PDA

View Full Version : Temp Prob 0

CaptCrash
03.12.2009, 17:29
I have a new Profilux II Ex with firmware version 4.08

All probes were reporting values, but some of these were off by quite a bit.

eg. water temp on three thermometers showed 27, 26.7 and 26.5 degrees c. I took 26.7 to be a reasonable value.
The temp probe from the Profilux showed 39.8.

As I am seting up the unit, I started the PH calibration and this ran through sucessfully.

I then moved onto the temp, and went into the "Adjust Temperature" section for Temperature probe 1. and decreased the temp by 12 degrees. This then showed 27.8 degrees. I then decreased the temp by a further 2.0 degrees. this then showed 25.8 (this was an error I ment to decrease by 1.1)
I then increased the temp by 0.9 degrees.

At this point the temp showed 0 degrees.

When I now try to adjust the temp, it shows 0 degrees.

I have done all of the following
disconnected and reconnected the temp probe
power cycled the controller
factory reset the controller

None of these have an effect

In the Calibration Data section of ProFilux Control II version 4.0.8.1 I receive the following information

Value 1 20 deg ADC 1 -2147483648
Value 2 30 deg ADC 2 -2147483648

Can some one give me an idea as to what I can try OR is the Temp probe broken?

CaptCrash
03.12.2009, 17:41
some additional info

I just restored both the settings and the sensor data files from before the factory reset

now the temp is showing

Value 1 20 deg ADC 1 0
Value 2 30 deg ADC 2 0

Matthias
03.12.2009, 18:03
the temp. showed a complete wrong value, very likely that the probe was not plugged into the correct port (plugged in level?)

-> the correction was wrong, usually you correct here +/- 0.1°C not 10°C or more...

you can restore the factory calibration (which has usually a precision of 0.1°C):
on the ProfiLux device go to the menu "temperature", then to "calibration", then confirm
that's it, now the ADC values should be correct again (someting like 700 and 300)
and when the plug is in the correct port you should see now reasonable readings

CaptCrash
06.12.2009, 14:50
I have verified that the temp probe is connected to the lower port on the PII Ex. As far as I am aware and can figure out this is the correct one.

The probe did work for about 2 days and has then stopped.

What is the next step?

Matthias
07.12.2009, 08:38
The lower port is correct.

Did you recover the calibration as I advised in my first post?

CaptCrash
08.12.2009, 05:46
From the main menu, I selected sensors, temp 1, calibration. (I think this was the path, as I am typing this at work)

This made no real difference.

In the software it still shows the temp as 0.

On the Profilux it shows as ---

Any other sugestions?

Matthias
08.12.2009, 08:30
if it shows "---" you have deactivated the sensor!

activate it again

CaptCrash
09.12.2009, 03:53
Sorry, that should have been *** not --- (I am typing this at work, not at home and I put in the wrong information).

I did deactivate the temp sensor as my lights were turning off with the temp error. But this has nothing to do with the issue. I just posted the incorrect display.

The issue is that the temp sensor displays either 40 degrees or 0 degrees. since the factory reset on the controller it has only displayed 0 degrees.

Nothing changes this.

Matthias
09.12.2009, 08:27
this becomes really confusing now

is on the ProfiLux 40°C, 0°C or *** displayed?
if all is true - when what under which condition?

a) you would see *** if the probe is plugged in the wrong port or if the probe is defective (e.g. broken wire or bad plug)
b) you see 0° and 40° if the calibration is still bad after you invoked "adjust temp." - did you restore the calibration as I suggested? what are the calibration data?

CaptCrash
09.12.2009, 11:25
I am currently sitting in front of the Unit.

The menus that you refered to in your first post "on the ProfiLux device go to the menu "temperature", then to "calibration" dont exist in that form.

I have assumed that you mean "Sensor Settings", "Temperature 1", "Calibration" and that you have skipped the "Sensor Settings" menu. (or I guess you mean press the button on the front of the controller with C on it)?

Either way my next post states that I did this "From the main menu, I selected sensors, temp 1, calibration. (I think this was the path, as I am typing this at work)

This made no real difference.
"

My apologies for incorrectly putting in that the controller was displaying --- it was ***. As I said, I was typing it from work, and remembered the wrong symbol.

I have also done another calibration today.

