find a converter - I live in the middle of nowhere.

Okay, well, I'm going out to buy one, I'll let you know how I fare.

Thanks,
-A

aqua_digital
25.11.2011, 18:03
Try and get one that comes with its own driver disk this is a sign of better quality, some out there are simply made to make you go grey!

Blahenazo
25.11.2011, 19:06
I have a sweex serial to usb and it works.

Also be happy we have this way of recovering, imagine you have to send back your device to get it repaired from a failed flash

samyueru
26.11.2011, 01:20
Yeah, I'm glad there's a way to do it, but still a little annoyed that a program wasn't developed for USB to do it, even if USB isn't as "good" as serial for that.

BUT, I did make an hour long drive to staples and picked up a usb-serial cable and it looks like it's working. ($40!!! ugh) I'm just glad I haven't started using my GHL to control temp & top offs, because I'm not sure what I would have done in that case!

What I do appreciate is the very rapid replies I got to this, I'm glad you guys are here for emergencies! (and, in other news, the new software 5112 fixed the vortech problem I was having!

Again, thanks for listening to my grouchiness and helping me out.

Wirus
26.11.2011, 12:19
Yeah, I'm glad there's a way to do it, but still a little annoyed that a program wasn't developed for USB to do it, even if USB isn't as "good" as serial for that.

To explain this a little bit for you:

A serial connect is very easy to implement - you need two pins you can switch on and off - and that´s it. This is very easy and with low effort to implement, even for a microcontroller. Against that, USB connect with its handshake and defined levels is really "high level programming". So coompare serial with USB connection is like to compare a scooter with a Rolls Royce.

To be on safe side, there is a very small programm saved inside the controller of the PL you can´t delete or alter, called "Bootloader". Normally it does nothing but giving control to the high level firmware at startup. But if there is no or a corrupt high level firmware, it´s possible to advice that boatloader to get a new firmware and store it in place of the not working one.

So you musn´t see that opion as an anarchic step back but as what it is: An nearly under all circumstances possible option to recover your PL3, regardless if there was a power drop during update, a mishandling or anything else result in dead device.

Only my 2cent:
Normally it´s not neccessary to have a serial port and the GHL serial cable, but in my opinion you should have reachable the software , cable and advice how to do it whenever you perform a firmware update. It may happen anything unforseen during normal update and then you are happy to have that possibility in reach.

Franklin
06.12.2011, 18:20
Software not in download center?

if the update with ProfiLuxControl failed it is possible to update with another tool

1. download http://www.aquariumcomputer.com/Download/Flash-FR.zip
3. start "flash.exe"

Wirus
06.12.2011, 19:06
No need to double post that. It is still there: http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=48

BigAl07
06.12.2011, 21:01
Sorry to bother you with this: link was given by GHL themselves, so i'm just follwoing instruction from my posted serve ticket, sorry. thanks though for correct info.

Often times "Common Solutions" are provided in the format of what's called "Canned Reply". This makes it quicker, simpler and more accurate to help people with common problems rather than trying to type up the reply to the same questions over and over again.

It's possible that the initial reply from Matthias to you was simply that.. a pretyped "Canned Reply". The only error was the link was from a while back before the forum was "modified" slightly. The download is still there you just have to look a bit for it. Try this (I know you've already gotten the file you need but this may help someone else trying to solve a similar problem)

Go to:
Downloads - http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/sections.php

scroll down to
Firmware Updates
click on your unit designation (ProfiLux 3 in your case)
http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/section.php?sid=7

the very first item is the download you're looking for but here's a link for it just the same
Flasher FR
http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=48

GHL Support
07.12.2011, 08:23
Software not in download center?

