PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed

68darius13
03.12.2009, 20:09
Hi,
Each time I was feeding or submerging my hands into the tank, I would feel a slight electric shock. I unplugged every appliance one by one and finally got to the profilux computer. I couldn't figure out what was wrong until i disconnected the pH, salinity and redox probes. Once they were disconnected, i didn't get any electrical shocks. However, if any one of them are connected, I'm getting electrical shocks again. The temperature probe is not affecting anything. I'm also not getting steady redox readings. It always jumps up and down by 100.
Any help would be appreciated.
Regards Darius

aqua_digital
04.12.2009, 01:05
most likely unearthed connection from pc to Profilux

We had similar issue recently the client found the RS232 port on the lap top had no earth so it was using the probe as its earth :(

This can also damage the profiLux

68darius13
04.12.2009, 21:50
Thanks for the quick reply.
My laptop is not connected, so it's definitely not that. I'm puzzled, I can't figure out what is wrong.
Thanks
Darius

aqua_digital
04.12.2009, 21:54
The probes literally have no more than mV going down them so would never crate a shock situation if there was that sort of voltage the ProfiLux would blow a gasket in a big way.

The internal voltage of the Profilux is no greater than 12v, this can be varified by the data on the power supply.

The likely hood is something is earthing through the profiLux and when you remove the probes the connection is lost.

Usual suspects are pump and ballasts, my suggestion would be to fit a grounding probe

Hope that helps

Armin
10.12.2009, 11:57
The probes literally have no more than mV going down them so would never crate a shock situation if there was that sort of voltage the ProfiLux would blow a gasket in a big way.

The internal voltage of the Profilux is no greater than 12v, this can be varified by the data on the power supply.

The likely hood is something is earthing through the profiLux and when you remove the probes the connection is lost.

Usual suspects are pump and ballasts, my suggestion would be to fit a grounding probe

Hope that helps

"Usual suspects are pump and ballasts, my suggestion would be to fit a grounding probe" - how would you do that?

aqua_digital
10.12.2009, 23:45
You can buy aquarium grounding probes from fish stores.

Hanna make one. Or you can make your own from a piece of stainless rod, attach a wire to the end and connect to a certified earthing point in your home