In the Temperature 1 menu I have the following values
Nominal Value 26.7C
Operational Hours 177.8h
Hystteresis 0.20C
Alarm Active No
Nocturn Change Yes
Summer Switch No
Therapy Duration in days 3
Display Celsius
Cooling differ 0.0c
Extension -> Extension Change (did not this as I did not know what it would do)
Calibration (allready performed today)
Measurement Range Aquarium
1-10V maxi at 2.0C
Activity Yes
Current.Act.Value ***
Op.mode contr. Twopos.control.
Signal filter 05

If I look at the data in the Sensor Overview page of ProfiLux Control v4.0.8.1

Temperature 1 has a current value of 38.2C with a nominal of 26.7C

The Measurement data log has the following

Date Time Temperature 1[°C]
9/12/2009 8:43:00 AM 38,2
9/12/2009 9:43:00 AM 38,2
9/12/2009 10:43:00 AM 38,2
9/12/2009 11:43:00 AM 38,2
9/12/2009 12:43:00 PM 38,2
9/12/2009 1:43:00 PM 38,2
9/12/2009 2:43:00 PM 38,2
9/12/2009 3:43:00 PM 38,2
9/12/2009 4:43:00 PM 38,2
9/12/2009 5:43:00 PM 38,2

As you can see, the controller and the software DO NOT agree on what the temperature is.

Is there anything else you can suggest or do I also log this with the supplier as broken?

As for the comments about the equipment being very reliable, I have also had this feedback from many other people. I have a number of items from GHL (controller, 2x power bars, 4 probes, 2 level sensors, wireless LAN and have pre-ordered the PIIIEx upgrade) and I am having issues with two of the components.

I am not looking to blame people I just want the equipment that I have paid good money for to work as it is suppost to.

I thank you for your assistance, but do remind you that I am in a position where I have spent thousands of dollars on your products and have as far as I can tell, had two failures within a couple of days of operation (I have had the units for about 2-3 weeks).

Sorry for the length of this but I want to get it sorted.

Darren

Matthias
09.12.2009, 15:08
"I have assumed that you mean "Sensor Settings", "Temperature 1", "Calibration" and that you have skipped the "Sensor Settings" menu. (or I guess you mean press the button on the front of the controller with C on it)?

Either way my next post states that I did this "From the main menu, I selected sensors, temp 1, calibration. (I think this was the path, as I am typing this at work)"

this is the right way to restore the calibration. If you had answered my question about the currently displayed ADC-values (in ProfiLuxControl) I could say you for sure if the calibration is the problem or not.
Please tell me ADC1 and ADC2.

CaptCrash
10.12.2009, 03:55
The values you are looking for have been in my posts all along.

On the 04/12/2009 After the factory reset the values for the ADC were
Value 1 20 deg ADC 1 -2147483648
Value 2 30 deg ADC 2 -2147483648

On the same day, after restoring both the settings and the sensor data files from before the factory reset

now the temp is showing

Value 1 20 deg ADC 1 0
Value 2 30 deg ADC 2 0

I then left the unit with the temp probe disabled for a few days.
I re-enabled the temp probe

On the 7th or 8th (not sure when) I did several calibrations, at this time the ADC values stopped being 0 and started being

Value 1 20 deg ADC 1 677
Value 2 30 deg ADC 2 304

These are the same values as I have been getting for the last day or so. The temp that is presented is 38.2 deg C.

This is the same as the last logs I posted.

I have only been recording what has happened as I have posted in this thread. So the dates may be off slightly, appologies if this causes any confusion.

Darren

Matthias
10.12.2009, 08:25
Value 1 20 deg ADC 1 677
Value 2 30 deg ADC 2 304

OK, these ADC values are correct, the calibration has been recovered now

maybe you did not confirm with "yes" at the end of the calibration, this may explain why the values had not been restored immediately. This works usually without any probblem.

The ProfiLuxControl is showing somethingabout 38°C, and I guess ProfiLux is showing ***, which means that the probe is not present or defective. (ProfiLuxControl is not able to recognize that the probe is defective, that is the reason why it shows a wrong value instead of ***).

-> conclusion: if probe is plugged in the correct port then the plug of the probe may be damaged (please check the pins of the PS/2 plug). If you are able to open the plug and check if the wires are OK then do so (this would save us all money and time), if not then the probe must be replaced. I am sorry I can't tell you something else.

CaptCrash
10.12.2009, 09:41
conclusion: if probe is plugged in the correct port then the plug of the probe may be damaged (please check the pins of the PS/2 plug).

I have previously check the pins, and will do so again tonight to verify that they are ok.

If you are able to open the plug and check if the wires are OK then do so (this would save us all money and time), if not then the probe must be replaced.

I will have a look at doing this tonight. Do you mean to cut open the plug or does it unscrew in some manner?

Matthias
10.12.2009, 10:23
I will have a look at doing this tonight. Do you mean to cut open the plug or does it unscrew in some manner?

you need not to screw or cut, just pull the metal parts (with small pliers), the inner part of the plug has only been inserted into the plug cover

CaptCrash
11.12.2009, 03:27
you need not to screw or cut, just pull the metal parts (with small pliers), the inner part of the plug has only been inserted into the plug cover
Sorry, I didnt have time to do this last night, I will get to it over the weekend.