I have replaced the dead link. Thanks for the hint.

mr murphy
19.02.2012, 02:16
i am trying to update to firmware 5.11 from 5.05 so i can use profilux control 5.13 without getting errors. it took me a while but i i managed to download and extract the new firmware file save to desktop then start firmware update. i unplugged powerbar and vortech pab then started update. firstly it said somthing about wait while powerbars... then it said erasing flash, then it said not responding. the error message came and said error while transmitting firmware flash erase no response-8. what does this mean? and is this classed as firmware update fail. will i now have to flash and will i get problems? or should i try again

mr murphy
19.02.2012, 03:08
I too had some major problems here. I wanted to give an update on the issues I encountered and what solved it.

I used a Belkin F5U409-CU USB to Serial adapter. The software is not Windows 7 compatible. I even went to Belkin website and it is not available yet.

I then used another machine with XP. When selecting the Full Operation button, I got another error code. I hit the download button then the dialog box to plug in power cord came up. It finished, but screen was still black.

Then I had to disconnect power cord. Now, all those buttons became available: Erase, Download, Blank Check, Program and verify, etc. I then selected the Full operation button and it uploaded the latest 5.0k firmware.

But, the screen was still black. I then disconnected the power cord and removed adapter. Plugged power cord back in and the Profilux came to life with new firmware.

I hope this information eases somebody’s pain. :cool:

this happened to me i dont think i put power cord in within 2 seconds then profilux switched off. i took out power cord and inserted again and unit came on with new firmware 5.11 :) i did firmware update without pabs connected (powerbar and vortech controller. how will this effect things?)

mr murphy
19.02.2012, 03:27
i have managed to install firmware 5.11 and i have downloaded profliux controll 5.13. i am still experiencing error code when i click vortech pump 1 error code 41. the only reason i can think of is it is a new page not recognized by the vortech controller. the page on 5.10 just had basic timetable of vortech then description underneath. the new page on 5.13 has how you want pump to respond during awc, feed, maintenance

Oceansx
22.02.2013, 08:00
Are the instructions posted by Matthias in the first post still valid for fixing a ProfiLux 3 after a failed firmware update?

I failed in my firmware update. I guess I need to follow the below instructions connecting to the
RS232 port on the ProfiLux?

For users to failing to flash the firmware, the USB port is not an option that will work. Is that correct?

Thanks.

1. download http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=48
3. start "flash.exe"

Gunther
22.02.2013, 08:37
For users to failing to flash the firmware, the USB port is not an option that will work. Is that correct?

If we talk about the Profilux 3 and not the 3.1N or 3.1A, the answer is "Yes, you need a PC with RS232 serial port".

An USB<>RS232 converter also may work, but it depends on this device if it does or not. Devices with FTDI chipset are working best, but there is no guarantee for that.

Oceansx
22.02.2013, 08:52
Thanks Gunther.

Well, I should clarify that I am asking about a 3.1N eX. The model is not even 2 weeks old.

Oceansx
22.02.2013, 08:53
Thanks Gunther.

Well, I should clarify that I am asking about a 3.1N eX. The model is not even 2 weeks old.

Gunther
22.02.2013, 10:57
Well, I should clarify that I am asking about a 3.1N eX

In this case the emergency update also is possible via USB, but it needs some preparations. Unfortunately there is no manual for that yet. Here is a translation from Franks post (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?6387-Hilfe-Profilux-3-ist-tot&p=41439#post41439)

If the update via ProfiLuxControl fails, it´s possible to perform an emergency update with another tool.