What I did do, was reroute the cable. During this process the probe worked for while and displayed temp on the display of the controller.

I will get it disconnected over the weekend and look to see if there is a loose wire at the connector end.

Darren

aqua_digital
12.12.2009, 15:38
It really sounds like the probe is not seated in correctly, my test unit here has a very tight fit temp socket and it virtually clicks into place.

Here to help

skippy
01.01.2010, 06:05
I have the same problem when I upgraded my unit today.

It was the probe was not seated in correctly its a very tight fit between the ProfiLux3 eX rear plate and the temp probe connector. Which can be a good thing as the connector will not disconnect itself very easily.

NewReefer
01.01.2010, 22:50
Hi there and Happy New Year to all,

I'm having a temperature control problem I'm hoping to get some help with. I have my Profilux Plus II ex set to control two heaters, and the Profilux doesn't seem to be turning them on according to the nominal temperature I set in Profilux Control, which is 25 C. I have the two heaters set on a digital powerbar on sockets S1 and S2. In the Profilux Control program they are both on Temperature 1 and Heater. At first they both worked great and did keep the set temperature, but today I noticed there was a drop in temperature of 2 degrees. I first thought that the heaters were undersized for my tank, so I unplugged one from the digital powerbar and plugged in a heater of greater wattage. At first the heater did come on, as I could see the indicator light on. Now, however, the heater has not come on and the temperature keeps dropping. I'm confused. Thinking it was a heater issue I again unplugged it from the digital powerbar and plugged it into the mains. The heater does come on, so I'm guessing it's something with the Profilux. Is there something I should be doing differently? Any help as always will be greatly appreciated.

NewReefer
01.01.2010, 22:52
[QUOTE=NewReefer;7178]Hi there and Happy New Year to all,

I'm having a temperature control problem I'm hoping to get some help with. I have my Profilux Plus II ex set to control two heaters, and the Profilux doesn't seem to be turning them on according to the nominal temperature I set in Profilux Control, which is 25 C. I have the two heaters set on a digital powerbar on sockets S1 and S2. In the Profilux Control program they are both on Temperature 1 and Heater. At first they both worked great and did keep the set temperature, but today I noticed there was a drop in temperature of 2 degrees. I first thought that the heaters were undersized for my tank, so I unplugged one from the digital powerbar and plugged in a heater of greater wattage. At first the heater did come on, as I could see the indicator light on. Now, however, the heater has not come on and the temperature keeps dropping. I'm confused. Thinking it was a heater issue I again unplugged it from the digital powerbar and plugged it into the mains. The heater does come on, so I'm guessing it's something with the Profilux. Is

NewReefer
01.01.2010, 22:56
I'm terribly sorry for accidentally posting this twice--my apologies. I will post this as a new thread.

aqua_digital
01.01.2010, 23:05
what does the temperature probe on the ProfiLux read?

What have you set the thermastat on the heater to?

What is the hysterisis set to?

NewReefer
01.01.2010, 23:18
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have the thermostat set on both heaters to 27 C. I have the hysteresis set as the default, 0.2 C. The temperature probe is reading 23 C.

aqua_digital
01.01.2010, 23:33
Here are some tests.

Program the socket on digital power bar to always on and make sure it switches on, once checked all ok then switch back to original setting

Turn heater stat up to full (do not leave like this, this is for testing) now see if the heaters come on.

NewReefer
02.01.2010, 00:36
Ok, I just did what you said and so far the sockets and their heaters are on. I know I don't leave them on full, but what should I now turn them down to? If I ever need to change heaters in the future, should I turn the respective socket off first in Profilux Control, unplug the heater, then re-enable the socket when a new heater is plugged in? I'm just curious.

aqua_digital
02.01.2010, 00:44
It makes no difference how you put it back to what it was, this will not effect anything.

It looks like your heater stats are quite far out, this is not uncommon at all. get your tank to the desire temp based on the GHL Temp probe then set the thermastats slightly above this point.

NewReefer
02.01.2010, 01:08
Thanks so much for your help. I'll keep an eye on the temperature, and once it reaches 25 C, then I'll turn the heater thermostats down to 27 C. Once again, your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!:D

aqua_digital
02.01.2010, 01:12
If 27 was turning them off, by putting them back to this setting you may just give your self the same issue again, which is the heater stats over riding the profiLux settings.

Do as you say turn down to 27 and see how it goes, if you get the same issue again you may have to turn them up a bit. It seems like your heaters 27degrees is very close to the 25 degrees of the profiLux

NewReefer
02.01.2010, 04:27
Thanks for that bit of advice--I actually ended up turning the heater thermostats up to in between 28-29 degrees, and I've been watching the temp and so far it seems to be holding nicely.