Download the flasher tool „Flash-FR.zip“ from http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=48 and unzip into a folder you find afterwards easily (no installation neccessary)
Download the firmware for the Profilux and unzip into a folder you find afterwards easily.
Unplug the ProfiLux from power
Open the ProfiLux casing as shown in the manual
Set a jumper to the pins of JP1
Connect the USB cable to the build-in port of the ProfiLux und an available USB port of your computer
Start the windows device manager and open the selector for "COM and LPT". There you can see the available COM ports of your PC.
Plug in the power cord of the Profilux again. Now there will be a new port „USB Serial Port“ – this is the port of the pro ProfiLux. I f there is a yellow exclamation mark, you have to install the USB driver first.
Start „flash.exe“ from the folder you copy it to.
Change/check the settings as follows (it´s important to have exact this settings):
Target Microcontroller: "MB91F467D"
Crystal Frequency: “4MHz“
Press „Open“ and navigate to the firmware file and select it. The firmware name has to start with „ProfiLux3_“ and has the extension „.mhx“, for example ProfiLux3_V515_GER_ENG.mhx
If there is only a „.zip“ file, you have to unpack it first
Select the COM port at „Set Environment“.
Now press "full operation", there will be a download window.
Press the reset button now to start the download. If it won´t start, check the port setting - it may be the wrong.
If the download is finished, confirm the message with OK and close the flash program.
After that, unplug the profilux, remove the jumper from JP1 (it´s enough to put the jumper only to one pin).
Now the ProfiLux should strart normally if you plug in power. Close the casing now!

Oceansx
22.02.2013, 23:28
Thanks Gunther,

Those instructions were straight forward. ProfiLux is up and running again. It's a good thing I am near-sighted, so I could find the JP1 jumper and Reset switches inside the ProfiLux :)

Following the manual's instructions, it was simple enough to open the unit up. Once the covers were off, the tabs were easy to open up as shown in the manual, but some are oriented upside down from the others, meaning I opened two from the top and two from the bottom. Note: I have two plastic spudgers from iFixit that made this less nerve racking, as plastic on plastic is less likely to scratch, damage, etc. I am now confident I could add an expansion card myself.

Also, I went ahead ordered a USB to serial cable and a regular serial cable for next time. My old Windows 95 laptop that I was about to junk appears to run flasher and has a serial port; so I guess I'll keep it.

Thanks again for the clear instructions, and quick response.

andestang
28.02.2013, 22:59
The last week has given me a reminder on how useless my unit is and what a hassle this thing has been. It has lost its display screen/black (has a history of this) and after many attempts to use the recovery flash I have not gained any progress. Have also tried different updates. It will come on intermittently and very breifly when unplugged and replugged into power. When just left plugged in it will eventually just stay black. It has the EX 3 in it. I have not tried the jumper wire method plus I can't seem to find any pics of the jumper pins as I'd like to be sure, plus not sure if it would make any difference. Any other ideas appreciated.

Gunther
01.03.2013, 09:12
@andestang

Please don´t mix Profilux 3 and 3.1! My description above is for 3.1N and 3.1A only. It´s not possible to emergency flash the Profilux 3 [or an upgraded PLII like you have] via USB nor is there a jumper inside the device as described for the 3.1.

For PL3 emergency update the serial cable is mandatory, best is also to have a PC with native RS232. Do as said in post #1 (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/showthread.php?1274-ProfiLux-3-What-to-do-in-the-case-a-firmware-update-failed&p=6794#post6794) of this thread.

Remark: For step 8 after step 7 you only have a time frame of two seconds - if you need longer, update may fail.

andestang
01.03.2013, 20:10
I haven't done anything other than what is suggested in post #1. Thx for the clarification. Yes I realize the amount of time for the reset to be done.

aqua_digital
02.03.2013, 23:27
If your controller screen is going black unrelated to any prior attempt to a firmware update, this has nothing to do with a firmware update and is more to do with a hardware issue, no amount of firmware attempts will rectify this.

The unit will need to come in for service inspection.

AndreO
06.03.2013, 05:05
follow the directions and P# will come back to life. Just remember that when you unplug the power the usb port also has no power.

andestang
11.03.2013, 21:03
Sending the unit in. I'll update what the fix ended up being and how the customer service went.

aqua_digital
04.04.2013, 13:13
Then you do not have to go rooting around to find a serial to USB adapter then. Please read the section on firmware update.

I

Download the flasher tool „Flash-FR.zip“ from http://support.aquariumcomputer.com/english/download.php?did=48 and unzip into a folder you find afterwards easily (no installation neccessary)
Download the firmware for the Profilux and unzip into a folder you find afterwards easily.
Unplug the ProfiLux from power
Open the ProfiLux casing as shown in the manual
Set a jumper to the pins of JP1
Connect the USB cable to the build-in port of the ProfiLux und an available USB port of your computer
Start the windows device manager and open the selector for "COM and LPT". There you can see the available COM ports of your PC.
Plug in the power cord of the Profilux again. Now there will be a new port „USB Serial Port“ – this is the port of the pro ProfiLux. I f there is a yellow exclamation mark, you have to install the USB driver first.
Start „flash.exe“ from the folder you copy it to.
Change/check the settings as follows (it´s important to have exact this settings):
Target Microcontroller: "MB91F467D"
Crystal Frequency: “4MHz“
Press „Open“ and navigate to the firmware file and select it. The firmware name has to start with „ProfiLux3_“ and has the extension „.mhx“, for example ProfiLux3_V515_GER_ENG.mhx
If there is only a „.zip“ file, you have to unpack it first
Select the COM port at „Set Environment“.
Now press "full operation", there will be a download window.
Press the reset button now to start the download. If it won´t start, check the port setting - it may be the wrong.
If the download is finished, confirm the message with OK and close the flash program.
After that, unplug the profilux, remove the jumper from JP1 (it´s enough to put the jumper only to one pin).
Now the ProfiLux should strart normally if you plug in power. Close the casing now!

This is a 5 minute procedure and i actually prefer using it on all updates as its faster.

If you follow the update path correctly however you should never have to use this process anyway.

argileh
01.10.2013, 18:44
Hi, quick question.

Now that I found a USB-RS232 converter that works with the serial port of my 3ex, I will be updating the firmware from 5.07 to 5.17. How long does the actual firmware update take. Is it a matter of 1-2 minutes or much more.

Thanks

Ibrahim

BigAl07
01.10.2013, 19:08
Every FM update I've done (there have been several) only take a few minutes to complete. In the big picture it's not a lot of information and things transfer/burn pretty quick.

scythanith
17.01.2014, 09:36
Was there a jumper included in the original box of my Profilux 3.1n eX? Or is it under the lid of the unit already? I have to perform the USB flash soon and want to have all of my ducks in a row.

Thanks,
Scott

Irishreefer
18.01.2014, 12:52
No I don't think so I didn't get one with my unit, I used a piece of electric cable touching both prongs removing it within 2 seconds

Irishreefer
18.01.2014, 12:55
Try the firmware recovery with the RS232-port if possible

scythanith
21.01.2014, 01:35
Just an update, GHL included a small black jumper on the JP1 post of my Profilux 3.1n eX unit. I did the flash update and got it working.

Irishreefer
22.01.2014, 18:41
Delighted to hear that scythanith , now to enjoy .:cool:

Best Regards

Paul

Herbklee
07.04.2014, 06:13
I am having a difficult time upgrading to firmware 6.06

Current setup:
PF 3.1 N eX controller
fw 5.15
I use a Macbook pro with Windows XP in bootcamp
I connect using USB cable
I use Flasher FR. I believe I have all the correct settings for Flasher FR(as listed in instructions found on his thread and elsewhere in forum).
I have downloaded latest drivers for built in serial to USB adapter.
I have downloaded latest firmware.

After restarting controller, I get:

ERROR !! NO.006 Unable to open COM port. Nothing more happens.

What m I doing wrong?
Do I need to use a 3rd part serial to USB adapter cable?
Do I need to open up my controller?

Gunther
07.04.2014, 10:19
You try to use the Flasher FR which is for emergency updates only. This is not the way to perform a normal update.

Anyway, if you do so, the jumper inside the Profilux has to be set for USB emergency update first.

Further informations can be found inside the guide for Emergency update ProfiLux3 & ProfiLux31 (http://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=48)

If you follow the steps carefuklly, there should be no problem to become your PL back to life.

scythanith
07.04.2014, 15:19
Don't use the Flasher FR tool unless you had an interrupted firmware update and your profilux is bricked. A simple USB cable from your laptop to the profilux, the same one you'd use to connect with ProfiluxControl is all you need. Connect with PC 6.06 and choose update profilux firmware in the menu at the top. Make sure you transmit sensor data and profilux data from the profilux first in case you have a bad update.

Herbklee
13.04.2014, 02:01
Did this, but I get following error:
Error while transmitting firmware!: FLASHERASE - No response- 8.
Help!

Don't use the Flasher FR tool unless you had an interrupted firmware update and your profilux is bricked. A simple USB cable from your laptop to the profilux, the same one you'd use to connect with ProfiluxControl is all you need. Connect with PC 6.06 and choose update profilux firmware in the menu at the top. Make sure you transmit sensor data and profilux data from the profilux first in case you have a bad update.

scythanith
13.04.2014, 17:47
Then you will have to use the emergency flash link that Gunther posted above. It seemed a little counting at first but once you get the profilux opened up the jumper was included on the pins already, I just had to move it onto both of the pins. Follow the directions precisely!

Herbklee
14.04.2014, 23:22
Then you will have to use the emergency flash link that Gunther posted above. It seemed a little counting at first but once you get the profilux opened up the jumper was included on the pins already, I just had to move it onto both of the pins. Follow the directions precisely!

This in unacceptable for a product with such an impeccable reputation.
I shouldn't have to open up my comntroller just to update the firmware.

Gunther
15.04.2014, 06:28
This in unacceptable for a product with such an impeccable reputation.

Before you blame the Profilux to be recoverable (with very little effort) even if the user has shoot it down, read your earlier post about what you have done and the comments for it again.

And no, it´s not neccessary to open the device if you don´t want to. But in that case you need a the original serial cable and a serial connector on your PC. Only if you want to update via USB it´s neccessary to open the PL.

Herbklee
15.04.2014, 07:12
Before you blame the Profilux to be recoverable (with very little effort) even if the user has shoot it down, read your earlier post about what you have done and the comments for it again.

And no, it´s not neccessary to open the device if you don´t want to. But in that case you need a the original serial cable and a serial connector on your PC. Only if you want to update via USB it´s neccessary to open the PL.

Please don't misunderstand me, I still think the Profilux is still the best and most reliable controller in the market. I just wish it was easier to upgrade the firmware.

I thought the new controllers with the new serial to USB adapter would give both user friendliness and reliability. I guess not.

And no, my controller does not need to be recovered, just upgraded to the newest firmware is all I ask.

Please take my comments as constructive criticism only.

Herbklee
26.04.2014, 23:07
I went ahead and bought a new RS232 to USB cable to try.( FTDI chip)
Now I cannot even connect to my controller.
I can still connect via wifi or USB.

My setup:
Macbook Pro
Windows XP in bootcamp.
All drivers updated

Profilux 3.1 Nex
fw: 5.15

PL Control v. 5.1.7.1
RS485 box ticked
unplugged PAB

In Sum:

Using RS232 to USB cable
- com 2
---> Comunication Error. Error code 28.

using USB to USB cable
- com 3
---> Error while transmitting firmware. Flasherase. No Response - 8.

Please Help.
My computer does not have serial port and i'd rather not open up my controller to update if possible.

Thanks.

doggydoc10
27.04.2014, 01:06
What rs232 to USB you bought?

Herbklee
27.04.2014, 03:20
What rs232 to USB you bought?

Sabrent Model CB- FTDI USB 2.0 to serial cable adapter.

Matthias
27.04.2014, 11:06
I don't know if it has already been asked and if you considered that, but I don't want to read 10 pages of this thread

when a connection error occurs during the update process we have to keep in mind:
1. the connection seems to work in general, otherwise you would not be at the point where the firmware is transmitted
2. this means that something happens during the update, e.g. a socket switches (because the powerbar goes into the error condition after ProfiLux stops working)

did you try this?
a) work with a PC or notebook which is grounded (powers supply connected)
b) do the update when all peripheral devices are disconnected?

PS: I don't know why your serial converter doesnt work, we can't guarantee the compatibility of every existing hardware and I don't know if you installed all need drivers and if the Com-Port settings are correct and so on

doggydoc10
27.04.2014, 12:50
I was having all sorts of issues when updating FW via USB to USB connection. I then purchased a NEW RS232 TO USB cable and ALL MY ISSUES went away.

I do agree with Mathias statement re communication....and maybe your issue is with your USB cable....perhaps not having the right drivers?
This is the RS 232 to USB cable I use currently.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/27/zehe6y2a.jpg
I know it's been stated here that USB to USB is perfect to perform updates, but I have been using this cable for a while and NEVER HAS ANY ISSUES. Again this is JUST IN MY OWN EXPERIENCE!

chrisson
08.07.2017, 16:17
The link in the main post does not work.
My profileux crashed at the update,what should I do

Vinny
09.07.2017, 03:19
Go to our downloads page on our website. The respective manual is available for download.

nebojsar
06.02.2018, 22:41
I have problem with profilux 3.1 Ex. It hangs during communication both USB or LAN, simply app shows that is connected and few seconds later connection breaks. In firmware field is written 1.0000 and serial is 0.
Device itself works and display shows firmware 5.15. I wanted to update firmware but I could not find any newer version or downloads page ?! I've opened device, put jumper short, installed flasher but I could not find
some new flash.

When I connect device to usb it takes usb port, when on lan takes web address but I cannot access to it. Any idea how to solve this?

PIWAWT
06.02.2018, 23:53
@nebojsar
Download the latest version of GHLContolCenter and install it (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/ghl-control-center-v1-1-1-1/).
Do not open the program
The latest firmware can be found in the installation directory of the GHLControlCenter.
The Emergency Flash Tool can be found here (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-3-3-1-emergency-flash-tool/)
The instructions here (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-3-profilux-3-1-emergency-update-instructions/)

regards Pit

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 00:00
I have problem with profilux 3.1 Ex. It hangs during communication both USB or LAN, simply app shows that is connected and few seconds later connection breaks. In firmware field is written 1.0000 and serial is 0.
Device itself works and display shows firmware 5.15. I wanted to update firmware but I could not find any newer version or downloads page ?! I've opened device, put jumper short, installed flasher but I could not find
some new flash.

When I connect device to usb it takes usb port, when on lan takes web address but I cannot access to it. Any idea how to solve this?

I had working unit with firmware 5.15 and now I don't have working unit at all. I've used steps from start of this thread, installed flash tool, had RS232/USB adapter, adapter was able to read from COM1, used firmware
6.31 for procedure from latest control center, pressed button to start procedure and than added power, Procedure started - After erase procedure, when write procedure start device several times reported error 13 and
ceased procedure. I tried few times, it started again, erase, and than write and procedure failed. Now I don't have display live and complete device seems dead. Is there any chance how I can save it?

PIWAWT
07.02.2018, 00:31
With the flash tool you can connect to Profilux?
Do you have selectet the correct micocontroller MB91F467D in the flash program

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 00:36
With the flash tool you can connect to Profilux?
Do you have selectet the correct micocontroller MB91F467D in the flash program

I can connect to profilux with flash tool. I have selected right microcontroller in dropdown menu. Procedure starts, first sequence of download pass, second of erase (1/39) pass,
third sequence (1/2176) starts and stops on various places (125/2176 or 254/2176) with reporting error no 13.

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 00:47
Here is printscreen, it is almost always on location 125

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 00:59
I've also found what error13 is:

No.013 Program error
Cause: The response at the time of Program&Verify processing is unusual.
Action: Please reperform by checking whether a chip is blank.

What I actually need to do in this case?

PIWAWT
07.02.2018, 06:53
No.013 Program error

Please check if there is a driver update for your USB/RS232 adapter.
Check the USB cable. Test another
Try another USB port
If you have a notebook, make sure the power supply is plugged in.

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 07:40
No.013 Program error

Please check if there is a driver update for your USB/RS232 adapter.
Check the USB cable. Test another
Try another USB port
If you have a notebook, make sure the power supply is plugged in.

Change USB port, checked driver, I had last version. Tried another USB port, PC is desktop so that is fine.
I don't have currently another cable but I will look for one during the day, that is only option left. Here is error which device returns:

PIWAWT
07.02.2018, 07:57
Start the Flash program as administrator
Check the port settings in the Device Manager (COMx). Check another COM port. You can change it under Extended.
Do you have another power supply for the Profilux? Caution: 12VDC

Sorry is in German

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 08:13
Start the Flash program as administrator
Check the port settings in the Device Manager (COMx). Check another COM port. You can change it under Extended.
Do you have another power supply for the Profilux? Caution: 12VDC

Sorry is in German

Did all, checked in device manager, changed to com4, followed on flash program, same issue. Tried two other
power adaptors as I have from doser 1 which is completely same and nothing changed. I have no idea what else to try.

nebojsar
07.02.2018, 10:27
Issue solved. Things which helped - Old 2009 desktop pc with xp os and physical com port present on board. RS232 cable from our server room and brand new flash app from cypres website. It is important to mention
that flasher which is provided on downloads page did not worked, just new one from chip manufacturer site. Process went fine from first attempt. I've checked within app, serial number and all parameters are visible, load and save data
works, fw readout is 6.31 as it should be, device is alive again. I will try later today LAN and USB connection as this was initial reason I refreshed firmware.

Thank you very much for help and support. Sometimes without old technology new things cannot work.

stargate
18.02.2018, 19:54
Hello!

I have a profilux3 with firmware 5.10. Can you tell me how to update the firmware to 6. I can not find it in the download.

Thanks for your help.

nebojsar
18.02.2018, 20:07
Hello!

I have a profilux3 with firmware 5.10. Can you tell me how to update the firmware to 6. I can not find it in the download.

Thanks for your help.

Download GHL control center, when you install app you will find in installation directory firmware folder. There you can find latest firmware.

stargate
14.03.2018, 19:17
Thank you for the answer.

When I open the control center (my profilux 3 is connected by the USB), I have an error message: "The connected Profilux has too low firmware version and cannot be used with this version of Profilux Control. It is the reason why I need to update the firmware of profilux 3.

In theory I should connect with the ProfiLuxSer, but I do not have a corresponding port on my computer.

What other solution for the update in version 6?

Thank you

PIWAWT
14.03.2018, 19:29
If your Profilux has a connection to the PC, you need an emergency update, or you need an very
old control software.
You need:
ProfiLux 3 & 3.1 Emergency Update Instructions (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-3-profilux-3-1-emergency-update-instructions/)
ProfiLux 3 & 3.1 Emergency Flash Tool (https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/profilux-3-3-1-emergency-flash-tool/)
the newest Firmware. you can find it in the GHCControlCenter installation directory like:
C:\Program Files (x86)\GHLControlCenter_V1113\Firmware\ProfiLux 3

regards Pit

PS:The GHLControlCenter must be closed during emercency update.

tropicreef
18.06.2021, 15:08
Hallo, ich habe einen Profilux 3 mit Firmware 6.29 verbunden via WLAN mit dem PC. Ich möchte auf Firmware 6.43 upgraden. Das neue ControlCenter inkl Firmware ProfiLux3_V643.mhx habe ich heruntergeladen.

Es kommt immer die Fehlermeldung12924

Geht das Update nur über USB Kabel?

Tuffi20
18.06.2021, 15:28
Hallo, ja das geht nur über USB direkt
Gruß Mario